女性和摩托车
Women and motorbikes
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
And if I say to you, Sam, motorbike, what do you think of?
萨姆,如果我跟你说摩托车,你会想到什么?
Oh, I think of the film Easy Rider with Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda cruising the wide open spaces on powerful machines.
哦,我会想到电影《逍遥骑士》,杰克·尼克尔森和彼得·方达骑着摩托车驰骋在广阔的空间。
How about you, Neil?
你呢,尼尔?
Oh, well, I think of the young man on a moped who delivers my pizzas.
哦,好吧,我会想到那个骑助力车给送我披萨的年轻人。
Not quite the same image, is it, really?
不完全相同的画面,是吧,真的?
No, but in both cases we were associating motorbikes with male figures.
不相同,但在这两种情况下,我们都把摩托车和男性形象联系在一起。
Today we are looking at women and bikes, but before that, a quiz.
今天我们要看的是女性和摩托车,但在那之前,还有一个小测验。
In which decade was the first mass-produced motorcycle released?
首次大批量生产的摩托车是在哪个年代发行的?
Was it: a) the 1880s, b) the 1890s, or c) the 1900s?
是a) 19世纪80年代,b) 19世纪90年代,还是c) 20世纪前10年?
What do you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
Tricky question!
棘手的问题啊!
The 1880s may be too early - so I think I'll play it safe and go for the middle option, the 1890s.
19世纪80年代可能太早——所以我想我要谨慎些,选中间的选项,19世纪90年代。
Well, we'll see if you're right later in the programme.
好吧,我们稍后将在节目中看看你是否回答正确。
Esperanza Miyake is the author of a new study of the 'gendered motorcycle' in film, advertising and TV.
埃斯佩兰萨· 三宅是一项新研究的作者,该研究是关于电影、广告和电视中“性别化的摩托车”。
She was interviewed on BBC radio's Thinking Allowed programme about the topic.
她接受了BBC Thinking Allowed节目关于该话题的采访。
First she was asked about the experience of travelling at over 110 kph on a motorbike.
首先,她被问及以每小时110公里以上的速度骑摩托车出行的经历。
What world does she say you are part of?
她说你是哪个世界的一部分?
I think it dissolves gender, race, all these things stop mattering.
我认为它弱化了性别,种族,所有这些都不再重要。
It's all about experience so car drivers, there's a lot about enjoying the internal space of the car, on the bike obviously there's no interiority.
这都是关于体验的,所以汽车司机,很多是享受汽车内部空间,在摩托车上显然没有内在性。
You're completely part of the exterior world.
你完全是外部世界的一部分。
So what world are you in when travelling at speed on a motorbike?
所以当你以摩托车的速度出行时,你是在一个什么样的世界里呢?
The external world.
外部世界。
Because you are not inside a car, your experience is completely different.
因为你不是在车里,你的体验是完全不同的。
On a bike you have no interiority.
骑摩托车没有内在性。
That's the experience of being inside.
那是在内部的体验。
But I do have to say although that is a real word, it's not one I've ever heard or used before!
但我确实得说,虽然这是一个真实的词,但它是我从来没有听过或用过的!
No. Me neither.
没有。我也没听过或者使用过。
What she also says is that travelling at speed dissolves gender and race.
她还说高速出行弱化了性别和种族。
It makes them less important.
这让它们变得不那么重要。
When you dissolve something you make it less strong.
当你弱化某物时,你就让它没那么强了。
In fact she says that at speed these things stop mattering.
事实上,她说在快速的情况下这些事情就不再重要了。
They stop having any importance.
它们不再重要。
If something doesn't matter, it's not important at all.
如果某件事不要紧,它就一点也不重要。
Before that we said we usually connect motorbikes with men.
在那之前,我们说我们通常把摩托车和男性联系起来。
Think bike, think bloke.
想到摩托车就想到男性。
But what about women and bikes?
但是女性和摩托车呢?
Esperanza Miyake goes on to talk about the way women bikers are usually shown in the media.
埃斯佩兰萨· 三宅继续谈到女性骑手通常在媒体上的表现方式。
How many different types does she mention?
她提到了多少种不同的类型?
Generally there's three types. So the first type would be your typical empowered female who's on the motorbike.
通常有三种类型。第一种类型是典型的能骑摩托车的女性。
You do have that image but having said that I would also add that those images appear typically very sexualised, very stylised.
你确实有那个画面,话虽如此,我还是要补充一下,那些画面通常非常性感,非常风格化。
So yes she's empowered but she's in a skintight catsuit.
所以,是的,她能掌控摩托车,但她穿着紧身连衣裤。
You also get another type which is the female rider but who's been masculinised.
你同样会看到另一种类型的女性骑手,但她已经被男性化了。
She's kind of embodying a very masculine kind of style.
她体现的是一种非常男性化的风格。
And I think the third type is kind of silly, giggly female on a scooter.
我认为第三种类型有点傻,摩托车上傻笑着的女性。
So she talked about three types of representations, particularly in movies.
所以她谈到了三种表现类型,尤其是在电影中。
Sam, tell us more.
萨姆,告诉我们更多内容吧。
Yes, she first talked about the empowered woman.
是的,她首先谈到的是有掌控力的女人。
This is a character who has authority, who has the power to drive the plot and action and is not dependent on a man to make decisions for her.
这是一个有权力的角色,她有能力推动情节和发展,不依赖男性为她做决定。
It seems like a positive image,
这似乎是一个积极的形象,
but she does say that these characters are often sexualised, that is, presented in a way that might be sexually appealing for a male audience.
但她确实说,这些角色往往是性感的,也就是说,以一种可能在性别上吸引男性观众的方式呈现。
The next character type she mentions is a woman who is very masculine.
她提到的下一个性别类型是非常男性化的女性。
They embody male characteristics, which means they have and demonstrate many typically male personality features.
她们表现出男性特征,这意味着她们具有并展现出一些典型的男性性格特征。
And the final type she talked about was showing women on bikes as silly and giggly riding scooters.
她谈到的最后一种类型是骑在摩托车上傻笑的女性骑手。
So there don't seem to be many really completely positive images of women and motorcycles, at least not in the popular media.
所以关于女性和摩托车似乎没有真的完全正面的形象,至少在大众媒体上没有。
Time to look again at today’s vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to the quiz question.
是时候再看一遍今天的词汇了,但是首先,让我们来看看今天问题的答案。
In which decade was the first mass-produced motorcycle released?
首次大批量生产的摩托车是在哪个年代发行的?
Was it: a) the 1880s, b) the1890s, or c) the 1900s?
是a) 19世纪80年代,b) 19世纪90年代,还是c) 20世纪前10年?
What did you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
I took a guess at the 1890s.
我猜是19世纪90年代。
Well done, it was a good guess.
做得好,猜得不错。
It was indeed the 1890s and a bonus point if you knew that it was 1894.
它确实是在19世纪90年代,如果你知道是1894年,就会得到额外加分。
OK, let's have a quick reminder of today's words.
好的,让我们快速回顾一下今天的单词。
We started with the verb dissolves.
我们从动词“弱化”开始。
If something dissolves it gets less strong, less immediate.
如果某物弱化,它会变得不那么强,不那么紧迫。
Then we had another verb, to matter, something that matters is important to someone.
然后我们学了另一个动词,“要紧”,要紧的事物就是对某人来说重要的事物。
What's the next word?
下一个单词是什么?
It was a rather uncommon word to describe the experience of being inside - interiority.
它是一个相当不常见的词,用来描述在内部的体验——内在性。
Let's rush by that one and move on to the next word, empowered.
让我们快速讲过这个单词,继续下一个,“有掌控力的”。
Someone who is empowered is in control of their own life.
有掌控力的人能掌控自己的生活。
When we talk about empowered women we are talking about women who are not dependent on men or anyone else for the direction of their lives, they make their own choices.
当我们谈到有掌控力的女性时,我们指的是那些不依赖于男性或其他任何人来决定自己生活方向的女性,她们自己做主。
Our next word was sexualised.
我们下一个词是“性感”。
This is when something is given a clearly sexual styling.
这是指某物被赋予明显的性别风格。
In the programme we heard that women on motorcycles are often shown in a sexualised way, dressed in clothing, for example, that makes them sexually attractive.
在这个节目中,我们听到骑摩托车的女性经常以性感的方式出现,比如穿着让她们性感的衣服。
And finally there was to embody.
最后是“体现”。
This means to be a clear and obvious example of something.
这意味着成为某事物的一个清晰而明显的例子。
So in movies female bikers often embody male characteristics,
因此在电影中,女骑手往往具有男性特征,
which means they might dress or behave in a way we would usually associate with men.
这意味着她们穿着或者举止的方式可能会让我们通常联想到男性。
Well, it's time for us to say goodbye.
好了,是时候说再见了。
Just search for bbclearningenglish.
只需搜索bbclearningenglish。
Bye for now!
再见了!
Bye!
拜!