打电话交谈尴尬吗?
Is talking on the phone embarrassing?
Hello, and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
Sam, do you know Stephen Fry?
萨姆,你认识斯蒂芬·弗莱吗?
Not personally, but I know of him.
我个人不认识,但我知道他。
Stephen Fry is an English writer and comedian and is well known for being extremely intelligent and very knowledgeable about many things cultural, historical and linguistic.
斯蒂芬·弗莱是一名英国作家及喜剧演员,并且因为极其聪明和熟知许多文化、历史和语言方面的知识而闻名。
To be knowledgeable means 'to know a lot about something'.
知识渊博的意思是“关于某事知道很多”。
I wish I was half as knowledgeable as he is!
我要是有他一半渊博就好了!
I wish I were a quarter as knowledgeable!
我要是有他四分之一渊博就好了!
There is still time, Sam!
还有时间,萨姆!
And maybe this week’s question will help you become just a little bit more knowledgeable on the topic of the telephone.
也许这周的问题会帮助你对电话这个话题有更多的了解。
The first long distance telephone call was made in 1876.
第一个长途电话是在1876年拨打的。
Approximately what was the distance of that call?
那个长途电话的距离有多远?
Was it: A: 10km? B: 15km? Or C: 20km?
是:A: 10千米?15千米?还是C: 20千米?
What do you think Sam?
你觉得是什么,萨姆?
So when you say long distance...?
所以你说长途的时候?
For the time, yes. Remember the telephone was only a baby in 1876.
就当时而言,是的。记得1876年电话才刚出现。
In that case, I’ll say approximately 15km.
在那种情况下,我猜大概是15千米。
But that’s just a guess - a long distance guess.
但那只是一个猜测——一个关于长途的猜测。
We’ll find out if you’re right at the end of the programme.
我们将在节目最后看看你是否正确。
Stephen Fry is also known as a technophile.
斯蒂芬·弗莱也被称为技术爱好者。
The suffix ‘phile’ means 'a lover of that thing'.
后缀“phile”的意思是“喜爱那个东西的人”。
So a technophile is someone who loves technology.
所以技术爱好者是指喜爱技术的人。
Fry was a guest on the BBC podcast Word of Mouth and was talking about the technology of communication.
弗莱做客BBC播客Word of Mouth并谈到了通信技术。
It seems he’s not a fan of the telephone.
看起来他并不是喜爱电话的人。
But why not?
但为什么不是呢?
I think the telephone was a really annoying blip in our communications and that's old technology.
我认为电话是我们交流中一个非常恼人的小插曲,那是旧的技术。
I mean that's 1880s, 90s.
我是说那是19世纪80年代,90年代的技术。
When you're on the telephone to someone, especially if you're British – you know, that Bernard Shaw thing – oh, you know, the moment one Englishman opens his mouth another Englishman despises him.
当你给某人打电话时,特别是说如果你是英国人的话,你知道,萧伯纳所说的那种情况——噢,你知道的,每当一个英国人张嘴,就会招来另一个英国人的嘲笑。
When you're speaking to someone on the telephone all the age, class, education, vocabulary all come into play because it's in real time and it's embarrassing.
当你在电话里和别人交谈时,时代、阶级、教育、词汇都会发挥作用,因为它是实时的,会令人尴尬。
I hate being on the telephone to people - especially strangers in shops and things like that because it's embarrassing and awkward.
我讨厌打电话给别人,特别是商店和类似地方的陌生人,因为那很尴尬棘手。
So, why doesn’t he like the telephone?
所以他为什么不喜欢电话?
Well, he uses a quote from the writer George Bernard Shaw.
好吧,他引用了作家萧伯纳的话。
It’s not the exact quote but the meaning is that as soon as an English person speaks, another English person despises them.
那不是准确引用,但意思是,一旦一个英国人说话,另一个英国人就会嘲笑他们。
To despise someone is a very strong emotion and it means 'to really hate someone'.
鄙视某人是一种非常强烈的情绪,它的意思是“真的讨厌某人”。
So, what is it about the English person’s voice that leads others to despise them?
那么,是什么使得英国人的声音让别人鄙视他们呢?
Stephen Fry goes on to explain that there is a lot of information about someone that people get from their voice.
斯蒂芬·弗莱接着解释说,人们可以从声音中获得关于某人的很多信息。
You can make a judgment about someone’s age, level of education and class from the way that they speak and the vocabulary they use.
你可以从一个人的说话方式和词汇量来判断他的年龄、教育程度和阶级。
Class refers to your economic and social position in a society.
阶级是指你在社会中的经济地位和社会地位。
In Britain, we talk about three classes: upper class, middle class and working class.
在英国,我们会谈到三个阶级:上层阶级、中产阶级和工人阶级。
The family into which you are born dictates your class.
你出生的家庭决定了你的阶级。
These used to be a lot more important in British society but there are still different prejudices and negative feelings related to the relationship between the classes.
这些在英国社会曾是非常重要的,但现在仍然有各种偏见和阶级关系间的负面情绪。
Exactly, so hearing someone’s voice on the telephone might make you think something negative about someone based on very old-fashioned ideas of class.
没错,所以在电话里听到某人的声音可能会让你基于非常老式的阶级观念对某人产生负面的看法。
What makes it worse is that these conversations happen in real time.
更糟糕的是,这些对话是实时发生的。
This means they are 'happening live', 'not recorded', so you have no time to really think about it.
这意味着它们是“实时发生的”,而不是“录制的”,所以你没有时间去真正思考它。
So he may be a technophile, but he’s not a fan of the phone!
所以他可能是个技术爱好者,但他不是喜爱电话的人!
Indeed.
确实。
He called it a blip, which is a word for when something is not quite right - when there is a fault or a mistake which is usually not long lasting.
他把它叫做“突发事件”,这个词用来形容当某件事不太对时,当出现通常不会持续很久的错误时。
So do you think he’s right?
所以你觉得他是对的吗?
Well, actually, I don’t like to talk to strangers on the phone very much myself, but that’s just me.
好吧,事实上,我自己并不喜欢和陌生人通话,但那只是就我自己而言。
But I do think that although the class divisions in British society are much less obvious and much less important than in the past,
但我确实认为,尽管英国社会的阶级分化没过去那么明显,没那么重要,
we still do make judgements about people based on how they speak and those judgements can often be completely false.
但我们仍然会根据人们说话的方式来判断他们,而且那些判断常常是完全错误的。
Right, nearly time to review our vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to today’s question.
好了,差不多是时候回顾我们的词汇了,但是首先,让我们来揭晓今天问题的答案。
The first long distance telephone call was made in 1876.
第一个长途电话是在1876年拨打的。
Approximately what was the distance of that call?
那个长途电话的距离有多远?
Was it: A: 10km? B: 15km? Or C: 20km?
是:A: 10千米?15千米?还是C: 20公千米?
What did you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
I guessed 15km. But it was just a guess.
我猜15千米。但它只是一个猜测。
Well, sadly, on this occasion it was not a correct guess.
好吧,很遗憾,这次没猜对。
The correct answer is approximately 10km or 6 miles.
正确答案是大约10千米或6英里。
Congratulations if you go that right.
如果你答对了,恭喜你。
Now on with the vocabulary.
现在继续词汇部分。
We started with the adjective knowledgeable, which means 'knowing a lot about something'.
我们从形容词“知识渊博的”开始,它的意思是“关于某事知道很多”。
A technophile is someone who loves technology.
技术爱好者是指喜爱技术的人。
To despise someone is to hate someone strongly.
鄙视某人就是强烈地讨厌某人。
Class refers to a group in society you are said to belong to from your birth.
阶级是指据说你从出生就属于的一个社会群体。
Certain stereotypes are often attached to different classes to do with intelligence and education, for example.
某些刻板印象和不同阶级相关联,例如与智力和教育有关。
In real time is an expression that means 'happening live, without any pauses or breaks'.
“In real time”是一个短语,意思是“实时发生,没有任何停顿或中断”。
So for example, you aren’t listening to this programme in real time.
例如,你没有在实时收听这个节目。
Well, I am.
好吧,我是。
Well, of course, you are Neil, because you are here with me as we are recording.
当然,尼尔,因为你和我一起在这录制节目。
But if you’re listening to the podcast, it’s no longer real time.
但如果你在听播客,它就不再是实时的了。
It’s been recorded and edited.
它已经被录制和编辑。
And we had one other word, didn’t we?
我们还有一个词,不是吗?
Yes, a blip, which is a temporary fault, or mistake.
是的,“a blip”,这是一个暂时的错误。
Well, that's all we've got for this programme.
好了,这就是我们今天节目的全部内容。
For more, find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and our YouTube pages and, of course, our website bbclearningenglish.com,
想了解更多,请登录我们的Facebook、Twitter、Instagram和YouTube页面,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,
where you can find all kinds of other programmes and videos and activities to help you improve your English.
在那里你可以找到各种各样的节目、视频和活动来帮助你提高英语。
Thank you for joining us and goodbye!
感谢你的收听,再见!
Bye!
拜!