面对面!
Face-to-face
Welcome back to English at Work. It’s the big day of the International Plastics Conference and a good opportunity for the staff at Tip Top Trading to promote its business.
欢迎回到职场英语。今天可是国际塑料会议的大日子,是顶级贸易公司发展业务的好机会。
But hold on, who’s this? It’s Mr Socrates, the big boss from America.
但稍等一下,看看这是谁?没错,Socrates先生,来自美国的大老板。
Hey, you guys, where have you been?
嗨,你们这些家伙,都去哪了?
Ah, Mr Socrates… nice to see you again. I’d heard you were in town.
啊,Socrates先生,很高兴再次见到你。我听说你在城里。
Hello Mr Socrates.
你好,Socrates先生。
I’ve been looking for you everywhere. I need to catch up with you and see how business is going.
嘿,Paul,我可是到处找你,想了解下业务进展情况呢。
Oh very, very well. We’re selling Imperial Lemons to France and Anna is developing plastic vegetables.
哦,发展很好。我们正在向法国出售帝国柠檬,Anna正在研发新式塑料蔬菜。
Ah Anna! My favourite girl. Still doing a good job?
哦,Anna,我最喜欢的女孩!怎么样?工作还好吧?
I’m doing my best.
恩,我在尽我所能。
In fact she’s been doing my job for a few days… had a bit of a biscuit accident…
其实,Anna代我工作了几天,因为我发生了饼干事故。
Yeah, well that’s not hard for you, Paul. Listen, listen I need to talk you - shouldn’t the others be doing some networking now?
是的,不过对你来说不是难事吧,Paul?听着,我要和你谈谈。至于其他人,你们不该积累点人脉吗?
Of course, that’s why we’re here. Right, Tom, I need you to catch up with some of our existing customers – do some schmoozing
应该,当然应该,要不我们在这干嘛。那个,Tom,你去联系下现有客户,陪他们聊聊天。
and Anna, could you talk to some potential new customers? I need to speak to Mr Socrates.
Anna,你去给潜在新客户打打电话,我要和Socrates先生聊聊。
Right. Erm, networking… what exactly am I supposed to do?
恩,好的。不过,我该怎样建立人脉呢?
Networking is about helping your business through connecting with other people in the industry.
建立人脉,即靠联系同行业人士帮助公司发展业务。
It involves meeting people and talking to them, sharing information, hopefully helping each other and ultimately, getting new business.
包括与人见面、谈话聊天、分享信息、互帮互助及获取新业务。
So I have to talk to strangers?
这么说,我要和陌生人讲话?
Well, yes. Introduce yourself, say who you work for. Ask them about their business and what they do.
恩,是的。你要介绍一下自己在哪家公司。然后问问他们做什么生意。
Then explain a bit about what you do and who uses your products.
记得解释你的工作是什么,谁在用你们的产品。
If it’s appropriate, say that you may be able to help them.
如果合适的话,说你或许可以帮助他们。
Then see if they would consider buying from you. Just be chatty and friendly.
最后看他们是否考虑购买你们的产品。要保持健谈友好哟~
Thanks. I’ll give it a try. (Talking to someone) Excuse me, hello, I’m Anna.
谢谢,我这就去试试。(和某人讲话)打扰一下,你好,我叫Anna。
I work as a Sales Executive at Tip Top Trading… and you are?
我是顶级贸易公司的销售主管。请问您是?
Jane. Jane from Nice’n’Cheesy. It’s very busy here today isn’t it?
你好,我叫Jane。在美味奶酪店工作。你看这,今天可真忙!
It is. It’s my first time here but it’s very exciting. I really didn’t know what to wear.
是啊。这是我第一次来,不过很高兴,都不知道穿什么好了。
Anna! That’s chatty and friendly, but let’s get down to business.
Anna!健谈友好没有错,可你得谈正事啊。
Oh yes, of course. So can you tell me about your company, Nice’n’Cheesy?
啊,对。Jane,你能介绍一下你们公司吗?
Well, we sell cheese to London’s top cheese shops - we like to say we’re a wedge above the rest – a wedge of cheese, get it?!
当然可以。我公司主要向伦敦顶级商店出售奶酪,可谓奶酪届的最棒者,明白了吧?
Err, right. Well, can I briefly tell you about what our company does? Our company – Tip Top Trading – makes plastic fruit mainly for the catering and food industry.
呃,明白了。那我也简单介绍下我们公司吧。顶级贸易公司,主要为餐饮业及食品业制作塑料水果。
We’re up for an award today for one of our designs.
今天是为某设计领奖而来。
Smashing. That’s quite interesting actually.
哇,了不起!听起来很有趣。
We have an issue with the fresh grapes we provide with our cheeses – they keep going mouldy.
我公司有个问题。奶酪上的新鲜葡萄总是发霉。
Oh dear.
哦,亲爱的。
Yes – sour grapes you could say! A good quality plastic grape would be useful to put with our cheese displays.
你可以叫它们酸葡萄!恩,优质塑料葡萄,配上鲜美奶酪,应该很不错呢。
Well, I think we might be able to help you.
是啊,我们或许能帮助贵公司。
Yes you can! This is the time to exchange contact details – give her your business card.
当然能帮忙!这可是交换联系人详细信息的好时机。Anna,把你的名片给她。
Well, if I could have your contact details I’ll send you one of our brochures and then give you a call about prices.
Jane,如果你不介意,请把详细联系信息给我。我会发给你一本小册子,并附上价格表。
And here’s my business card should you want to call me.
这是我的名片,希望你给我打电话。
That’s fantastic. So nice to have met you – and I think what you’re wearing for the conference is perfect.
太棒了,认识你真好。对了,你今天的打扮,很完美!
Thanks!
谢谢!
Bingo! Looks like Anna has a potential new customer.
Bingo!看起来Anna有潜在新客户了。
She was friendly and chatty but kept her mind on business.
她健谈而友好,又不忘谈生意。
She used phrases like these:
一起看看她用的短语吧。
Excuse me, hello, I’m Anna. I work as a Sales Executive at Tip Top Trading.
打扰一下,你好,我叫Anna,是顶级贸易公司的销售主管。
Can you tell me about your company?
你能介绍一下贵公司吗?
Can I briefly tell you about what our company does?
请允许我简短介绍下我们公司。
I think we might be able to help you.
我想,我们或许可以帮助您。
Here’s my business card should you want to call.
这是我的名片,希望你给我打电话。
So, some good work by Anna but there’s more networking to be done.
Anna,干的不错,不过你要建立更广人脉。
A conference is a good place for networking and for catching up with your boss, too. Let’s find out how Paul is getting on with Mr Socrates.
记得,会议场所是建立人脉、联系老板的好地方。一起去看看Paul和Socrates先生的进展吧。
It’s a tough economic climate Paul. We’re already cutting out cookies in management meetings.
Paul,当下经济很困难,我们已在管理会议上把饼干删掉了。
Oh, gosh.
哦,苍天!
And now we’re cutting staff. We’ve already lost Rachel – my favourite Sales Executive.
现在在裁员。我们已经开除了我最爱的销售主管Rachel。
Ah yes, well, she was stealing the pens.
啊,是啊,因为她偷公司钢笔。
Pens can be replaced but not people like her.
钢笔可以更换,但她那样的人不可以换。
Well…
呃。。。好吧。。
But now it’s time to reduce your team Paul – share the pain.
Paul,该减少你们团队的员工数量了。请分担痛苦吧。
Are you sure?
你确定吗?
Absolutely. By my calculations you need to be rid of one member of staff.
当然。据我估计,你得裁掉一名员工。
Oh… well let’s not tell the team until we’ve had the awards ceremony.
行吧。。。等颁奖仪式结束,我再告诉大家这件事。
OK Paul. But it’s in your hands to sort this out.
好,但你得负责处理好啊。
Crumbs!
啊,天哪!
Ah yes, Tip Top Trading could be about to win a prestigious award but how will this bad news go down with the team?
顶级贸易公司将赢得大奖,但大家怎能接受裁员这一坏消息吗?
And what is Paul going to do? Find out next time on English at Work.
Paul又该怎样做?一起在下期职场英语中寻找答案吧。