警钟
A wake-up call
Hello everyone.
大家好。
This is The English We Speak with me, Feifei...
欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》,我是菲菲。
and...
我是……
oh no, Rob is late again!
哦,不,罗伯又迟到了!
…Sorry I'm late,
对不起,我来晚了,
I missed my train. And I had to wait for, I had to wait for the next one.
我错过了一趟车,不得不等下一趟。
Are you OK, Rob?
你还好吗,罗伯?
You're very breathless.
你真是喘不过气来。
Well, you would be if you had run to the station and from the station to the office.
好吧,如果你跑到车站,从车站跑到办公室的话。
Hmmm, it's not that far, Rob!
嗯,没那么远,罗伯!
I think this a wake-up call.
我觉得这是一个wake-up call。
A wake-up call?
叫醒电话?
No, I set my alarm - I got out of bed - it just seems to take longer to walk to the station these days.
不,我定了闹钟调,我起床了,这几天步行去车站似乎要花的时间久了点。
I didn't mean your alarm, Rob.
我不是说你的闹钟,罗伯。
A wake-up call is a warning that you need to change your current situation before it gets any worse.
A wake-up call是一个警告,你需要改变你目前的情况,以免它变得更糟。
And what is my "current situation"?
我的“现状”是什么?
You're unfit - you need to do some more exercise!
你身体状态不好,你需要多做些运动!
Let's hear some examples of "a wake-up call" shall we?
让我们听听“a wake-up call”的例子,好吗?
Martha's bad test results were a wake-up call for her to work harder before her final exams.
玛莎糟糕的考试成绩给她敲响了警钟,要她在期末考试前更加努力地学习。
The store's poor sales results are a wake-up call for the business to move with times and sell more fashionable clothes.
这家商店销售业绩不佳,给企业敲响了警钟,要求他们与时俱进,卖出更多时髦的衣服。
The recent extreme weather is a wake-up call for us all to do something about climate change.
最近的极端天气给我们敲响了警钟,要求我们对气候变化做些什么。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English,
这是BBC《地道英语》节目,
and in this programme we're learning about the phrase "a wake-up call",
在今天的节目里我们学到了“a wake-up call”这个短语,
which means a warning to change your current situation and stop things from getting any worse.
这个短语的意思是一个警告,以改变你目前的情况,防止事情变得更糟。
It's time to change - like Rob's fitness!
是时候改变了,就像罗伯的健康状况一样!
So Rob, how are you going to change your current situation?
罗伯,你打算怎么改变你现在的处境?
Well, that's easy - I'm going to get a later train.
嗯,那很容易,我要坐晚一点的火车。
More time in bed!
有更多的时间在床上!
I wouldn't, Rob - otherwise you'll get another "wake-up call".
要是我就不会这样,罗伯,除非你想接到另一个警告。
Who from?
来自谁?
The boss – he hates people being late all the time.
老板,他讨厌大家总迟到。
So if you're not punctual,
所以如果你不准时,
you might get the sack!
你可能会被解雇!
Oh right, I'm off!
哦,好吧,我要走了!
Where are you going?
你打算去哪儿?
To do some exercise.
做些运动。
Like you said,
就像你说的,
I need to get fit - quickly!
我要恢复健康,快点!
Bye.
再见。
Good luck, Rob.
祝你好运,罗伯。