圈外人
Out of the loop
Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei and with me is Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到地道英语,我是菲菲,这是尼尔。
Hi there.
大家好。
Neil, what are you doing sitting down?
尼尔,你坐在这里做什么?
Presenting this programme – like we always do – sitting in a chair.
主持节目啊,就跟以前一样,坐在椅子上。
You clearly don't know about our new healthy working policy – no more sitting down – standing up is better for you!
看来你还不知道我们最新的一项健康工作方针——不再坐下,站起来更有利健康!
Oh, alright then, I'll stand up if I have to.
哦,好吧,既然这样我就站起来吧。
Oh, Neil! No drinking coffee in the studio. Health and safety!
哦尼尔,不要在工作室喝咖啡了,注意健康和安全!
Obviously, you missed our meeting about the new healthy working policy. You are clearly out of the loop.
你显然错过了那次关于新的健康工作方针的会议。你真的成了圈外人了呢。
What? There's a loop I have to stand in now?
啥?现在又让我站到一个圈子里吗?
No, Neil. You missed our meeting where we discussed the new healthy working policy, and now you're out of the loop.
不是的尼尔,上次开会我们讨论了新的健康工作方针,而你没有参加会议,你现在就是out of the loop,
It means you don't have, or are not aware of the knowledge a particular group of people do have. In other words, you've missed out on something.
意思是你没有了解或者说不知道一个特定的人群知道的信息。
Oh, I hate missing out on things. We'd better hear some examples so I can be 'in the loop' about this English phrase.
噢,我讨厌错过。我们最好来听几个例子以便我能进入这几个词汇的“圈子”。
I've been out of the loop since I went on holiday. I didn't know Geeta and Bilal had got engaged!
自从去度假之后我就成了圈外人。我都不知道Geeta和Bilal订婚了!
They kept me out of the loop, so it was a shock to discover that they were moving our sales team to Birmingham!
他们把我排斥在圈子之外,所以当我发现他们将我们销售团队搬到伯明翰时我非常震惊!
Please keep me in the loop if you have any more discussions about the building work. Thanks!
任何有关这项建筑工程的讨论都请让我知晓进展情况。谢谢了!
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
这里是BBC地道英语栏目。
And we're hearing about the phrase 'out of the loop', which describes not having, or not being aware of the knowledge a particular group of people do have.
我们正在听的是out of the loop这个词组,描述的是没有或不知道特定人群所知道的的信息。
The opposite is being 'in the loop'. But Neil, you are out of the loop.
它的反义词是in the loop。但是尼尔,你现在是个圈外人。
Yes, yes, yes. You've made that clear. I missed the meeting and I don't know about this stupid 'healthy working policy'.
是的是的,你说的很清楚了,我错过了那次会议,我对这个愚蠢的健康工作方针毫不知情。
Where were you anyway?
你当时在哪儿呢?
Down at the café. You know, having a big fry-up. Eggs, bacon, sausages! Delicious!
在咖啡馆呢,你懂的,吃了顿大餐,煎蛋,培根、香肠,美味极了!
So unhealthy! That's got to stop. Come on, Neil!
这么不健康!你不能再这样了尼尔!
Where are we going?
我们要去哪里?
We're going for a lunchtime run with the rest of the team. It's part of our new healthy working policy!
我们要和部门其他人去吃中饭,这也是新的健康工作方针之一。
Urghh! I think I'd rather stay out of the loop from now on.
呃!现在我想我还是待在圈子外面吧。
Bye!
拜!