深夜购物者
Vampire shoppers
Hello. This is 6 Minute English and I'm Neil.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And joining me today is Rob.
今天和我搭档的是罗伯。
Hello.
大家好。
Rob, how do feel about shopping?
罗伯,你对购物有什么感觉呢?
Urgh! Mooching around a shopping mall from one shop to another, spending money - it's my idea of hell!
呃!逛商场,从一个商店逛到另一个商店,花钱——是我对地狱的印象!
How about shopping online?
网上购物呢?
Ah yes, much better – sitting in front of the TV and browsing online is much easier.
啊,是的,要好得多——坐在电视机前上网要容易得多。
Well that can be a problem – it's sometimes too easy, especially when we are tired – and we sometimes make purchases we regret.
好吧,那会是个问题——它有时候太容易了,特别是当我们疲惫的时候——而且我们有时会后悔买了东西。
That's what we'll be talking about in this programme – an activity known as 'vampire shopping'.
那就是我们在本期节目中将要讨论的——一项被称为“深夜购物”的活动。
But before we continue, it's my job to set you a quiz question, so here goes.
但在我们继续之前,我的工作是给你们出一道测试题。
According to the UK's Office for National Statistics, at the end of 2018, what percentage of all retail sales took place online?
根据英国国家统计局数据,截至2018年年底,网上零售额占总零售额的比例是多少?
Was it… a) 9.8%, b) 19.8%, or c) 29.8%?
是a) 9.8%,b) 19.8%,还是c) 29.8%?
Buying things online is big business now, so I'll say c) 29.8%.
现在网上购物是大生意,所以我选c) 29.8%。
Well, you’ll have to wait a bit to find out.
好吧,你得等一会儿才能揭晓答案。
But let's talk more now about vampire shopping – this term refers to shopping late at night - traditionally a time when vampires appear.
但是现在让我们更多地来谈谈深夜购物——这个词指的是深夜购物——传统上来说是吸血鬼出现的时候。
Most of us are asleep at this time but sleep-deprived parents, shift-workers and gamers might not be.
我们大多数人在这个时候都睡着了,但睡眠不足的父母、轮班工人以及游戏玩家可能不会睡着。
If you're an insomniac – someone who can't sleep easily – it's tempting to open up your laptop and start shopping.
如果你是失眠症患者——一个很难入睡的人——那么打开你的笔记本电脑开始购物是很有诱惑力的。
Online shops are open 24 hours a day, so it's easy to get sucked in and do some shopping!
网店一天24小时营业,所以很容易被吸引进去购物!
When you get sucked into something it means you can't stop yourself getting involved with something that you didn't want to do.
当你被卷入某事时,那指的是你无法阻止自己卷入你不想做的事情。
So what you're saying Neil is at night, when we're very tired, we don't always think straight and can make some bad decisions.
所以尼尔,你的意思是在晚上,当我们很疲惫的时候,我们不会一直清楚地思考,我们会做出一些不好的决定。
That's right.
那是对的。
And this shopping temptation can be particularly problematic for those with mental health issues.
而且这种购物诱惑对那些有心理健康问题的人来说尤其成问题。
It's something Helen Undy has been talking about on the BBC Radio 4 programme, You and Yours.
它是海伦·昂迪在BBC广播4频道You and Yours节目中一直谈到的。
She is the Chief Executive of the Money and Mental Health Institute.
她是金钱和心理健康研究所的首席执行官。
Let's hear what she had to say…
让我们听听她说了什么……
Our ability to control our impulse to spend and to resist things like advertising is reduced when we're sleep deprived.
当我们睡眠不足时,我们控制冲动消费和抵制广告等事物的能力就会减弱。
Well mental health problems can have a similar effect so the mental health problems themselves make it harder to resist the urge to spend and they also cause sleep deprivation,
心理健康问题会有类似的效果,所以心理健康问题本身就使冲动消费更难抗拒,而且它们同样造成睡眠不足,
so you're alone possibly surfing the internet, and both the lack of sleep and the mental health problems make it harder to resist the things that you can see.
所以你可能独自上网,而且睡眠不足和精神健康问题使你更难抗拒你所能看到的事物。
Helen said that for all us, when we're sleep deprived – that means not having enough sleep – we find it harder to resist the urge to shop.
海伦说对我们所有人来说,当我们睡眠不足时——那是说没有足够的睡眠——我们会发现更难抑制购物的冲动。
We're more sucked in to shopping by the advertising we see.
我们更容易被所看到的广告吸引去购物。
And resist the urge means stop yourself acting on a strong feeling to do something.
抵制冲动的意思是停止自己强烈要做某事的举动。
But this is more serious for people with mental health issues.
但这对有心理健康问题的人来说更为严重。
They are particularly sleep deprived and along with everything that's going on in their minds, they find it harder to resist – to stop themselves buying things.
他们严重睡眠不足,而且随着他们头脑中发生的一切,他们发现更难抗拒——阻止自己购物。
I suppose buying things at night, if you're alone, gives you some comfort - even a feel-good factor – doing something that gives someone a happy and positive feeling.
我想如果你一个人在晚上买东西,那会给你一些安慰——甚至是一种利好因素——做给某人带来快乐和积极感的某事。
I certainly feel good when I've bought something.
当我买东西时,我确实感觉很好。
But Rob, have you ever bought something you regret?
但是罗伯,你有没有买过令你后悔的东西呢?
Yes. Bits of tech, even flight tickets to somewhere I didn't really want to go to – because they were cheap!
是的。一些科技产品,甚至是去某些我并不想去的地方的机票——因为它们便宜!
Regret is a sad feeling you get when you've made a mistake and wished you hadn't made the mistake in the first place.
后悔是当你犯了一个错误并希望当初没有犯这个错误时所产生的一种悲伤之情。
We all have regrets Rob, particularly when buying things – but there's usually the option to return something and get a refund.
罗伯,我们都有后悔的时候,尤其是买东西的时候——但是通常都有机会退货,获得退款。
That's true but it's not always easy.
那是真的,但它并不总是那么容易。
Let's hear what Helen Undy had to say about that.
让我们听听海伦·昂迪对此说了什么。
We found in our research that 75% of people, so regardless of whether you've got a mental health problem or not - three-quarters of people didn't send back the last thing they bought online that they regretted.
我们在研究中发现75%的人,不管你是否有心理健康问题——四分之三的人不会把他们在网上买的最后一件后悔的东西退回去。
We found that 4 in 10 people with mental health problems didn't send things back because they were so ashamed of the things that they were buying that they just wanted to pretend it never happened.
我们发现有心理健康问题的人中,有40%不会把东西寄回去,因为他们对自己所买的东西感到非常羞愧,他们只想假装事情从来没有发生过。
So, she says that three-quarters of people didn't send back the last thing they bought that they regretted.
所以她说四分之三的人没有把他们买的最后一件后悔的东西寄回去。
Maybe they were too embarrassed?
或许他们觉得太尴尬了?
Possibly. But it's not always easy to return an item and for those with mental health issues it can be a struggle, a great effort.
可能。但退货并不总是件容易的事,而且对于那些有心理健康问题的人来说,退货可能是一场挣扎,要下很大的功夫。
Helen Undy says that sometimes they were ashamed of their purchase.
海伦·昂迪说有时他们为自己的购买感到羞愧。
Well I think we have all bought things we are ashamed of.
好吧,我想我们都买过让自己感到羞愧的东西。
But while online shopping continues to expand the temptation will always be there.
但是,随着网上购物的不断扩大,诱惑将一直都在。
Well your question earlier was about the rise in online shopping, so what's the answer, Neil?
好吧,你之前的问题是关于网上购物的兴起,所以答案是什么呢,尼尔?
I asked according to the UK's Office for National Statistics, at the end of 2018, what percentage of all retail sales took place online?
我问,根据英国国家统计局数据,截至2018年年底,网上零售额占总零售额的比例是多少?
Was it… a) 9.8%, b) 19.8%, or c) 29.8%?
是a) 9.8%,b) 19.8%,还是c) 29.8%?
I said c) 29.8%. I've got to be right!
我说是c) 29.8%。我肯定是对的!
Well, you're not. The rise was a bit smaller at b) 19.8%.
好吧,你没回答对。增涨要较小一点,是b)19.8%。
But that's still large compared with ten years previously, when the figure was just 5.8% of all retail sales.
但与10年前相比,这个数字仍然很大,当时零售额仅占全部零售额的5.8%。
No doubt the figure will continue to rise.
毫无疑问那个数字还会继续增加。
And before I nip off to do a bit of vampire shopping, let's recap some of the vocabulary we've mentioned today.
在我走开去深夜购物之前,让我们回顾一下今天提到的一些词汇。
Starting with insomniac.
首先是“失眠症患者”。
An insomniac is someone who can't sleep easily.
失眠症患者是指无法轻易入睡的人。
They suffer from insomnia.
他们饱受失眠之苦。
Next we talked about to get sucked into something.
接下来我们谈到了“被卷入某事”。
This informal phrase means not being able to stop yourself getting involved with something that you don't want to do.
这个非正式短语的意思是不能阻止自己卷入你不想做的事情。
If you are sleep deprived, you do not having enough sleep.
如果你睡眠不足,你就没有足够的睡眠。
And if you resist the urge, you stop yourself acting on a strong feeling to do something.
如果你抑制住这种冲动,你就会停止自己强烈要去做某事的举动。
For example, resisting the urge to buy something online.
例如,抑制网上购物的冲动。
But if you don't resist the urge to buy something, it might have a feel-good factor.
但是如果你没有抑制买东西的冲动,它可能有一个利好因素。
A feel-good factor is something that makes you feel happy and positive.
利好因素是让你感到快乐和积极的某事物。
But after buying something you may have regret.
但是在你买完东西后,你可能会后悔。
That's a sad feeling you get when you've made a mistake and wished you hadn't made the mistake in the first place.
那是当你犯了一个错误,并希望当初没有犯这个错误时所产生的一种悲伤之情。
Well hopefully you haven't regretted spending 6 minutes listening to us!
希望你没有后悔花了6分钟听我们讲话!
Please join us next time and in the meantime, why not check us out on your favourite social media platforms and on our app.
下次再加入我们啊,同时,为什么不在你最喜欢的社交媒体平台和我们的应用上查找我们的内容呢?
Goodbye!
再见!
Goodbye!
再见!