食物和心情
Food and mood
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。
– the show that brings you an interesting topic, authentic listening practice and six items of incredibly useful vocabulary.
该节目会奉上有趣的话题,纯正的听力练习,以及六个非常实用的单词。
I'm Dan…
我是丹。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
Now, a favourite topic today: food, and how food can influence your mood.
今天的话题很不错:食物,以及食物如何影响我们的心情。
Dan, tell me, what food makes you happy?
丹,告诉我,什么食物会让你开心。
Oh, you know, ice cream, chocolate… chocolate always puts a smile on my face.
你知道的,冰淇淋和巧克力。巧克力总会让我的脸上出现笑容。
And a few inches round your waistline!
也会让你的腰围宽上几英寸。
Sadly, the research we’ll be looking at today doesn’t suggest you eat more chocolate…
不幸的是,我们今天看到的调查并没有说你要吃更多的巧克力。
but it does talk about bacteria!
今天谈论的是细菌!
Bacteria – those simple, small organisms – they make me happy?
细菌,那些简单的,小的生物体?他们会让我开心?
Absolutely, the so-called good bacteria do!
没错!所谓的优良细菌会这样!
We’ll get to that, but first we’ll look at today’s question.
我们一会儿会提到的,现在我们先看看今天的问题。
How many bacteria are there in the human body?
人体内有多少细菌?
a) 39 million b) 39 billion c) 39 trillion?
a) 3900万? b)390亿? c) 39万亿?
They are pretty small. I’m going to go for c) 39 trillion.
他们真的非常小。我选c) 39万亿。
Well, we’ll find out if you’re right… by counting them one by one.
我们之后一个一个数一数,看你回答得是否正确。
That’s going to take longer than six minutes!
那可不止六分钟了!
Yes it is, so let’s get moving!
没错,所以我们赶紧继续说!
Scientists believe your mental state is connected to the bacteria in your gut.
科学家们认为你的精神状态和你内脏中的细菌紧密相连。
My gut - my stomach and the other organs my food passes through…
我的内脏,也就是我的胃,以及食物经过的其他器官。
Yes. Researchers at McMaster University in Canada and University College Cork in Ireland have found that certain bacteria help reduce anxiety in mice…
没错。加拿大麦克马斯特大学以及爱尔兰科克大学的研究人员发现某些细菌能够减轻老鼠的焦虑。
Anxiety – the state of being worried or anxious.
焦虑,是指担心忧虑的状态。
I don’t like the sound of an anxious mouse.
我不喜欢焦虑的老鼠发出的声音。
Well I'm afraid there's another mouse experiment coming up.
恐怕另一种老鼠实验也要开始啦。
Researchers at Kyushu University found germ-free mice showed more stress…
九州大学的研究人员发现无菌的老鼠更加焦躁。
Germs – a general word for bacteria and microorganisms, usually the ones which cause disease…
病菌,细菌和微生物的统称,通常会导致疾病。
So germs help reduce stress and anxiety in mice.
所以病菌会减少老鼠的压力和不安。
Any research on humans?
有关于人类的研究吗?
The BBC TV programme Trust me, I’m a Doctor has just explored this.
BBC电视节目《请相信我,我是一名医生》探究了这个问题。
They looked at foods which are high in good bacteria
他们查看了优良细菌含量较高的食物,
– a claim which more and more food products are making these days.
如今越来越多的食品都声称含有益生菌,
Yes, it’s a phrase that appears a lot in marketing.
没错,市场营销中经常出现这个说法。
But many traditional foods are high in good bacteria as well.
但很多传统的食品也富含优良菌种。
They found that homemade fermented food was best.
他们发现自家制作的发酵食品是最好的。
So things like miso soup, kimchi, yoghurt, sauerkraut – all these are fermented.
像味增汤、朝鲜泡菜、酸奶、德国泡菜都是发酵的。
Have you tried all of those?
这些你都吃过吗?
I love miso soup and kimchi.
我爱味噌汤和朝鲜泡菜。
And fermentation is the process where sugars in food are turned into acids and alcohol.
发酵是指食物中的糖转变为酸和酒精的过程。
Fermented foods are full of lots of good bacteria for your gut…
发酵食品富含很多肝脏需要的益生菌。
Anything else from the BBC programme?
BBC这个节目还说什么了?
Well, this is the man behind the BBC study, Dr Michael Mosley.
迈克尔·莫斯利支撑了该节目的研究。
In this clip, a radio presenter asks him about the best kind of food to make us happy.
在一个片段中,主持人问他什么食物能令我们开心。
What’s the good mood food?
什么是让人心情好的食物?
What shall we eat now to cheer ourselves up?
我们吃什么能够振奋精神呢?
Mediterranean diet.
地中海食谱。
Olive oil; oily fish, full of omega 3, which is really good for the brain; whole grains; lots of fruits and vegetables.
橄榄油、富含油脂的鱼、富含脂肪酸对大脑有好处。全谷类、大量的水果和蔬菜。
Sugar: terrible for you.
糖类,会让你心情不好。
Not chocolate eclairs then?
没有巧克力泡芙吗?
Sadly not. That will make you feel good for about 30 seconds until you finish it and then you feel terribly guilty.
很遗憾没有。巧克力甜点也许会让你开心30秒,但当你吃完了,你会感到沉重的罪恶感。
Right, ok. Mediterranean it is.
好吧,地中海食谱。
He said the best kind of food is the Mediterranean diet.
他说最好的食物是地中海食谱。
Now, a diet can mean an eating plan designed to help you lose weight.
食谱可以指帮助减肥的饮食计划。
But that’s not what it means here.
但这里不是这个意思。
Here it refers to the food and drink eaten by a group of people – in this case, the people living around the Mediterranean Sea.
这里是指一群人的饮食。在这里,是指生活在地中海附近的人们。
Lots of oily fish, olive oil, grains, fruits and vegetables.
富含油脂的鱼、橄榄油、谷物、水果和蔬菜。
And of course, add in plenty of fermented food too.
当然, 还有添加一些发酵食品。
And don’t eat too many fatty, sugary, chocolaty things like chocolate eclairs
不要吃太多脂肪含量高、糖类、巧克力类的食品,如巧克力泡芙,
– those are buns filled with cream and covered in chocolate.
内含大量奶油和巧克力的甜点。
It’s really not rocket science, is it?
这不是很复杂的事,不是吗?
Eating healthily is pretty straightforward, even if the science behind it is complex
吃的健康一些是很简单的事,虽然背后的科学理论很复杂。
When you say something is not rocket science, you mean it’s not difficult to understand.
当你说某件事不是很复杂,就是说不难理解。
Now, are you ready for some counting?
你准备好开始数数了吗?
Ah yes, you wanted me to count all the bacteria in my body! I said 39 trillion.
哦对,你想让我数一数我身体内所有的细菌!我说了39万亿。
And you were right.
你答对了!
The number goes up and down, but on average we’re thought to have around 39 trillion bacterial cells in the body, according to the Weizmann Institute in Israel.
据以色列威兹曼研究所的研究,这个数字上下波动,但平均来说,我们的身体内有大约39万亿的细菌细胞。
The interesting thing is they think that there are only 30 trillion human cells in the body.
有趣的是,他们认为人体内只有30万亿的人体细胞。
So there’s more bacteria than human in me?
所以我的体内,细菌比人体细胞多?
Well, maybe just you, Dan!
也许只有你是这样!
Now, before the bacteria take over completely, let’s look over today’s words one more time.
在细菌没有完全占领我们的身体前,我们看一看今天的单词。
Gut was first. It means the stomach and other organs which digest our food.
首先是内脏,指胃,以及消化食物的其他器官。
But here’s an extra tip - the word can also mean bravery when used in the plural.
额外提示一点,这个单词用于复数时,指勇气。
You’ve got guts, Neil, wearing that crazy shirt in this office!
你很有勇气,尼尔,在办公室穿这种疯狂的衬衫。
Well, thank you.
哎呀,谢谢你。
Maybe I don’t feel any anxiety about how I look! Anxiety was our second word, and it means fear or worry.
也许我没有看起来这么焦躁。焦虑是我们学到的第二个单词,指害怕、担心。
The adjective is anxious.
它的形容词形式是anxious。
You know what makes me anxious?
你知道什么会让我变得焦虑吗?
Germs. I wash my hands fifty times a day.
病菌。我每天洗手五十多次。
I can’t stand the idea of getting ill from all the germs around here.
我不能忍受我会因为这些病菌而生病。
Yes, germs are tiny organisms, and usually refers to those which carry disease.
病菌是指微小的微生物,通常指携带疾病的细菌。
But as we heard, certain germs are good for you!
但就像我们之前听到的,一些细菌对身体有好处。
Especially those which are in fermented food.
尤其是发酵食品中的。
That's food which has gone through a process where sugars turn into acids and alcohol.
发酵食品是指糖转变为酸和酒精的过程。
They often taste sour or bitter.
这些食品通常尝起来会酸一点或苦一点。
We also talk about fermenting alcoholic drinks.
我们还谈到发酵酒精类饮品。
Beer and wine are fermented.
啤酒和葡萄酒都是发酵过的。
Does that mean I should make them a part of my diet?
这是不是意味着我应当在食谱中添上这一项?
A diet not only means a healthy eating plan, but can also mean the foods and drinks consumed by an individual or group.
食谱不仅是指健康的饮食计划,也指个人或一个群体的饮食内容。
Which country has the best diet, Neil?
哪个国家的饮食最好最健康呢?
Well, in my opinion the Japanese diet.
我觉得是日本的饮食。
It’s my favourite anyway – very varied and plenty of fermented food!
那是我最喜欢的,种类多样,还有很多发酵食品。
And finally we had – it’s not rocket science – it’s simple to understand. An example?
最后我们还提到,这不是复杂的问题,也就是简单理解。有什么例子吗?
Brewing beer isn’t rocket science – you just need hops, yeast and patience.
酿酒并不复杂,你只需要啤酒花、酵母和耐心。
And there we are – a rocket speed review of today’s words!
好了,我们火速浏览了一遍今天的单词。
And that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Please join us again soon.
我们下期再会。
And we are on social media too. Make sure to visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
我们也有社交媒体,记得访问我们的Twitter, Facebook, Instagram 和 YouTube。
Bye!
再见!