交际英语中常用“过去式”表示“现在”

在交际用语中,说话人为了表示礼貌或客气,常用过去时态来表达现在的情况。例如:

Would you please do me a favor?

Would you mind if I opened the door?

I’d appreciate it if you could be quiet.

Wouldn’t it be great if you explained the reason to us?

有些动词包括情态动词,其过去时态表示现在的情况,属于一种委婉表达。除了would之外,couldmight也同样可以用来表达现在的婉转请求、建议、疑问或看法。例如:

Could you tell me the way to the station? 请告诉我去车站的路好吗?

Could I speak to you in private a moment, John? 约翰,我可以单独跟你说一会儿话吗

Oh, how could you be so stupid? 哎呀,你怎么这么蠢啊!

It's boring to walk all alone. Couldn't you go for walks with your friends? 一个人走路很没意思。你可以和朋友们一起去散步呀?

Might I ask what you're doing here? 我可不可以问一下,您在这里干什么?

You might as well bring me a chocolate next time.你下次最好给我带块巧克力来。

I might well regret it later. 我很可能以后会对此后悔的。

The paper says that it might rain tomorrow. 报上说明天可能下雨。

I have got a lot of books that might interest you. 我有许多书,也许你感兴趣呢。

The drivers, as you might imagine, didn't care much for that. 和想象中的一样,这些司机对此并不太在意。

【比较】

Could I use your telephone? (意味着I'm not sure if you will allow me to use your phone.)

Might I use your telephone? (意味着If I don't break it, would you mind my using your phone?) 

此外,一些表示“想法,愿望”的动词,如:wonder, hope, think, want等,它们的过去时态可以表示现在婉转的想法或愿望。

I was wondering if you could lend me a hand. (是现在的委婉建议)

We hoped you would do us a favor now. (指现在婉转的希望)

I thought you might like this flower.(指现在的情况,但不敢肯定。) 

I wanted to ask you a question now.(担心对方不给回答,属于婉转。)

Did you wish to see me at present? (属现在的委婉请求。)