提升技能
Up your game
Welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil.
欢迎收听地道英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Feifei.
我是菲菲。
Actually, Feifei, can you help me with something?
那个,菲菲,你能不能帮帮我?
Go on.
继续说。
There's this girl I like.
有个我喜欢的女孩儿。
I want to ask her for coffee.
我想请她一起喝咖啡。
But I don't want to seem too serious or creepy or anything.
但我不想看起来太严肃,或者太吓人,或者其他什么的。
Just friendly.
只想看起来友好一点。
And you're writing her a message?
你在给她写短信?
OK.
好的。
I just can't find the words.
我只是不知道该说什么。
Easy.
简单。
Stick a couple of emojis on there.
贴一些表情符号。
Much less formal!
就不会显得那么正式啦!
You mean, like, a smiley face?
你是说,比如,一个笑脸?
Yeah, but those are so last year.
对,但那些太过时了。
Maybe a love heart?
或许发个爱心?
Seriously?
你是认真的吗?
That's a bit too much.
那有点太过了。
You need to up your emoji game!
你需要提高你发表情的“游戏”哦!
My emoji game… like an emoji of a video game… or a football?
我的表情游戏……像电子游戏的表情……或者一个足球?
No.
不是的。
The phrase 'to raise your game', or 'to up your game', means to improve.
短语“提升你的技巧”,或是“提高你的技巧”,意思是提高。
Yes, it's a good phrase.
对,一个很好的短语。
Feifei, you're not working hard enough, you need to up your game!
菲菲,你工作还不够努力,你需要提高!
That's not true… but good use of 'up your game'.
这不是真的……但这个短语用得很好。
The phrase has now developed a bit.
这个短语现在有一点点变化。
We often add what we're trying to improve before the word 'game'.
我们通常在“游戏”这个词前面加上我们试图提高的东西。
Like this:
像这个:
I never finish novels.
我从来读不完一本小说。
I need to up my reading game.
我的阅读技能需要提高呀。
I badly need to work on my interview game before my big interview next week.
在下周的重大面试之前,我急需在我的面试技巧上下功夫。
You could do with a bit more exercise, mate.
你可以多做些运动啊老兄。
You should raise your running game!
你应该提高你的跑步技能。
Great.
很好。
Hope those examples help.
希望这些例子有帮助。
Any progress with that text message?
你的短信有什么进展吗?
Here goes: "Lucy. Please have a coffee with me tomorrow."
你听听看:“露西,明天和我一起喝杯咖啡吧。”
And then some coffee emojis.
之后是一些咖啡的表情。
Well, it's direct!
好,很直接!
But I still think we need to up your emoji game.
但我依然觉得我们需要提高你的表情技巧。
Actually, and your texting game.
其实吧,还有你的发短信技巧。
Oh, and your dating game…
噢,还有你的约会技巧……
We've got a lot of work to do!
我们真的是有很多工作要做呢!
Oh, ok.
噢,好吧。
Well I already sent the message.
我已经把消息发出去了。
Let's hope it works!
让我们希望它管用吧!
And she's replied already.
她已经回信息了。
No way, what did she say?
不是吧,她说啥了?
"Neil. I thought you'd never ask!
“尼尔。我还你为你永远都不会问我呢!
I'd love to have coffee. 3pm?"
我很愿意去喝咖啡。下午三点?”
And then a couple of big smiley emojis.
然后是几个大大笑脸的表情符号。
Wow, congratulations.
哇哦,恭喜啊。
Maybe it's me who needs to up my game.
可能该提升技巧的是我吧。
Looks like it!
看起来是的!
Bye.
再见。