择优挑选
Cherry-pick
Hello, this The English We Speak. I’m Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语,我是菲菲。
…and hello, I’m Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Why have you brought a bowl of fruit into the studio?
你为什么带了一碗水果来录音室?
I’m not feeling great – and you know fruit is packed with vitamin C, so I though eating some would do me good.
我感觉不太舒服——你知道水果里含有维C,所以我觉得吃点水果会让我好一点。
Hmm I see. Well, I’m sorry you’re not feeling great, but we have got a programme to do and an English phrase to teach.
嗯,明白了。好吧,这抱歉你身体欠佳,不过我们还有节目要做,还有英语短语要教给大家。
If you don’t mind, I might just read a few lines from the script today – to save my voice.
如果你不介意的话,我可能只读今天脚本里的几句话——省省我的嗓子。
Perhaps I could just read the funny lines?
或许我可以只读有趣的几句。
No Rob! You can’t just cherry-pick what you want to say.
不,罗伯!你不能只cherry-pick你想说的台词。
Cherry-pick? No Feifei, there aren’t any cherries in my fruit bowl- so I won’t be picking any.
挑拣樱桃?不,菲菲,我的水果碗里没有樱桃——所以我不会挑拣任何樱桃。
I wasn’t referring to your fruit.
我不是在说你的水果。
When you cherry-pick something, it means you choose only what’s best or most desirable out of a group of things or a group of people.
如果你“Cherry-pick”什么东西,意思就是在一组事物或人当中“择优挑选,捡最好的挑”。
But Rob, you’re not going to do that, are you?
但是罗伯,你不会这样做的,是吧?
Errr… shall we hear some examples of other cherry pickers?
呃……我们可以举几个其他挑选者的例子吗?
Josh says he cherry-picked the players for his football team based on their skills – but I know it’s because they were his friends!
乔希说他根据球员们的技术挑选了足球队里最好的球员——但是我知道这是因为他们是朋友!
We need to cherry-pick the best food for our new restaurant – we really want to impress our customers.
我们要给我们的新餐厅挑选最好的食物——我们真的想给顾客留下深刻的印象。
It seems unfair that our school has cherry-picked the best students to attend the conference – we should all have a chance to go.
我们学校挑选最优秀的学生出席会议,这似乎不太公平——我们都应该有机会去的。
You’re listening to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we’re talking about the phrase ‘to cherry-pick’,
你正在收听的是BBC地道英语节目,我们正在讨论“cherry-pick”这个词组,
which means 'to choose the best or most desirable things from a group'.
它是指人们在一组事物或人当中挑选出最好的、最值得拥有的那一个。
And Rob wants to cherry-pick only the best lines to read from this script.
罗伯刚才就想挑拣出他认为最好的几句台词来读。
It’s a bit unfair, Rob…
这不太公平,罗伯……
I was just trying to save my voice but I will do my best.
我只是想省省自己的嗓子,但我会做到最好的。
Would you like a piece of fruit from the bowl, Feifei?
你想吃点碗里的水果吗,菲菲?
Oh, OK then. Err, that banana is a bit mouldy… that orange is a bit yellow…I’ll have this apple, please.
好的。呃,香蕉有点发霉了……橘子有点黄……我想要一块苹果,谢谢。
Hmm, looks like you’re cherry-picking the best piece of fruit.
似乎你在挑拣最好的水果。
Right, well, now that you’ve got my delicious apple, do you mind if I go now – I’m really not feeling great.
是的,好吧,既然你要吃最美味的苹果,你介不介意我现在离开——我确实不太舒服。
Oh go on, Rob.
哦,去吧,罗伯。
But next time I’m going to cherry-pick who I present with – someone who wants a bite of the cherry to work with me.
不过下次我要挑选一个搭档——一个希望有机会和我一起工作的人。
'A bite of the cherry' means 'a chance or opportunity'.
“A bite of the cherry”是指“一个机会或时机”。
I need someone with a bit more… stamina. See ya.
我需要一个更有……毅力的人。再见~
Bye.
拜拜~