计算机能识别真笑和假笑
Faking it: Computers that spot a real smile
Hello. This is 6 Minute English, I'm Neil.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
It’s good to see you again, Sam.
很高兴再次见到你,萨姆。
Really?
真的?
Yes, of course, can’t you tell by the way I’m smiling?
是啊,当然,从我在笑这点你还看不出来吗?
Ah well, I find it difficult to tell if someone is really smiling or if it’s a fake smile.
好吧,我发现很难分辨一个人是真笑还是假笑。
Well, that’s a coincidence because today’s programme is all about how computers may be able tell real smiles from fake smiles better than humans can.
好吧,那只是巧合,因为今天的节目是关于计算机如何比人类更好地分辨真笑和假笑。
Before we get in to that though, a question.
然而在我们开始之前有一个问题。
The expressions we can make with our face are controlled by muscles.
我们所做面部表情是由肌肉控制的。
How many muscles do we have in our face?
我们脸上有多少块肌肉?
Is it: A: 26, B: 43, or C: 62?
是A: 26块, B: 43块,还是C: 62块?
What do you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
No idea!
不知道!
But a lot, I’d guess, so I’m going with 62.
但我猜有很多块,所以我选62块。
OK. Well, we’ll see if you’ll be smiling or crying later in the programme.
好的。我们稍后将在节目中看看你是答对而笑还是答错而哭。
Hassan Ugail is a professor of visual computing at the University of Bradford.
哈山· 优格里是布拉德福德大学的视觉计算方面的教授。
He’s been working on getting computers to be able to recognise human emotions from the expressions on our face.
他一直致力于让计算机能够从我们的面部表情而识别人类情绪。
Here he is speaking on the BBC Inside Science radio programme
这是他在BBC广播Inside Science节目上的讲话
– how successful does he say they have been?
——他说他们有多成功?
We've been working quite a lot on the human emotions, so the idea is how the facial muscle movement, which is reflected on the face, through obviously a computer through video frames,
我们在人类情绪方面做了很多工作,所以我们的想法是通过计算机,通过视频帧来了解体现在脸上的面部肌肉运动是怎样的,
and trying to understand how these muscle movements actually relate to facial expressions and then from facial expressions trying to understand the emotions or to infer the emotions.
并试图了解这些肌肉运动实际上与面部表情之间的联系,然后根据面部表情尝试理解情绪或推断情绪。
And they have been quite successful in doing that.
大家在这方面做得很成功。
We have software that can actually look at somebody's face in real time and then identify the series of emotions that person is expressing in real time as well.
我们有软件,它可以实时观察人们的面部,然后识别这个人实时表达的一系列情绪。
So, have they been successful in getting computers to identify emotions?
那么他们成功地让计算机识别情绪了吗?
Yes, he says they’ve been quite successful, and what’s interesting is that he says that the computers can do it in real time.
是的,他说他们已经相当成功了,有趣的是,他说计算机可以实时做到那些。
This means that there’s no delay.
这意味着没有延迟。
They don’t have to stop and analyse the data, or crunch the numbers, they can do it as the person is talking.
他们不需要停下来分析数据,或者处理数据,他们可以在人们说着话的时候进行分析。
The system uses video to analyse a person’s expressions and can then infer the emotions.
该系统利用视频分析一个人的表情,然后就能推断出他的情绪。
To infer something means to get an understanding of something without actually being told directly.
“推断”指的是在没有被直接告知的情况下了解某事。
So, you look at available information and use your understanding and knowledge to work out the meaning.
所以,你根据可用信息,用你的理解和知识来弄明白。
It’s a bit like being a detective, isn’t it?
这有点像当侦探,不是吗?
You look at the clues and infer what happened even if you don’t have all the details.
即使你不知道所有的细节,你也会根据线索推断出发生了什么。
Yes, and in this case the computer looks at how the movement of muscles in the face or facial muscles, show different emotions.
是的,在这种情况下,计算机会观察脸上肌肉运动或面部肌肉运动是如何表现不同情绪的。
Here’s Professor Ugail again.
再听一遍优格里教授说的。
We've been working quite a lot on the human emotions, so the idea is how the facial muscle movement, which is reflected on the face, through obviously a computer through video frames,
我们在人类情绪方面做了很多工作,所以我们的想法是通过计算机,通过视频帧来了解体现在脸上的面部肌肉运动是怎样的,
and trying to understand how these muscle movements actually relate to facial expressions and then from facial expressions trying to understand the emotions or to infer the emotions.
并试图了解这些肌肉运动实际上与面部表情之间的联系,然后根据面部表情尝试理解情绪或推断情绪。
And they have been quite successful in doing that.
大家在这方面做得很成功。
We have software that can actually look at somebody's face in real time and then identify the series of emotions that person is expressing in real time as well.
我们有软件,它可以实时观察人们的面部,然后识别这个人实时表达的一系列情绪。
So, how do the computers know what is a real or a fake smile?
那么,计算机如何知道什么是真笑,什么是假笑?
The computers have to learn that first.
计算机必须先掌握这一点。
Here’s Professor Ugail again talking about how they do that.
这是优格里教授再次谈论他们是如何做到的。
We have a data set of real smiles and we have a data set of fake smiles.
我们有真笑和假笑的数据集。
These real smiles are induced smiles in a lab.
这些真笑是在实验室被诱导产生的。
So, you put somebody on a chair and then show some funny movies and we expect the smiles are genuine smiles.
所以,你让某人坐在椅子上,然后播放一些搞笑电影,我们认为这些微笑是真笑。
And similarly we ask them to pretend to smile. So, these are what you'd call fake smiles.
同样我们让他们假装微笑。那么,这些就是你们所说的假笑。
So, what we do is we throw these into the machine and then the machine figures out what are the characteristics of a real smile and what are the characteristics of a fake smile.
所以,我们要做的就是把这些信息导入机器,然后机器就会找出真笑和假笑的特征。
So, how do they get the data that the computers use to see if your smile is fake or genuine – which is another word which means real?
那么,他们是如何获取电脑用来判断你是真笑还是假笑的数据的——这是意思为“真实的”的另一个单词。
They induce real smiles in the lab by showing people funny films.
他们通过给人们看搞笑电影在实验室里诱导产生真笑。
This means that they make the smiles come naturally.
这指的是他们会自然地微笑。
They assume that the smiles while watching the funny films are genuine.
他们认为看搞笑电影时的微笑是真实的。
And then they ask the people to pretend to smile and the computer programme now has a database of real and fake smiles and is able to figure out which is which.
然后他们让人们假装微笑,电脑程序现在有了一个真笑和假笑的数据库,它能够分辨出哪个是真笑,哪个是假笑。
Figure out means to calculate and come to an answer.
“Figure out”的意思是计算并得出结果。
Yes, and apparently the system gets it right 90% of the time, which is much higher than we humans can.
是的,很明显该系统90%的时间是正确的,这远高于我们人类的能力。
Right, well before we remind ourselves of our vocabulary, let’s get the answer to the question.
好的,在我们复习词汇之前,让我们揭晓问题的答案。
How many muscles do we have in our face?
我们脸上有多少块肌肉?
Is it: A: 26, B: 43, or C: 62?
是A: 26块, B: 43块,还是C: 62块?
Sam, are you going to be smiling? What did you say?
萨姆,你是觉得自己答对了要笑出来吗?你说是什么?
So I thought 62! Am I smiling, Neil?
我认为是62块!我答对了吗,可以笑出来吗,尼尔?
Sadly you are not, you are using different muscles for that sort of sad look!
遗憾的是,你没有,你在用不同的肌肉做出那种悲伤的表情!
Actually the answer is 43. Congratulations to anyone who got that right.
实际上答案是43块。恭喜所有答对的人。
Now our vocabulary.
现在我们的词汇部分。
Yes – facial is the adjective relating to face.
是的,“脸部的”是和脸有关的形容词。
Then we had infer.
然后我们学了“推断”。
This verb means to understand something even when you don’t have all the information,
这个动词指的是即使你没有掌握所有信息,你也能理解一些东西,
and you come to this understanding based on your experience and knowledge, or in the case of a computer, the programming.
你的这种理解是基于你的经验和知识,或者对于计算机而言的编程。
And these computers work in real time, which means that there’s no delay,
这些电脑是实时工作的,这意味着没有延迟,
and they can tell a fake smile from a genuine one, which means a real one, as the person is speaking.
它们可以在人们说着话的时候分辨假笑和真笑,那指的是真实的笑容。
They made people smile, or as the Professor said, they induced smiles by showing funny films.
他们让人们微笑,或者如教授所说,他们通过播放搞笑电影来诱导人们微笑。
And the computer is able to figure out or calculate whether the smile is fake or genuine.
而计算机可以断定出微笑是真是假。
OK, thank you, Sam. That’s all from 6 Minute English today.
好的,谢谢你,萨姆。以上就是本期六分钟英语的全部内容。
We look forward to your company next time,
我们期待你的下次参与,
Goodbye!
再见!
Bye-bye!
拜拜!