咖啡杯你是用自己的吗?
Coffee cups: Do you use your own?
Hello, and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
Now Rob, we’ve talked before on this programme about our love of coffee.
罗伯,在这个节目之前我们谈到了我们对咖啡的热爱。
Oh yes, indeed. I couldn’t function without it.
哦,是的,的确。没有它我不能工作。
But have you ever thought about the environmental consequences of all those disposable coffee cups?
但是你想过那些一次性咖啡杯对环境的影响吗?
Oh yes, indeed. I always carry a reusable cup with me so I don’t have to throw one away.
哦,是的,确实。我总是随身携带一个可重复使用的杯子,所以我就不用把咖啡杯扔掉了。
So if a disposable cup is one you throw away, a reusable one is one that you can use again and again.
所以如果一次性杯子是你扔掉的杯子,那可重复使用的杯子就是你可以反复使用的杯子。
Yes, there is a big problem with disposable cups in that many of them can’t be recycled,
是的,一次性杯子有一个很大的问题,因为它们很多都无法回收,
so there is a lot of waste for something we only use for a short time.
所以对于一些我们只使用很短时间的东西来说,那很浪费。
What are the big coffee shop chains doing about this problem?
对于这个问题,大型咖啡连锁店做了什么?
We’ll find out a little bit more shortly, but first, a quiz for you.
我们很快会找到更多内容,但首先,有一个测试问题问你。
Which country drinks the most coffee per capita – so not the total amount of coffee but the average per person.
哪个国家的人均咖啡消费量最高——不是总的咖啡消费量,而是人均咖啡消费量。
Is it: a) Japan, b) Kenya, or c) Finland?
是a)日本,b)肯尼亚,还是c)芬兰?
What do you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
Ooh, tricky.
哦,很棘手啊。
I don’t think the Japanese are big coffee drinkers and I know they produce a lot of coffee in Kenya.
我不认为日本人很爱喝咖啡,我知道肯尼亚生产很多咖啡。
I’m surprised the USA isn’t on the list but I’m going for Finland. Just because.
我很惊讶美国不在名单之上,但正因如此,我要选芬兰。
Well, we'll see if you're right later in the programme.
好吧,稍后我们将看看你是否回答正确。
On a recent BBC You and Yours radio programme they discussed the topic of coffee cups.
在BBC最近的广播节目 You and Yours中,他们讨论了咖啡杯这个话题。
Some of the big chains are now charging customers more for a disposable cup and giving discounts if people bring their own reusable.
一些大型连锁店现在对一次性杯子向顾客收取更高的费用,如果顾客自带可重复使用的杯子,会给予折扣。
However not all of the shops actually collect old cups and sort them for recycling in the shop itself.
然而实际上并不是所有的咖啡店都回收旧杯子,对它们进行分类回收。
Here’s Jaz Rabadia from Starbucks.
这是星巴克的贾兹·瑞巴蒂安谈到的。
Is the store only interested in facilities inside their shops?
星巴克只对店内设施感兴趣吗?
It is something that we are in the process of rolling out and it will be in all of our stores.
这是我们正在推广的,那将在我们所有的店面展开。
It's also not just our stores in which these cups end up.
这些杯子不会仅出现在我们的店里。
So we're doing a lot of work outside of our store environment to ensure that paper cups can be recycled on the go.
所以我们在我们店之外做了很多工作,以确保纸杯可以循环使用。
We're working with our environmental charity partner Hubbub to increase recycling infrastructure outside of our stores because that too is where a lot of our cups will end up.
我们正在与我们的环保慈善合作伙伴Hubbub合作来增强我们店外的回收基础设施,因为那里也会有很多杯子。
So are they just working in their stores at improving recycling?
所以他们只是在他们的店里提高回收利用吗?
Well no, after all most people take their coffee out of the stores, so they are working on recycling infrastructure outside as well.
好吧,不是,毕竟大多数人都外带咖啡,所以他们也在店外从事回收基础设施的工作。
This will be things like bins and collection points which are clearly marked for coffee cups.
就像是回收箱和收集点这样的,它们被清楚地标记为咖啡杯回收的地方。
And what about enabling recycling cups in store?
在店里启用可回收杯怎么样?
Well she said that was something they are rolling out to all stores.
她说这是他们正在向所有店推广的东西。
Rolling out here means introducing over a period of time.
“Rolling out”在这里指的是在一段时间内采用。
So it’s starting to happen, but is not finished yet.
所以它开始出现,但还没有结束。
Let’s listen again.
让我们再听一遍。
It is something that we are in the process of rolling out and it will be in all of our stores.
这是我们正在推广的,那将在我们所有的店展开。
It's also not just our stores in which these cups end up.
这些杯子不会仅出现在我们的店里。
So we're doing a lot of work outside of our store environment to ensure that paper cups can be recycled on the go.
所以我们在我们店之外做了很多工作,以确保纸杯可以循环使用。
We're working with our environmental charity partner hubbub to increase recycling infrastructure outside of our stores because that too is where a lot of our cups will end up.
我们正在与我们的环保慈善合作伙伴Hubbub合作来增强我们店外的回收基础设施,因为那里也会有很多杯子。
Not everyone, however, believes that the coffee chains are doing everything that they can.
然而并不是所有人都相信咖啡连锁店正在做自己所能做的每一件事。
This is Mary Creagh, a member of the British parliament.
这是玛丽·克雷格,英国国会议员。
She compares the situation to that of the plastic bag charge.
她将这种情况与塑料袋收费做了比较。
This was a law brought in to force shops to charge customers for plastic bags, which previously had been free.
这是一项强制商店向顾客收取塑料袋费用的法律,此前塑料袋是免费的。
If you think you’re having to pay extra for something, as we saw with the plastic bags,
如果你认为你对于某些东西不得不额外支付,正如我们看到的塑料袋,
we think a similar psychological measure is needed, a nudge measure, to encourage people to remember to bring their reusable cup with them,
那么我们认为类似的心理测量是必要的,一项鼓励人们要记得带着自己可重复使用杯子的推动措施,
and of course this is something that the coffee shops have been fighting tooth and nail.
当然这是咖啡店已经竭尽全力在做着的事情。
She thinks that we consumers need a nudge to help us remember our reusable cups.
她认为我们消费者需要一个推动来帮助我们记得我们可重复使用的杯子。
Yes, we need a nudge, which is a little push, a reason.
是的,我们需要一个推动,那是一个小小的推动,一个理由。
In this case, she is thinking of a law to make them charge more.
在这种情况下,她正在考虑制定一项法律,让他们收取更高的费用。
But she says the coffee chains really don’t want this, they are, she says, fighting it tooth and nail.
但是她说咖啡连锁店真的不想这样,他们正在竭尽全力。
If you fight something tooth and nail you are against it completely and try to stop it.
如果你竭尽全力,你就是完全反对它,并试图阻止它。
Let's hear MP Mary Creagh again.
让我们再听一遍玛丽·克雷格所说的。
If you think you’re having to pay extra for something, as we saw with the plastic bags,
如果你认为你对于某些东西不得不支付额外支付,正如我们看到的塑料袋,
we think a similar psychological measure is needed, a nudge measure, to encourage people to remember to bring their reusable cup with them,
那么我们认为类似的心理测量是必要的,一项鼓励人们要记得带着自己可重复使用杯子的推动措施,
and of course this is something that the coffee shops have been fighting tooth and nail.
当然这是咖啡店已经竭尽全力在做着的事情。
Time to review our vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to the quiz question.
是时候回顾我们的词汇了,但是首先,让我们揭晓问题的答案。
Which country drinks the most coffee per capita?
哪个国家的人均咖啡消费量最高?
Is it: a) Japan, b) Kenya, or c) Finland?
是a)日本,b)肯尼亚,还是c)芬兰?
What did you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
I took a bit of a guess at Finland.
我猜是芬兰。
Well, congratulations, your guess was correct.
恭喜你,你猜对了。
The Finns on average get through an amazing 12kg of coffee a year, each.
芬兰人平均每人每年要消费12千克咖啡,很惊人。
Now, onto the vocabulary.
现在,继续词汇部分。
We had a couple of related but opposite words.
我们学了几个相关但意思相反的单词。
Something disposable is designed to be used once or a few times and then thrown away,
一次性物品是被设计为只使用一次或几次,然后扔掉,
and a reusable is designed to be used again and again.
而可重复使用的东西被设计成可重复使用。
We then had rolling out which in a business sense is the process of gradually introducing something new.
然后我们学了“rolling out”,那在商业意义上指的是逐步引进新事物的过程。
This could be a new system, new product, new technology or even a new way of doing things.
这可以是一个新系统,新产品,新技术,甚至是一种新的做事方式。
New ideas often need new infrastructure.
新想法常常需要新的基础设施。
This is usually physical structures that are needed to make something work, for example rail infrastructure includes things like tracks, stations and signals.
这通常是使某些东西工作所需要的物理结构,例如铁路基础设施包括轨道、车站和信号。
A nudge is a small push, to encourage us to do something.
“A nudge”是一个小小的推动,鼓励我们做某事。
You don’t need a nudge to carry a reusable coffee cup, do you?
你不需要一个推动来携带一个可重复使用的咖啡杯,是吗?
Oh, no, I’m all for it. In fact I’d fight tooth and nail to keep hold of my reusable.
哦,不需要,我完全赞成。事实上我会竭尽全力握住我可重复使用的杯子。
Which is quite a coincidence as that was our last expression today.
很巧那正是我们今天最后一个表达。
To fight tooth and nail means to make a strong effort to try to stop something or achieve something.
“To fight tooth and nail”指的是竭尽全力去阻止某事或实现某事。
Well, that’s all from us. We look forward to your company next time.
好吧,以上就是我们节目所有内容。我们期待你的下次参与。
Just search for 'BBC Learning English'.
只需搜索“BBC Learning English”。
Goodbye!
再见!
Goodbye!
再见!