给小费的艺术
The art of tipping
Hello. This is 6 Minute English and I'm Catherine.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是凯瑟琳。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
Sam, how do you feel about tipping?
萨姆,对于给小费你有什么感觉?
Tipping? You mean giving extra money to people in certain jobs for doing their jobs?
给小费?你的意思是因为从事特定工作的人完成他们的工作而给他们额外的钱?
Well, I wouldn’t put it quite like that.
好吧,我不会像那样说。
But yes, it’s giving money to waiters and waitresses, hairdressers, taxi drivers - money that is more than the actual bill.
但是,是的,它是给服务员、理发师、出租车司机的钱——那笔钱比实际账单钱数要多。
It’s a nightmare!
它就是一场噩梦啊!
I never know who to tip,
我从不知道该给谁小费,
how to tip, by cash or by card, how much to tip – is it 10, 12.5, 20 percent,
如何给小费,是付现金还是用信用卡,也不知道应该给多少小费——是消费的10%,12.5%,20%?
or even if I should tip at all because in some places a service charge is automatically added to the bill.
或者说我是否应该给小费,因为在一些地方服务费是自动加到账单上。
Yes, tipping is a really complicated issue which we will be looking at in this programme.
是的,给小费是一个非常复杂的问题,我们将在本期节目中探讨这个问题。
But to start with, a question.
但是首先有一个问题。
What is the biggest tip that we know somebody gave?
我们知道的别人所给最大金额的小费是多少?
Is it… A: $10,000, is it… B: $250,000, or is it… C: $3,000,000?
是A:1万美元,B:25万美元,还是C:300万美元?
What do you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
I’m going to go for $250,000.
我会选25万美元。
OK, we’ll find out if you’re right at the end of the programme.
好的,我们将在节目最后揭晓你是否回答正确。
Now, back to the topic of tipping and in particular, tipping people who work in restaurants.
现在,回到给小费的话题上,尤其是给在餐厅工作的人小费。
William Beckett runs a number of restaurants and he recently appeared on the BBC Food Programme.
威廉·贝克特经营多家餐厅,最近还做客BBC美食节目。
He was asked about his view of tipping.
他被问到对于小费的看法。
Now as we hear him, listen out for this information: in how many cities does he say he currently has restaurants?
现在我们来听听他是怎么说的:他说自己目前在几个城市开了餐厅?
It is cultural, i.e. it differs from place to place.
它是与文化有关的,也就是说,它因地而异。
I mean, we have restaurants in London, we have a restaurant in Manchester, we’re also opening a restaurant in New York and those three cities have quite different attitudes to tipping.
我的意思是,我们在伦敦有餐厅,在曼彻斯特也有餐厅,我们同样要在纽约开了一家餐厅,这三个城市对于给小费有不同的态度。
In London, the norm is, it’s there, it’s on your bill.
在伦敦,正常的是有小费,它在你的账单上。
That’s not the norm, for example, in Manchester and it’s not the norm in New York where we’re going to open a restaurant later this year.
例如,在曼彻斯特和纽约那都不是正常的。我们今年晚些时候要在纽约开一家餐厅。
So, first, how many cities does he currently have restaurants in?
所有首先他目前在几个城市开了餐厅?
That would be two. London and Manchester.
那就是两个。伦敦和曼彻斯特。
He's going to open one in New York later in the year, but it's not open yet.
他今年晚些时候要在纽约开一家餐厅,但现在还没有开张。
And what does he say about tipping?
对于给小费,他说了什么?
Well, he says that it is very cultural.
他说那和文化很相关。
What is the norm in one city is not necessarily the norm in another.
在一个城市平常的在另一个城市不一定平常。
The norm is an expression that means, as you might guess, what is normal, what is usual.
“The norm”是一个表达,意思是,你可能猜到了,正常的,平常的。
So in London, for example, a service charge is usually added to the bill, but in Manchester it isn’t.
例如,在伦敦服务费通常加在账单上,但在曼彻斯特却没有。
So the policy in London and Manchester differs which means, again as you might guess, it's different.
所以伦敦和曼彻斯特的原则相异,正如你可能猜到的,这指的是不同。
There's another short expression that he used that I'd like to highlight.
我想强调他使用的另一个简短表达。
Before he talks about how the policies differ, he says i.e.
在谈到这些原则有何不同之前,他说了“i.e.”。
These two letters stand for the Latin phrase 'id est'.
这两个字母代表拉丁短语“id est”。
Now we never say 'id est' but we do write and say i.e.
现在我们从来不说“id est”,但是我们会写和说“i.e.”。
We use it to show that what comes next is using different words to say what we have just said or written.
我们用它来表示接下来用不同的单词来表达我们刚刚说过或写过的东西。
So he says, about tipping, it's cultural i.e. it differs from place to place.
所以他说给小费是与文化相关的,也就是说因地而异。
It's cultural' is a more general statement and 'it differs from place to place' is a more specific definition of what he means.
“它与文化相关 ”是一个更通常的说法,“它因地而异 ”是对他所指的一个更具体的解说。
So, one difference is that in some places people prefer an automatic service charge so that they don't have to think about or try to calculate a tip.
所以一个不同之处在于,在一些地方人们更喜欢自动算上服务费,这样他们就不用考虑或计算小费了。
But in other places, people hate that - they want to decide who and how much to tip themselves.
但在其它地方,人们讨厌那样——他们想决定给谁以及给多少小费。
But do people actually make use of that freedom not to tip?
但人们真的会利用那种自由不给小费吗?
Here’s William Becket again and this he's time talking about New York.
这里是威廉·贝克特又谈到的,这次他要谈论的是纽约。
New York exactly the same. There's a tacit pressure to tip.
纽约也是一样。给小费的压力是不言而喻的。
But theoretically you just stand up and walk out.
但理论上你只要站起来走出去。
You don't, everybody tips 20% or, there is a theory of an option.
你不用给每个人20%的小费,或者说你可以选择给不给。
But people like that.
但人们喜欢那样。
So he says there is a tacit pressure to tip.
所以他说给小费的压力是不言而喻的。
What does he mean by that?
他那么说是什么意思?
Something that is tacit is not spoken, not said, yet it is still understood.
不言而喻的事物就是不说出来但仍被了解。
So in New York no one tells you that you have to tip, but everyone knows that you have to.
所以在纽约没有人告诉你要给小费,但每个人都知道你必须给。
And because there is no service charge on the bill and no one tells you what to tip, you could just walk out after paying.
因为账单上没有服务费,而且也没有人告诉你给多少小费,所以你付完钱就可以走。
He says that's theoretically possible.
他说理论上这是可能的。
That means although it may be possible it's actually very unlikely because of the tacit pressure and the way we behave.
这意味着,尽管它是可能的,但实际上是非常不可能的,因为不言而喻的压力以及我们的行为方式。
But he does say people like that freedom not to tip, even if they don't actually use that freedom.
但是他确实说人们喜欢不给小费的那种自由,即使他们实际上并不利用这种自由。
Right, nearly vocabulary time, but first, let's have the answer to our question.
好了,快到词汇的时间了,但首先,让我们来看看问题的答案。
Now Sam what is the biggest tip we know someone gave?
萨姆,我们所知道的最大金额的小费是多少?
I thought $250,000.
我认为是25万美元。
Well it was actually, believe it or not, a whopping $3,000,000.
它实际上是数量庞大的300万美元,信不信由你。
Yes! Now, on with today's vocabulary review.
是的!现在继续回顾今天的词汇。
Right. So we've been talking about tipping, the practice of giving extra money to, for example, waitresses and waiters.
好的。所以我们一直在讨论给小费,例如给服务员额外的钱的惯常做法。
To differ from is a verb which means to be different from.
“相异”是一个动词,意思是“不同”。
The norm is what is usual or normal.
平常的就是指通常的或正常的。
i.e. is a short form of a Latin expression and it means 'in other words'.
“i.e.”是一个拉丁文表达的缩写形式,意思是“换句话说”。
Something that is tacit is not said but is nevertheless understood.
不言而喻的事物就是不说出来却能被了解。
And if something is theoretically possible it can be done but for different reasons it probably won't be.
如果某件事在理论上是可能的,那么它是被做的,但出于不同原因,它可能不会被做。
And that is where we must leave it today.
到这我们就必须要结束了。
Goodbye!
再见!
Bye everyone!
再见各位!