想出好办法
To pull something out of the hat
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak.
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语。
I'm Feifei and I'm waiting for Rob…
我是菲菲,我正等罗布呢…
I have some good news for him!
我有好消息要告诉他!
Oh hi Feifei.
噢,嗨,菲菲。
You're looking very pleased with yourself.
你看上去很开心呀。
Yes, I am.
对,我是很开心。
You know that new singer we really really like and wanted to go and see?
你知道我们真的,真的很喜欢,并且想去看他的那位新歌手吧?
You mean Justin Timberriver?
你是说贾斯丁·蒂姆伯里弗?
Yes him.
对,是他。
And you know that his world tour is a sell-out –
你知道他世界巡演的票卖完了吧?
there are no tickets left?
没有余票了。
Yes, sadly.
对啊,真是令人伤心。
Well, look at these!
嗯,看这些!
Wow!
哇哦!
Two tickets to see Justin Timberriver in London tomorrow!
两张明天在伦敦看贾斯丁·蒂姆伯里弗的票!
That's amazing, how did you manage to pull those out of the hat?
真是太棒了,你是怎么把它们从帽子里拿出来的?
Err Rob -
呃,罗布——
I didn't pull them out of anyone's hat -
我不是从谁的帽子里把它们拿出来的——
I used my own money to buy them from a friend.
我用自己的钱从一个朋友那里买来的。
No Feifei -
不,菲菲——
if you 'pull something out of a hat' it means you produce something unexpectedly -
如果你从帽子里拿出某样东西,意思是说你出乎意料地给出了某样东西——
by surprise -
出其不意地——
and solves a problem.
并且解决了一个问题。
OK, I see!
好的,我明白了!
So these tickets are an unexpected surprise?
所以说这些票是意料之外的惊喜了?
Yes -
对——
I thought we would never get any.
我原本想我们弄不到票的。
Let's hear some more examples while I calm down!
让我们再来听几个例子吧,我在这期间来平静一下!
We thought we'd never complete the project on time but somehow,
我们原本以为不能按时完成这个项目了,
Javeed managed to pull it out of the hat.
但贾韦德却不知怎么想出了好办法。
Our team has had a bad season
我们队这个赛季并不顺利,
but they still managed to pull a cup victory out of the hat by the end of it.
但他们最后还是出乎意料地赢得了胜利的奖杯。
So, if you pull something out of a hat,
所以,如果说你从帽子里拿出某样东西,
you do something that is not expected and it makes a bad situation better.
就是指你做了某件出乎意料的事情,并且这件事情让坏的境况有所好转。
You can also say 'to pull something out of thin air'.
你也可以说“从稀薄的空气中拿出某样东西”。
So it's like magic?
所以这就像变戏法一样咯?
Yes.
对。
It's just like how a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat –
这就像魔术师从帽子里变出一只兔子来一样——
I don't suppose you could do that could you?
我觉得你做不到,对吧?
No Rob.
我做不到,罗布。
But maybe you could pull something out of the hat for me?
但也许你可以从帽子里变出一些东西给我哦。
Oh, what's that?
噢,变什么?
The tickets cost 100 pounds each –
这票每张100英镑——
could I have the money now please?
现在就请把钱给我好吗?
100 pounds?
100英镑?
Where am I going to find that?
我去哪里找呀?
Look inside that silly hat you're wearing.
看看你戴的那顶傻傻的帽子里有没有。
It's not silly.
我的帽子才不傻呢。
Bye!
再见!