豪饮有何坏处?
How bad is booze?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Alice…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是爱丽丝。
And I'm Rob…
我是罗伯。
You look very pale, Rob. Are you OK?
罗伯,你的脸色看上去很苍白。你还好吗?
Well, I was at a rather boozy wedding party last night.
还好,我昨晚参加婚宴喝得比较多。
And I had a bit too much champagne.
喝了太多的香槟。
Do you know any good hangover cures?
你知道什么治疗宿醉的良方吗?
A hangover is the headache and sickness you can feel after drinking too much alcohol.
宿醉是指喝太多酒后感到头疼不适。
And a cure is something that makes you better.
良方是指让你感觉好一点的东西。
Well, I'm teetotal – I don't drink alcohol.
我滴酒不沾,也就是说我不喝酒。
So, I'd say the best hangover cure is not to drink in the first place.
所以我想说治疗宿醉最好的良方是一开始就不喝酒。
You don't believe in hair of the dog then?
你不相信所谓的宿醉还得酒来解吗?
No, Rob, I don't.
不相信。
Hair of the dog is the belief that drinking more alcohol when you already have a hangover will make you feel better!
这种说法是指宿醉时喝更多酒会让你更好一点。
And boozy means lots of alcohol.
嗜酒是指和喝很多酒。
I can see I'm not going to get much sympathy from you.
我看出来了我得不到你的同情了。
So I'm going to take a couple of painkillers and let you tell everyone what the subject of today's show is.
我要吃几片止痛片,你来告诉大家今天节目的主题吧。
Alright then. Well, it's drinking too much, Rob.
好吧。今天的主题就是饮酒过量。
And I have a question for you.
我有一个问题要问你。
What is the name of the main process involved in producing alcohol?
酒的生产过程中最主要的一道程序是什么?
Is it…a) fermentation?
a) 发酵?
b) hydration?
b) 水合作用?
Or c) purification?
还是 c) 提纯?
OK, I know it has something to do with water so I'm going to go for b) hydration.
我知道是和水有关的,所以我选b) 水合作用。
It rings a bell from chemistry lessons at school.
这让我想起之前在化学课上学到的知识。
Well, we'll find out later on in the show whether you were listening carefully in class, Rob.
好的,节目最后我们看看你上课有没有认真听讲。
Well, er… no comment.
额,无可奉告。
Well, most people are aware of the links between smoking and cancer,
大多数人都知道抽烟和癌症之间有关联,
but fewer are aware that drinking alcohol is linked to an increased risk of future health problems.
但很少有人意识到饮酒也会加大未来出现健康问题的风险。
The UK government is currently trying to raise awareness with their new guidelines on how much it's safe to drink.
英国政府最近出台了一些饮酒量参考,想要提高大家对安全饮酒的关注。
Let's hear what Dr Michael Moseley has to say about health risks.
我们来听听Michael Moseley医生讲述健康风险问题。
Unfortunately whatever level of alcohol you are drinking
不幸的是,无论你喝多少酒
it is likely to increase your risk of some forms of cancer, particularly breast cancer,
都有可能增加得某种癌症的几率,尤其是乳腺癌,
but also other rarer forms of cancer like head, neck, and the throat.
也有可能是其他罕见癌症,如脑癌,颈癌和食道癌。
The rest are quite low at moderate drinking but they do rise rapidly.
如果是适度饮酒,得其他癌症的几率很小,但如果饮酒过量,癌症患病率会大大增加。
So any drinking at all – even one small glass of wine with your evening meal – raises your risk of cancer?
所以只要是喝酒,哪怕是晚饭时喝了一小杯酒,都会增加癌症的患病风险?
Is that right?
是不是?
Yes. And the health risk increases with the amount you drink.
是的。健康风险与你的酒量成正比。
But I thought wine was supposed to be good for you?
但是我一直认为饮酒对人体有好处。
It's a popular belief, but medical evidence doesn't seem to support this view.
很多人都这么认为,但是并没有医学证据证明这一点。
Let's listen to Dr Michael Moseley again on this.
我们继续听听Michael Moseley医生的看法。
Now there's long been this idea there is this marvellous stuff in red wine called 'resveratrol'
一直以来有这样一种观点,认为红酒中有一种神奇的物质“白藜芦醇”,
which is said to reduce your risk of all sorts of things.
据说可以降低对健康造成威胁的因素。
Unfortunately the amount you'd have to consume would be so huge that the downsides of drinking red wine would swiftly overwhelm them.
不幸的是,你需要喝很多酒才能发挥它的功效,但这时过量饮酒的副作用会大大超过其带来的积极影响。
And the downside of something means the disadvantages.
某物的负面影响是指缺点。
Now Alice, what's your favourite tipple?
爱丽丝,你最喜欢的酒是什么?
Well, I don't have one Rob because I'm teetotal, remember?
我没有喜欢的酒,罗伯,我滴酒不沾,你忘了吗?
A tipple is another way of saying 'an alcoholic drink'.
tipple是酒精型饮品的另一种说法。
I enjoy beetroot and kale smoothies with a dash of turmeric and ground pepper.
我喜欢甜菜根和甘蓝奶昔,外加少许姜黄和胡椒粉。
Kale? Yuk, that's disgusting!
甘蓝?天啊,好恶心!
Now, a smoothie is a thick drink made of fruit or vegetables blended with milk or yogurt or water.
奶昔是一种果蔬与牛奶、酸奶或水混合的浓稠饮品。
Well, I like sweet stuff… maybe a banana smoothie with some honey, but beetroot and kale sounds disgusting!
我喜欢甜品,像香蕉奶昔加一些蜂蜜,但是甜菜根和甘蓝听起来很恶心。
Don't knock it until you've tried it.
试过之后再发表意见。
And that means to try something before you criticize it.
这是说在你没尝试前不要妄下评论。
OK, OK, but seriously. A glass of wine makes me happy and relaxed.
好的好的,认真点说。一杯酒让我感到很开心很放松。
And there are health studies that suggest being happy is good for your health.
有健康调查显示好心情有利于健康。
That's true, but eating and drinking healthily makes me happy!
这没错,但是健康饮食才会让我开心。
Now moving on, it's important to put the risk of drinking alcohol…
我们继续说,重要的是将喝酒的风险……
…or horrible vegetable smoothies…
或者可怕的蔬菜奶昔……
… in context.
放在具体情境中考量。
Statistically, drinking alcohol regularly represents just under 1% lifetime risk of death.
据统计,规律饮酒只会增加1%的死亡率。
But actually an hour of TV watching or eating a bacon sandwich a couple of times a week is more dangerous.
但相比之下,每周看一个小时电视或每周吃几次熏肉三明治更危险。
Well, that's what I like to hear!
这正是我想听到的。
Though… what if I'm watching TV, enjoying a beer and a lovely bacon sandwich, does that triple my lifetime risk of death?
如果我看着电视,喝着啤酒,吃着熏肉三明治,我的终生死亡率会增加三倍吗?
Well, Rob, you better ask Professor David Spiegelhalter at the University of Cambridge that question.
这个问题你最好问问剑桥大学的David Spiegelhalter教授。
I was quoting him earlier about the TV watching and the bacon sandwich.
我刚才说的看电视和熏肉三明治就是引用了他的研究。
He works with statistics, but this is for another programme.
他的工作领域属于统计学,但这不是今天节目要说的。
Now, let's get on to the serious matter of today's quiz question.
现在我们回到今天的问题上。
I asked: What is the name of the main process involved in producing alcohol?
我问你:酒的生产过程中最主要的一道程序是什么?
Is it… a) fermentation, b) hydration or c) purification?
a) 发酵?b) 水合作用?还是 c) 提纯?
Well, I said b) hydration.
我选的是b) 水合作用。
Though you were sceptical, weren't you, Alice?
你对我的回答抱有疑虑是吗?
Yes. And I was right to be sceptical, which means 'doubtful', because b) is the wrong answer I'm afraid, Rob.
我的怀疑是有道理的,因为b)不是正确答案,罗伯。
The main process involved in producing alcohol is fermentation, which is the process in which yeast or bacteria changes sugar into alcohol.
酒的生产过程中最主要的一道工序是发酵,就是酵母或细菌将糖转化为酒精的过程。
Hydration is the process of making your body absorb water.
水合是人体吸收水的过程。
And purification is the act of removing some harmful things from something.
提纯是从某物中将有害物质移除。
Actually, have this glass of water, Rob.
罗伯,喝了这杯水。
Hydration is a good hangover cure – much better than hair of the dog.
水合是治疗宿醉最好的方法,比继续喝酒治疗宿醉好多了。
Cheers, Alice!
干杯,爱丽丝!
Now let's hear the words we learned today.
我们听听今天学到的单词吧。
They are:
今天学到的单词有:
hangover
宿醉
cure
良方
teetotal
滴酒不沾
hair of the dog
所谓的宿醉还得酒来解
boozy
嗜酒的
downside
负面
tipple
don't knock it until you've tried it
在没尝试前不要妄下评论
sceptical
怀疑的
fermentation
发酵
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Keep hydrated and don't forget to join us again soon.
听众朋友们多喝水,不要忘了下次节目再会。
Bye.
再见。