忠言逆耳
Home truths
Hello again. Tip Top Trading’s big boss, Mr Socrates has announced a new strategy to sell plastic fruit to Europe and hopefully keep the company afloat.
又和大家见面啦!顶级贸易公司的大老板Mr Socrates宣布了一项新策略——向欧洲售卖塑料水果,并希望公司能保持资金正常运转。
But before the real work begins it’s time for him to enjoy some good English hospitality at the pub, courtesy of the team from the London office.
不过在工作真正开始之前,是时候让他感受一下伦敦办公室之外的酒吧里,英国人的热情好客了。
Let’s join them now…
让我们加入他们吧!
…Well welcome to the Rose and Crown, it is small, not like one of those bars you get in your country.
欢迎来到玫瑰皇冠,这是一间小酒吧,跟贵国那些酒吧不太一样。
Can I get you a pint Mr Socrates?
来一品脱吗,Mr Socrates?
A what?
来什么?
A pint. A pint of beer, it’s really nice here if you like it…
一品脱,一品脱啤酒,如果你喜欢喝的话这里的酒就非常好。
I don’t drink. Just an orange juice, freshly squeezed.
我不喝酒。来点鲜榨的橙汁就好。
Oh go on Mr Socrates, one pint won’t hurt. You’ve got to have a pint of beer when you come to a pub.
来吧Mr Socrates,一品脱不会喝醉的。进了这酒吧,一品脱酒少不了。
Oh very well. I’ll try one. It had better be good.
好吧,我试试。希望能好喝。
You’ll love it. I’ll get it. Three pints of your best beer please Mr Landlord.
你会爱上它的。我来买,麻烦最好的啤酒来三品脱Mr Landlord。
Denise, are you OK getting your own? I’m a bit short of cash.
Denise,你还好吗?我只有一点现金。
Oh… right. Mr Socrates, Anna said she would be along soon. She had some work to finish. She’s such a hard worker.
噢,好吧。Mr Socrates,Anna说她很快就过来。她有一些工作要完成。真是个勤奋的人。
Good to hear. She seems like a smart cookie. Now let’s try this beer …mmm, not bad, a little warm but… tasty.
很好。她看起来像是一块聪明的饼干。让我试一下这里的啤酒,嗯,不错,有点温温的,不过很好喝。
Oh, you drank that quickly… would you like another one?
噢,你这么快喝完了,还想再来一杯吗?
Sure.
当然。
Hi everyone. Sorry I’m late.
大家好,很抱歉,我迟到了。
Hi Anna. Look Mr Socrates is enjoying our English beer. I think it’s going to his head.
嗨,Anna。你看Mr Socrates正享受着英国啤酒。我觉得他正喝在兴头上。
(Loudly) Anna! Our best worker. Get Anna a drink.
Anna!我们最好的员工。给Anna来一杯。
Yes Mr Socrates. Of course Mr Socrates.
是的,Mr Socrates,当然。Mr Socrates。
Anna, come over here, let’s talk.
Anna,过来这边,我们谈谈。
Oh right. What about…
好的,谈什么…
There you go Anna. I got you some crisps too. So what are we talking about?
Anna,这边来,我给你拿些薯片。你要说什么呢?
Nothing. Thank you… bye bye.
没事,谢谢,拜拜。
Oh right. Bye bye. Yes, I’ll go and talk to Paul and Denise. I’ll just be over here.
好的,拜拜。对了,我要跟Paul和Denise说会话。我就在这里。
What a loser. I can tell he’s all talk and no action.
真是个失败者。我可以看出来他说的空话,没有任何行动。
Well, Tom’s a good worker really and…
其实,Tom真的是位很好的员工,还是…
…and as for Paul. God, what a manager. Always eating cookies. You know he was fired from his last job because…
至于Paul,天啊,什么样的经理都有。无时无刻不在吃饼干。你知道他上次被辞职就是因为…
Anna, I think he’s getting a bit too personal. That beer is making him say things he shouldn’t.
Anna,我觉得说话未免有些人身攻击了。那些啤酒让他酒后失言了。
I know. What should I say?
我知道,我应该怎么说?
Try saying “it’s not appropriate to talk like that” or “could we change the subject please.”
可以说“这样说有些不合适”或者“我们可以换个话题吗?”
OK thanks. Erm, Mr Socrates I don’t think it’s appropriate to talk like that, could we change the subject please?
好的谢谢。额, Mr Socrates,这样说有些不合适,我们可以换个话题吗?
Oh, sorry have I said too much? Maybe we should talk about you. I like you Anna.
噢,抱歉,我说的太多了吗?或许我们可以聊聊你。我喜欢你,Anna。
You’re keen but you’ve got a lot to learn and I think you should wear more black – it makes you look… thinner…
你狠热心,不过你还有很多需要学习的地方。我觉得你适合穿黑色——会让你更显瘦。
He’s out of order. I think he’s saying too much. Ask him to keep the conversation professional.
他脑子已经混乱了。我感觉他话有点多。请求他谈正事。
Right, good idea. (To Mr Socrates) Erm, Mr Socrates, thank you but can we keep our conversation professional.
好,好办法。额,Mr Socrates,谢谢你的建议,不过我们还是先说正事吧。
There’s a lot to discuss about our European market strategy.
有关欧洲市场策略的内容,还有很多需要讨论的地方。
Yeah, right, absolutely right. Anyway, you’re gonna have to lead this one not that Tom guy.
对,非常对。无论如何,你才是带领这个策略的人,而不是Tom那家伙。
I’m thinking of firing him, his results ain't that great and…
我想着要炒他鱿鱼,他的成绩不是很好,而且…
…sorry to interrupt, just wondered if you’d like some nuts?
抱歉打断一下,我想你是不是想吃一些坚果?
Hey Tom, I was just saying to Anna your results haven’t been good and I’m thinking of…
嘿Tom,我正跟Anna说到你的成绩不够好,我正想着…
(flustered)… of having another drink… thinking of having another drink.
想再来一杯,再来一杯啤酒。
Mr Socrates, did you know Tom actually has a great idea for selling laser-curved oranges to Spain?
Mr Socrates,你知道Tom实际上有一个很棒的想法,关于在西班牙售卖激光橙子?
(puzzled) Do I?
我有吗?
That’s good to hear Tom. Email them to me and I’ll check them over tomorrow.
很高兴听到,Tom。具体内容发邮件给我,我会在明天检查一下。
Of course he will, Mr Socrates. Now how would you like to drink something, errr, less strong? Orange juice perhaps?
他会的,Mr Socrates。你现在还想喝点别的吗,额,没那么强的?来点橙汁?
Na, I think I’ll try some more of the English beer.
呐,我还是想喝英国的啤酒。
I think Anna has just done Tom a big favour – she’s stopped him getting fired - for now.
Anna帮了Tom一个大忙——至少目前,Anna帮Tom保住了饭碗。
Sometimes conversations with your boss can get too personal but I think Anna’s got the hang of keeping things professional.
有时和你老板的对话可能会过于私人化,不过我认为安娜掌握了保持谈话专业的诀窍。
Here’s a reminder of what she said:
让我们回顾一下她的言辞:
It’s not appropriate to talk like that.
这样说有些不合适。
Could we change the subject please?
我们可以换个话题吗?
Can we keep our conversation professional please?
我们可以把话题转到正事上吗?
So Anna seems to be Mr Socrates’s favourite team member but now she’s got some explaining to do to Tom.
看样子,Anna是Mr Socrates团队里最喜欢的员工了,不过现在她得对Tom做些解释。
Anna, what were you talking about to Mr Socrates? “Ideas for selling laser-curved oranges to Spain”?
Anna,你刚刚跟Mr Socrates说的什么?“什么是关于在西班牙售卖激光橙子?”
He was going to fire you – so I was trying to tell him you had great ideas.
他打算要辞了你——所以我试着告诉他你有好的想法。
What?! You helped me? Anna, I don’t know what to say. I… I… I…
什么?!你帮了我?Anna,我真不知道该说什么。我,我,我…
Yes?
嗯嗯?
I… need to go back to the office to work on some ideas.
我得回办公室想些点子了。
Good idea. Keep it professional, eh Tom? Until next time. Bye!
好主意。保持自己的专业水平,Tom?下次再见,拜!