难以适应的变化
A shock to the system
This is The English We Speak. Hello, I'm Feifei…
这里是BBC地道英语,大家好,我是菲菲。
And hello! I’m Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Hey, Rob. How was your holiday?
嘿,罗伯,假期过得怎么样?
Absolutely fantastic - a whole week sitting around, relaxing, doing nothing. Perfect!
超级棒——一整周只用闲坐着,放松,什么都不用做,太完美了!
It sounds great, so why are you looking so grumpy today?
听起来不错呀,可你为什么今天看起来有点不开心?
Well, it's my first day back at work and it's been a shock to the system.
好吧,这是我假后第一天上班,真的是“a shock to the system”。
A shock?! Did you get a shock in the office?
触电?你在办公室被电击了?
Well, no. Not something dangerous, like an electric shock.
哦,不是的,不是像电击这样的危险事情。
I mean experiencing 'a sudden and unpleasant change from what you have been used to'.
我的意思是经历了突然的、不好的变化,与过去不一样。
For me, it's a change from relaxing and doing nothing on the beach to suddenly being back in the office, sitting at my desk, working hard – with you!
于我而言,也就是突然从在沙滩上放松着无所事事突然回到了办公室,坐在办公桌前,努力工作——和你一起!
That does sound like a shock!
听起来确实像是一个冲击!
Well, here are some other people who've experienced a shock to the system…
好吧,这里有一些也经历了巨大冲击之后感觉不适应的人……
After such a long and hot summer, this cold weather has come as a shock to the system.
经历了这样漫长炎热的夏季,寒冷的天气真的让人很不适应。
I hope they can fix my car quickly. Walking to work has been a bit of a shock to the system.
我希望他们可以快点修好我的车,走路去上班可不是好应付的改变。
My daughter has found starting secondary school a real shock to the system. She gets so much homework!
我女儿发现初中生活真不好适应,作业太多了!
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English. We've discovered that 'a shock to the system' means experiencing 'a sudden and unpleasant change'.
这里是BBC地道英语,短语“a shock to the system”是指经历了“突然而又不愉快的变化”。
It's what Rob's experienced coming back to work today.
罗伯今天回来上班就是这样的感受。
So, I guess your holiday is already a distant memory, Rob.
所以,罗伯,我想你的假期已经是一个遥远的回忆了。
Yes, it is.
是的。
All that relaxing and doing nothing, hey?
放松着无所事事,是吗?
But I'm still confused.
不过我还是不明白。
Why's that?
为什么?
'A shock to the system' is 'a sudden change' – but you did the same thing on holiday as you do in the office. There's no change!
'A shock to the system'是指“突然的变化”——但是你假期里做的事和在办公室做的是一样的呀,没什么变化呀!
Very funny. But, hold on.
真有意思,不过等一下。
If that's what you think, I might as well wear these.
你要是这样想的话,或许我也应该穿这些衣服。
Oh no! Swimming shorts and a hat! Please, go and cover up!
哦,不要!游泳短裤和帽子!拜托,快穿上衣服!
OK. See ya!
好的,拜拜!
Bye-bye!
拜!