女足
Women’s football
Hello. This is 6 Minute English and I'm Catherine.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是凯瑟琳。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
Now Sam, have you been watching the World Cup?
萨姆,你看世界杯了吗?
Cricket or football?
板球还是足球?
Because they are both being played at the moment.
因为它们现在都在进行中。
They are. Now I’m talking about football, the Women’s World Cup.
它们都在进行中。我现在说的是足球,女足世界杯。
In that case, yes, I have.
那样的话,是的,我看了。
I’ve really enjoyed it and it’s been great that finally we can watch the matches live on TV and that there has been so much interest in the media.
我真的很享受,而且很高兴我们终于可以通过电视直播观看女足比赛,在媒体上看比赛如此有趣。
We’ll be finding out a little bit more about the history of women’s football in England in today’s programme, but first, Sam, a question for you.
我们将在今天节目中了解更多关于英格兰女足的历史,但是首先,萨姆,我有一个问题要问你。
When was the first official woman’s football World Cup?
第一次正式的女足世界杯是什么时候?
Was it... A: 1970 B: 1988, or C: 1991?
是A: 1970年 B: 1988年,还是C: 1991年?
What do you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
Well I think I can get this through mathematics rather than knowledge, so I’m not going to say it right now, but I’ll tell you later.
好吧,我想我可以通过数学而不是知识来解决这个问题,所以我现在不会说,但稍后我会告诉你。
OK. Well I will tell you the answer later in the programme.
好的。我将在稍后的节目中告诉你答案。
Now, Gemma Clarke is a writer on women’s football in England and she spoke recently on the BBC Woman’s Hour Programme.
杰玛·克拉克是英国女足方面的作家,她最近在BBC《女性时间》节目中发表了讲话。
Here she describes the reaction throughout the years to women’s football.
在这里,她描述了多年来人们对女足的反应。
Has it been easy for the women’s game in England?
英格兰女足比赛容易吗?
Women’s football has really been a struggle to play, to have any kind of agency and to be taken seriously as athletes.
女足真的很难进行,很难有任何决定权以及很难被作为运动员认真对待。
That can be seen throughout history.
纵观历史可见。
I think every moment that women’s football has had, you know there’s been a kind of, a backlash afterwards or a kind of an attempt to keep women back and to dampen enthusiasm for the sport.
我认为女足的每一个时刻,你知道的,都有一种,一种强烈抵制,或一种企图来阻止女性,抑制对这项运动的热情。
So, it’s not been easy, has it?
所以它并不容易,不是吗?
No, she said it’s been a struggle, which means it’s been difficult to make any progress.
不容易,她说这是一件难事,那指的是很难取得任何进展。
And she also mentioned that there was no agency in the women’s game.
她还提到在女足比赛中没有决定权。
To have agency means you have control over your own situation, you can make the decisions you want to make.
拥有决定权意味着你可以控制自己的处境,你可以做你想做的决定。
So she’s saying that the women’s game didn’t really have control over its own future.
所以她是说女足并不能真的掌控自己的未来。
Every time they had some success, there was a backlash, there was a negative reaction to their success.
每次她们取得一些成功,都会遭到强烈抵制,对她们的成功都有消极反应。
That’s right and she goes on to say that people tried to dampen enthusiasm for the sport.
没错,她继续谈到人们试图抑制对这项运动的热情。
They tried to make it difficult for people to see and enjoy it.
他们试图让人们很难看到并欣赏它。
So who tried to dampen enthusiasm and how did they do it?
所以是谁试图要抑制人们的热情以及他们是如何做的?
Well, during and after the First World War, women’s football became really popular with crowds of up to 50,000 watching games.
好吧,在第一次世界大战期间及之后,女足变得很受欢迎,观看比赛的人多达5万。
It may have been popular with the crowds, but it wasn’t so popular with the men who ran the game, the English Football Association.
它或许在人群中很受欢迎,但对负责比赛的英国足球协会而言它就没那么受欢迎了。
Here’s Gemma Clarke again.
这是杰玛·克拉克再次谈到的。
The men’s football association were panicked by seeing women doing so well and they banned all women from playing football on association grounds and that lasted for about 50 years.
看到女性表现如此出色,男子足球协会感到恐慌,他们禁止所有女性在协会场地踢足球,那持续了大约有50年。
It was a very concerted effort to keep women’s football at amateur status and ensure that there weren’t crowds watching them play.
他们不遗余力保持女子足球的业余地位并确保没有观众观看她们的比赛。
So the men were really worried by the success of the women’s game.
所以男人们真的很担心女足比赛的成功。
They thought that it might take money and supporters away from the men’s game.
他们认为那可能会抢走男足比赛的资金和支持者。
So they banned woman from playing on their pitches.
所以他们禁止女性在他们的球场上踢球。
This means that they no longer allowed them to use the pitches anymore.
这意味着他们不再允许她们使用运动场地。
This effectively killed the professional women’s game as up to then they had been using the same facilities as the men.
这实际上扼杀了职业女足比赛,在那之前,她们一直在使用与男子相同的设施。
This she says was a concerted effort to restrict women’s football.
她说不遗余力限制女足。
When you make a concerted effort to do something it means that you try really hard to do it.
当你不遗余力做某事时,它指的是你真的很努力地去做某事。
I’m pleased to say that the ban on woman using Football Association pitches was eventually lifted, although only comparatively recently, in 1971.
我很高兴地说,禁止女性使用足球协会运动场地的禁令最终被取消了,尽管只是在最近,在1971年。
Right, before we review today’s vocabulary, let’s have the answer to today’s question.
好的,在我们回顾今天的词汇之前,让我们先揭晓今天问题的答案。
So I asked you, Sam, when was the first official Women’s World Cup?
所以我问你,萨姆,第一次正式的女足世界杯是什么时候?
Was it… A: 1970 B: 1988, or C: 1991?
是A: 1970年 B: 1988年还是C: 1991年?
And you said Sam that you were going to work this out with maths – so come on then.
而萨姆你说你要用数学解决这个问题——那就来吧。
I know, I did! So, I know the World Cup is held every four years,
我知道,我用数学解决了这个问题!所以,我知道世界杯每四年举办一次,
it’s 2019 now, so the answer must be an odd year – bear with me - which makes it 1991.
现在是2019年,所以答案肯定是奇数年份——耐心听我说——那就是1991年。
Am I right, Catherine?
我说得对吗,凯瑟琳?
Well we’ll see if that mathematical approach is any better than actually just knowing the answer.
好吧,我们来看看那种数学方法是否比直接知道答案更好。
The first World Cup for women was actually held in...
第一届女足世界杯实际上是在……
Come on, hurry up! Let me out of my misery.
快点,快点!别让我着急了。
1970.0
1970年。
I can’t believe I got that wrong.
我不敢相信我答错了。
But, it wasn’t an official tournament.
但它并不是正式的比赛。
The first official women’s world cup was indeed 1991.
第一次正式的女足世界杯确实是在1991年。
So your maths worked.
你的数学起作用了。
So well done Sam and everybody else who got that right.
萨姆和其他所有答对的人,你们做得很好。
Now, before we get to extra time and penalties, let’s recap today’s vocabulary.
现在在我们进入加时赛和点球之前,让我们来复习一下今天的词汇。
A struggle is how you can describe something that is very difficult to achieve, something you have to fight for.
“A struggle”是你如何描述一件很难实现的事情,一件你必须为之奋斗的事情。
To have agency means being able to act independently and have control over your own choices.
“To have agency”指的是能够独立行动,能够掌控自己的选择。
A backlash is a strong negative reaction to something.
“A backlash”是对某事的强烈负面反应。
If you try to dampen enthusiasm for something, you try to make people less interested in it.
如果你试图抑制人们对某件事的热情,你就是在试图让人们对它没那么感兴趣。
Banning something means using certain powers to stop something from happening.
“禁止做某事”指的是使用某些权力阻止某事发生。
And finally, making a concerted effort means trying really hard.
最后“不遗余力”指的是很努力尝试。
Well the final whistle has blown for us today.
好的,今天的终场哨声已经吹响。
Bye for now.
再见了。
Bye!
拜!