嗅觉灵敏就能“发现新事物”
To have a good nose (for something)
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语,我是菲菲……
… and hello, I'm Rob.
哈喽,我是罗伯。
Errr, what is that smell?
呃……什么味道?
Smell? I can't smell anything.
有味道吗?我什么都没闻到。
There is definitely a terrible smell, like mouldy cheese.
这儿确实有一股很难闻的味道,就像发霉的奶酪。
What's in that bag, Rob?
你这袋子里装的是什么,罗伯?
Oh, this bag! You're right, it is cheese.
哦,这个袋子呀!是的,里面装的奶酪。
Beautiful, delicious Stilton cheese in fact. Would you like some?
好看又好吃的斯提尔顿干奶酪,你要不要尝尝?
No! So why have you got a bag of mouldy cheese?
不!所以你为什么带着一袋子发霉的奶酪?
Well, I stopped at the cheese shop on the way to the office and saw this cheese was half price –
好吧,来办公室的路上我看到一家奶酪店,这个奶酪五折优惠——
and you probably know, I have a good nose for a bargain.
你应该知道的,我可有发现便宜货的“好鼻子”。
I don't think so, Rob – judging by this cheese, you have a bad nose – it smells awful!
我可不觉得,罗伯——闻闻这奶酪,你的鼻子可不怎么好——这味道太难闻了!
No, Feifei. When you have a nose – or even a good nose - for something, it's not about your sense of smell.
不是的,菲菲。当我们说在某事上“you have a nose”——或者说“a good nose”,不是说你的嗅觉灵敏。
It describes someone who is naturally good at finding and recognising something –
这是指一个人有擅长寻找或发现一些东西的能力。
in my case, finding a bargain!
要说我,那就是擅长“捡便宜”!
I'm not so sure about that, Rob!
这个我可不大确定,罗伯。
Well, I have a good nose for finding examples – so here they are…
不过,我可是擅长举例子——一起来听一听吧……
We need to sell more newspapers, so we need to find a reporter with a good nose for a story.
我们要提高报纸销量,所以我们要找一位擅长挖掘故事的记者。
I have a good nose for learning languages and was fluent in Spanish in just a year!
我擅长学习语言,不到一年的时间,我的西班牙语就说的很流利了!
My mum's got a nose for bargains and booked us all flights to Italy for just fifty pounds each.
我妈妈擅长发现打折商品,她给我们订的去意大利的机票每张只要50英磅(约合人民币437元)。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're finding out about the phrase 'to have a good nose (for something)'.
这里是BBC地道英语栏目,我们在讨论短语“to have a good nose (for something)”的含义。
Rob claims to have one, but I'm not so sure.
罗伯说自己也有擅长的事情(捡便宜),不过我可不确定。
So how much did you pay for this cheese, Rob?
所以说,罗伯,你买这奶酪花了多少钱?
Only 20 pounds – it was half price!
只花了20英镑(约合人民币174元)——这可是半价优惠!
That's because it's old – look, it's going green!
那是因为这不新鲜了——你看,都长绿毛了!
Sorry, Rob - this cannot stay in the studio.
不好意思,罗伯,这可不能放在演播厅里。
It stinks – out it goes.
这怪味熏天的——赶紧弄出去吧。
Oh, that's not very nice.
这可不怎么好。
Hold on, I can still smell something bad.
等一下,我还是能闻到什么怪味。
It's your socks! Look, you haven't got your shoes on. Urghhh!
你的袜子!你看,你都没穿鞋子,呕……
Wow, Feifei, you really have got a good nose – a good nose for bad smells!
哦,菲菲,你的鼻子太好用了——你太擅长发现臭味了!
Your bad smells, Rob!
都是你制造的臭味,罗伯!
Time to go. Bye.
该走了,拜拜~
Bye.
拜~