你担心自己老了之后穷困潦倒吗?
Do you care if you're poor when you're old?
Hello, and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
In this programme we're talking about finance and in particular planning for our future lifestyles.
在这期节目中,我们将讨论金融,尤其是对未来生活方式的规划。
I can barely afford my current lifestyle!
我几乎负担不起我现在的生活方式!
Same here, but perhaps we’ll pick up some good tips today.
我也是,但也许今天我们会学到一些不错的技巧。
Before that though, a question.
在那之前,有一个问题。
Being a millionaire may be an impossible dream for most of us, but when was the word first used in English?
成为百万富翁对我们大多数人来说可能是一个不可能实现的梦想,但是是什么时候这个词第一次出现在英语中呢?
Was it: a) 1600s, b) 1700s, or c) 1800s?
是a) 17世纪, b) 18世纪,还是c) 19世纪?
What do you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
I’m going to guess that it’s the 1600s as there have always been very wealthy people.
我猜是在17世纪,因为那时候始终有非常富有的人。
Well, I’ll reveal the answer later.
好吧,稍后我将揭晓答案。
Now, the BBC Money Box programme covers all sorts of financial features.
BBC的Money Box节目涵盖了各种各样的金融专题。
Recently they were talking about lifestyle financial planning, which is planning your finances to meet the kind of lifestyle you want to have.
最近他们在讨论对生活方式的财务规划,也就是规划你的财务来满足你想要的生活方式。
Julie Lord leads a financial planning organisation and she talked about the process of lifestyle financial planning.
朱莉·洛德是一家理财机构的负责人,而且她谈到了对生活方式进行财务规划的过程。
How many numbers does she say you need to start with?
她说你要从几个数字开始?
Well, we would start by saying that we need to put together a lifetime cashflow forecast or a model.
好吧,首先说我们需要建立一个终生现金流预测或模型。
You just need four numbers: your income, your expenditure, assets, liabilities,
你只需要四个数字:你的收入,支出,资产,负债,
and then we project forward to show you what sort of lifestyle you will have if you do nothing at all and if indeed you do some of the things that - perhaps an ISA or a pension or any other kind of financial product - might help you with.
然后我们进一步计划来为你展示,如果你什么都不做,如果你确实做一些能对你有所帮助的事情———或许是ISA、养老金或任何其他类型的金融产品,你将拥有什么样的生活方式。
So how many numbers do you need?
所以你需要几个数字呢?
She says that you start with just four numbers.
她说你要从4个数字开始。
That’s right.
那是对的。
The first of these numbers is your income, this is the money that you have coming in, your salary, for example.
第一个数字是你的收入,这是你收到的钱,比如你的工资。
Then there is the number for your expenditure.
然后是你的开支这一数字。
This is the money you have going out for rent, food, entertainment, transport and so on.
这是你用来付房租、吃饭、娱乐、交通等等的钱。
The next number was for assets.
下一个数字是资产。
This is the cash value of things that you own.
这是你所拥有之物的现金价值。
For example property, cars, jewellery as well as savings and investments, that kind of thing.
例如房产、汽车、首饰以及存款和投资等等。
And finally there is liabilities.
最后是负债。
This is the money that you owe, for example on credit cards or loans.
这是你所欠的钱,例如信用卡或贷款。
So if you know these details, she says they can come up with a lifetime cashflow forecast,
所以她说如果你知道这些细节,他们可以提出一个终生现金流预测,
which is a calculation of how much money you can expect to have in the future and if that is enough to meet your expectations.
那是对你未来预期有多少钱以及那些钱是否足够满足你期望的一种计算。
Do you have those details?
你知道那些细节吗?
Do you know your numbers, Rob?
你知道你的数字吗,罗伯?
I have a very detailed spreadsheet where I do list my income and expenditure.
我有一份非常详细的电子数据表,我在里面列出了我的收入和支出。
So I do know from month to month how much money I need and how much I can spend.
所以我确实知道我每月需要多少钱,每月能花多少钱。
That sounds very organised!
听起来很有条理!
What does it tell you about your future?
关于你的未来,它告诉了你什么?
Well, it just reminds me of exactly how much money I don’t have.
好吧,它只是提醒我实际上自己缺多少钱。
It’s quite depressing!
很压抑!
How about you, Neil?
你呢,尼尔?
Oh, I live in blissful ignorance. I have no idea how big my debts are.
哦,我生活在无忧无虑的无知中。我不知道我的债务有多大。
I try not to worry about it. I kind of think I’m much too young to worry about it now and that as if by magic it will all work out in the end.
我尽量不去担心它。我觉得我现在还太年轻,不需要担心这个问题,而且那就像有魔法一样,事情最终都会解决的。
So it would be difficult for me to come up those four numbers.
所以我很难找出这四个数字。
Anyway, let’s listen to Julie Lord again describing the lifestyle financial planning process.
无论如何,让我们再听一遍朱莉·洛德对生活方式财务规划过程的描述。
Well, we would start by saying that we need to put together a lifetime cashflow forecast or a model.
好吧,首先说我们需要建立一个终生现金流预测或模型。
You just need four numbers: your income, your expenditure, assets, liabilities,
你只需要四个数字:你的收入,支出,资产,负债,
and then we project forward to show you what sort of lifestyle you will have if you do nothing at all and if indeed you do some of the things that - perhaps an ISA or a pension or any other kind of financial product - might help you with.
然后我们进一步计划来为你展示,如果你什么都不做,如果你确实做一些能对你有帮助的事情———或许是ISA、养老金或任何其他类型的金融产品,你将拥有什么样的生活方式。
Is lifestyle financial planning only for older people with a good pension?
关于生活方式的财务计划是否只针对养老金丰厚的老年人?
Not according to Julie Lord.
朱莉·洛德可不这么认为。
Well, it’s not all about old age, is it?
好的,它不全是关于老年的,不是吗?
I mean there are people… we have quite a number of younger clients who come to us and say 'we just want to get financially organised, we've heard about all this stuff, these financial products,
我的意思是有些人……我们有相当多的年轻客户找到我们,说“我们只是想要在经济上得到整理规化,我们都听说过这个东西,这些金融产品,
no idea really what they are or, more importantly, what they’re going to do for us, so can you give us a hand to help us look forward to see what will happen'.
真的不知道它们是什么,或更重要的是它们会为我们做什么,所以你帮我们一把,帮助我们看看会发生什么?”
So she also has younger clients who ask for her company’s help.
所以她也有一些年轻客户向她的公司寻求帮助。
Yes, she uses the phrase, give us a hand, which means to help someone.
是的,她使用了短语“give us a hand”,意思是帮助某人。
If you give someone a hand, you help them.
如果你帮了某人一把,你就是在帮助他们。
Exactly, in the way that I give you a hand with 6 Minute English.
没错,就像我在六分钟英语帮了你一把。
Well, I think I give you a hand rather than the other way around, Neil.
好吧,尼尔,我觉得我帮了你一把,而不是反过来你帮了我。
Really, well let’s not fall out about it.
真的,我们别为那争吵了。
Let’s listen to Julie Lord again.
让我们再听一遍朱莉·洛德所说的。
Well, it’s not all about old age, is it?
好的,它不全是关于老年的,不是吗?
I mean, there are people… we have quite a number of younger clients who come to us and say 'we just want to get financially organised, we've heard about all this stuff, these financial products,
我的意思是有些人……我们有相当多的年轻客户找到我们,说“我们只是想要在经济上得到整理规化,我们都听说过这个东西,这些金融产品,
no idea really what they are or, more importantly, what they’re going to do for us, so can you give us a hand to help us look forward to see what will happen'.
真的不知道它们是什么,或更重要的是它们会为我们做什么,所以你帮我们一把,帮助我们看看会发生什么?”
It’s nearly time now to review our vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to our quiz question.
现在差不多是时候复习词汇了,但是首先,让我们揭晓测试问题的答案。
When was the word millionaire first used in English?
什么时候百万富翁这个词第一次出现在英语中?
Was it: a) 1600s, b) 1700s, or c) 1800s?
是a) 17世纪,b) 18世纪,还是c) 19世纪?
What did you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
Well, I guessed and said it was the 1600s.
好吧,我猜了一下,说是17世纪。
Well, not a good guess this time, I’m afraid.
恐怕这次猜得不好。
It’s actually a lot later.
实际上要晚很多。
It was the 1800s when it was first used in English, though it had appeared in French in the 1700s.
英语中首次使用这个词是在19世纪,不过18世纪它已经出现在法语中。
Now on with the vocabulary.
现在继续词汇部分。
Yes, we had a lot of financial terms in this programme.
是的,我们在这个节目中学了很多金融术语。
We had cashflow forecast.
我们学了现金流预测。
This is a calculation of how much money you can expect to have at a particular time in the future.
这是对你在未来某一特定时间预期拥有多少钱的计算。
And the cashflow forecast is based on knowing your income, which is the money you have coming in and your expenditure, the money you have going out.
现金流预测是基于知晓你的收入,也就是你收到的钱,和你的支出,你花出去的钱。
You also need to know your assets, which is the value of things you own as well as savings and investments.
你还需要知道你的资产,也就是你所拥有之物的价值以及存款和投资。
This is balanced against your liabilities, which is the term for the money that you owe, for example on credit cards.
这与你的负债相平衡,负债是你所欠的钱的术语,例如信用卡上。
And finally we had the expression to give someone a hand meaning to help someone.
最后我们学了“give someone a hand”这个表达,意思是帮助某人。
Well, that’s all from us in this programme.
以上就是本期节目的全部内容。
We look forward to your company next time.
我们期待您的下次参与。
Just search for bbclearninglish.
只需查找bbclearninglish。
Bye, and thanks Rob for giving me a hand.
再见,罗伯,谢谢你帮了我一把。
No, thank you for giving me a hand. Bye!
不,是谢谢你帮我一把。再见!