表情符号的兴起
The rise of the emoji
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是凯瑟琳。
– the show that brings you an interesting topic, authentic listening practice and six new items of vocabulary.
该节目会奉上有趣的话题,纯正的听力练习和单词,以及六个新单词。
I'm Dan…
我是丹。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
We’ll be discussing the rise of those little graphics we call emojis and emoticons.
在今天的节目中我们将讨论一些小图形的兴起,我们称之为表情符号和情感符。
You know, I think emojis are a vital tool for communication.
你知道的,表情符号是交流中非常重要的工具。
And actually, they’re not that new, either.
事实上,它们也不是新近才出现的。
Oh really?
真的吗?
Well, that’s the perfect opportunity to ask this week’s question.
这是引出今天问题的绝佳机会。
When was the first emoticon used?
首个情感符是什么时候开始使用的?
Was it a) 1606 b) 1862 c) 1982?
a) 1606年? b) 1862年? c) 1982年?
It must be 1982. I’ll go with c).
一定是1982年。我选c)。
We'll find out if you’re right or wrong later in the programme.
之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
You know, I think we should clear one thing up before we go any further:
在我们继续讨论前,我们要弄清一件事。
what's the difference between an emoticon and an emoji?
情感符和表情符号的区别是什么?
Good point. Emoticons came first.
好问题。最先出现的是情感符。
They're the images made using normal keys on a keyboard – usually punctuation, letters and numbers.
这些图形由键盘上普通的按键组成,通常是标点符号、字母和数字。
For example a colon – two dots - followed by the curved line of a close brackets is a…
例如,一个冒号,也就是两个点,加上右括号的曲线,就组成了……
A smiley face. Something you use in way too many of your emails!
一个笑脸。你在邮件中经常用到这些。
Well, thanks! Whereas an emoji is something completely different.
谢谢。然而表情符号是完全不同的。
It’s an actual image.
那是实实在在的图像。
It could be a simple, yellow, smiley face;
可以是是简单的,黄色的笑脸。
or something like a dancing lady;
也可能是正在跳舞的女士。
or even a bowl of noodles…
或者是一碗面条。
Ah yes, all those little images we have in our phones.
是的,这些图像我们手机里都有。
But you’ll have to convince me – why do people use them so much?
但你得说服我,为什么人们会大量使用这些符号?
Well, let’s listen to Professor Vyv Evans.
我们听听韦弗·埃文斯教授的看法。
He wrote a book called The Emoji Code:
他写了一本书,名叫《表情符号密码》。
They enable us to express emotion and empathy in digital communication.
这些符号可以让我们在数字化交流中表达情感和同理心。
Increasingly, what we're finding is that digital communication is taking over from certain aspects of face-to-face interaction.
我们发现数字化交流越来越多的取代了面对面互动的某些方面。
In the UK today, for example, adults spend 22 hours online on average each week.
在如今的英国,成年人平均每周上网的时间长达22小时。
One of the reasons emojis are so interesting is that they really do enable us to express our emotional selves much more effectively.
表情符号之所以很有意思,其中一个原因是它们可以让我们更高效地表达自己的情感。
Ok so he used a very useful word - empathy.
所以他用了一个很有用的词:同理心。
It means the ability to show you understand someone else’s feelings. Ok – tell me more Dan.
它展示了你理解其他人感受的能力。丹,多说一点吧。
Yes – adding an emoticon can show you understand and express emotion, and show empathy – more clearly.
好的,添加情感符表示你理解并表达情感,更清楚地表达了你的同理心。
In digital communication we lack the visual signals we have in face-to-face interaction – as he says.
在数字化交流中,我们缺乏面对面互动时具有的视觉信号,就如教授所言。
Interaction, meaning when people or things communicate with each other.
互动是指人或事物和他人进行交流。
We can also interact with things like machines, computers and social media.
我们也可以和事物进行互动,例如机器、计算机和社交媒体。
Yes, Professor Evans says 60% of information when we're talking to each other comes from non-verbal cues.
没错。埃文斯教授说,我们和他人交谈时,百分之六十的信息来自于非口头暗示。
Wow, that’s a lot. A cue is a signal that you need to do something.
占了很大比重啊。Cue是指你需要做某事的信号。
For example, an actor goes on stage after their cue.
例如,演员在接收到暗示后上台表演。
And non-verbal means without using spoken language.
非口头的是指不使用口头语言。
So, here in the studio there are lots of other non-verbal signals about how we’re feeling - non-verbal cues.
在演播室,有很多表达我们感受的非口头信号。
For example my facial expression, my body language, the look in my eyes, Dan.
例如我的面部表情,我的肢体语言,我眼神中的内容。
There’s a glint of rage in there somewhere, Neil.
有一丝愤怒的光芒隐藏其中。
Ok, so let’s apply this to digital communication.
我们将其运用在数字化交流中。
Imagine I sent you a text saying I hit my finger with a hammer – how would you respond?
想想一下我给你发信息说我用锤子伤了手指,你会怎么回复?
Well, it depends. Did you hurt yourself badly?
这依情况而定。你伤的很重吗?
If I followed it with a sad face emoji, then…?
如果我在后面加上一个悲伤脸的表情符号,怎么样呢?
Then I guess I’d know you hurt yourself. Poor you.
那我会猜你伤了你自己。可怜的你。
But if I followed it with a laughing emoji – the one with the tears coming out because I’m laughing so much?
但如果我在后面加上一个可笑的表情,就是那个笑出眼泪的表情,因为我在大笑,会怎么样呢?
Then I’d probably reply saying how stupid and clumsy you are!
那我也许会回复你太蠢了,太笨了!
Exactly – without adding the emoji – it’s hard to know my emotional state.
没错,不加表情符号,很难知道我的情绪状态。
The emoji is the non-verbal cue – like my facial expression.
表情符号是非口头的暗示,就像我的面部表情。
By the way, is there an emoji meaning clumsy?
顺便说一下,有表情符号表示笨拙的吗?
Clumsy, means physically awkward – someone who’s clumsy falls over a lot and drops things.
Clumsy,是指尴尬的,笨拙的。某人经常摔跤、掉东西可以说是笨拙的。
Anyway, you were saying emoticons aren’t as new as I think?
你之前说情感符并不像我认为的是新近出现的?
Yes, I asked when they were invented.
没错,我问你它们是什么时候发明的?
Is it a)1606, b)1862 or c)1982?
a) 1606年? b) 1862年? c) 1982年?
I said 1982.
我选的是1982年。
Well, in fact, a witty speech Abraham Lincoln reprinted in a newspaper as far back as 1862 included a semi colon with a close brackets.
事实上,亚伯拉罕·林肯1862年在报纸上翻印一则幽默的演讲时,使用了冒号和右括号。
Like a winking face?
像是眨眼睛的表情?
Exactly. Though people think this was sadly just a typographical error – or what we normally call a typo.
没错。尽管人们认为那只是印刷错误,或者我们称之为排印错误。
A typo – a spelling mistake made when typing too fast or carelessly.
排印错误是指打字过快或粗心时造成的拼写错误。
The official birth of emoticons is usually given as 1982,
情感符正式诞生是1982年。
when a US professor instructed his students to use smiley faces to indicate jokes - in a digital communication.
那时一个美国教授指导他的学生在数字化交流中用笑脸暗示玩笑。
Wow, so they’re over 30 years old.
哇,它们已经有30岁了。
Maybe I should start using them.
也许我该开始使用它们。
Let’s round up with another look at today’s words.
让我们再看一看今天的单词。
Sure. The first word we had was empathy.
好的。第一个单词是同理心。
Do you have a lot of empathy, Neil?
你有很强的同理心吗?
Yes, I think I’m quite good at understanding other people's feelings.
我觉得我很擅长理解他人的感受。
My friends tell me that, anyway!
我的朋友经常这么评价我。
It’s important to empathise with your colleagues too.
理解同事的感受也很重要。
That’s not what I saw in your eyes!
我在你的眼中没读出这些。
Yes, empathy is an important part of all human interaction.
同理心是所有人类互动中非常重要的部分。
Nicely done. If two people interact, it means they communicate with each other and react to each other.
没错。如果两个人互动,是指他们彼此交流,并作出反应。
It’s a pretty broad term.
这是一个很广泛的词。
We could also talk about how the way children interact with the internet.
我们也可以说孩子和网络互动。
Way too much!
有很多说法可以用到。
Next up, we had non-verbal, meaning without spoken language.
下一个词我们提到非口头的,是指不使用口头语言。
When I first travelled to Poland, I used a lot of non-verbal communication to get my message across.
当我第一次去波兰,我使用了很多非口头交流去传达信息。
Hand movements, counting with fingers, things like that.
手势,数指头,类似这些。
Next word, Dan?
我们看下一个单词?
Next word… that is my cue to say the next word – which is in fact – cue.
下一个单词,关于下一个单词我的暗示是,事实上就是暗示这个词。
A cue is a signal to do something.
暗示是指要做某事的信号。
A commander could give his officer a cue to attack.
指挥官会给士兵攻击的暗示。
Or I could give you a cue to… sing a song?
我也会给你暗示,去唱个歌?
No thanks. I’ll stick with defining words, thank you.
不,谢谢了。我要继续给词下定义,谢谢。
Like clumsy – meaning physically awkward.
Clumsy,是指尴尬的,笨拙的。
I’d have to say Dan, you’re a sporty guy, a talented footballer - you’re not clumsy at all.
我会说丹,你是一个运动潮人,有天赋的足球运动员,你一点也不笨拙。
That's what I thought until I broke my leg – after a clumsy opponent ran into me…
在我摔断腿之前我也是这么认为的。一个笨拙的对手撞了我。
Ouch. Finally – we had type.
最后我们提及了type(类型)。
No hang on, that’s not right. It should say typo.
不,等等,不对。我们说的是typo(排印错误)。
A typo is a mistake in a written document, or a digital file or message.
排印错误是指书面文件、数字化文件或信息中存在的错误。
Always check your scripts for typos before reading them, Neil.
在读稿子前,一定要检查你的文稿有没有排印错误。
And, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Please join us again soon!
我们下次再会!
And we are on social media too - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. See you there.
我们也有社交媒体,记得访问我们的Twitter, Facebook, Instagram 和 YouTube。在那见!
Bye!
再见!