治疗坚果过敏的新疗法
New treatment for nut allergy
Fourteen-year-old Leia has a life-threatening nut allergy.
14岁的莱娅患有可致命的坚果过敏症。
That means eating or even touching some nuts could lead to anaphylaxis.
这意味着食用甚至是触碰到一些坚果都可能引起过敏性反应。
I'll get hives, normally on my leg.
我会起荨麻疹,通常是在腿上。
My lips will go really puffy.
我的嘴唇会肿起来。
And my neck will go really red, and it would start to close up, and it's hard to breathe.
脖子也变得通红,然后气管开始闭合,呼吸困难。
But for the past three years, Leia has been part of a ground-breaking study here at Evelina Children's Hospital.
但在过去的三年里,莱娅一直在参与在伦敦伊芙莉娜儿童医院展开的一项突破性研究。
We were able to show, at the beginning of the study, that she was allergic to all these six nuts,
在研究初期,我们能够证明,她对这六种坚果都过敏,
but that she was actually tolerant of these five nuts, that she could then introduce into the diet.
但她其实能耐受另外这五种坚果,因此她可以把这五种坚果引入到日常饮食中。
And we followed up Leia for three years, and after three years,
我们对莱娅进行了三年的跟踪调查,三年后发现,
she had actually outgrown her cashew nut allergy.
她其实已经不再对腰果过敏了。
And so she could then actually eat more nuts than what she was allergic to.
这样她就可以食用更多种曾经让她有过敏反应的坚果了。
And this is really important because most people who have a nut allergy diagnosis are told to avoid all nuts and also potentially sesame seed.
这个发现非常重要,因为大多数被诊断为对坚果过敏的人被告知什么坚果都不能碰,可能连芝麻籽也不能食用。
So being able to introduce different nuts into their diet under medical supervision, we're able to expand their diet,
因此,在医疗监护下,我们能够把不同的坚果引入过敏者的饮食中,从而扩大了他们的饮食范围
reduce dietary restrictions, reduce social restrictions,
减少了饮食限制,减少了他们因过敏而必须面对的社交壁垒。
and we've also shown that it improves their quality of life by reducing their anxieties.
我们也证明了,通过减轻患者的焦虑感来提高他们的生活质量。
I'm a lot more… like… confident, and… just, like, happier, because I can do more things.
我比以前要自信得多,也更开心了,因为我生活中的选择比以前更多了。