不怎么样
No great shakes
Hello, I'm Rob…
大家好,我是罗布……
… and I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
……我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
Now Feifei, did you try out that new cafe on the way to work today?
菲菲,你今天去咱们上班路上的那家新餐馆了吗?
Yes, I did –
对,我去了,
I was really impressed –
让我印象深刻,
the new cafe has a great range of food and friendly staff.
这家新餐馆食物种类很多,那里的员工也友好热情。
So have you tried it Rob?
你去那家吃过吗,罗布?
Yeah, I've been there twice now –
是的,我已经去过两次了,
but, well, it's no great shakes.
但是,嗯,那里“没有很好的奶昔”。
No great shakes?!
“没有很好的奶昔”?!
That's the best thing about it,
那是这家餐馆最棒的东西了,
they sell amazing banana milkshakes…
他们家卖的香蕉奶昔非常棒……
mmmm …
嗯……
No, no, no.
不不不。
I wasn't talking about the shakes –
我不是在说奶昔,
I was referring to the cafe generally –
我指的是这家餐馆,
there's nowhere to sit, the queues are long,
没有地方坐,队排的很长,
and they didn't put enough froth on my skinny cappuccino –
而且他们在我的低脂卡布奇诺里放的泡沫也不够——
so it's no great shakes –
所以这家餐馆不怎么样——
in other words, it's not very good.
换句话说,这家餐馆不是很好。
Oh so no great shakes is an expression that means it's not very good.
噢所以“不怎么样”这种说法的意思是这个东西不怎么好。
So you're not impressed?
所以你印象不深咯?
I'm afraid not.
恐怕我是印象不深。
And no great shakes also means 'ordinary' which describes this cafe.
这个短语也有“普普通通”的意思,可以用来描述这家餐馆。
Let's hear some more examples of this phrase in action…
让我们再来听几个例子,看看这个短语是怎么用的吧……
My sister puts on a good dinner party but she's no great shakes when it comes to cooking!
我妹妹举办了一个很棒的晚宴,但说到烹饪技艺,她就不怎么样了!
That new singer has a great voice but he's no great shakes at playing the guitar.
那位新歌手的嗓音很好听,但是他弹吉他不怎么样。
The film sequel is no great shakes compared with the first one –
和第一部相比,这部电影的续集不怎么样,
there was no story and the special effects were awful!
丝毫没有故事情节,特效也很糟糕!
So that's the expression no great shakes which means not very good or not very impressive.
所以“不怎么样”这个表达方式的意思就是不是很好,或者不会让人印象深刻。
But Rob, maybe if you did try the banana milkshake it might change your opinion about the cafe?
不过罗布,如果你真的去尝试一下香蕉奶昔,它可能会改变你对这家餐馆的看法呢?
Look, I've got one here…
看,我这里有一份……
Mmmm, thanks, yeah…
嗯,谢谢,是的……
It's not bad, actually.
实际上味道不错。
This is a great shake.
这奶昔太棒了。
OK, well, perhaps I'll give it a second chance…
好了,嗯,也许我会给它第二次机会……
Where are you going?
你要去哪里?
To buy a milkshake!
去买一杯奶昔!
You do know they cost four pounds?
你知道要花4英镑吗?
What?
什么?
Four pounds!
4英镑!
Yes well, as I was saying, that cafe really is no great shakes.
好吧,正如我之前所言,那家餐馆真不怎么样。
If you say so Rob.
如果你说是,那就是吧,罗布。
Bye.
再见。
Bye.
再见。