禁酒的一月?
A dry January?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English
欢迎收听六分钟英语。
– the show that brings you an interesting topic, authentic listening practice and vocabulary to help you improve your language skills.
该节目会奉上一个有趣的话题,地道的听力练习以及单词,来帮助你提高语言技能。
I'm Rob…
我是罗伯。
And I'm Catherine. In this programme we'll be discussing quitting drinking and staying dry.
我是凯瑟琳。在本期节目中,我们要讨论戒酒和一直禁酒。
Right, so when you say quitting, you mean giving up
是的。当你说quitting,是指放弃,
– and when you say drinking, you're particularly referring to the activity of drinking alcohol.
当你说道喝,是专门指喝酒。
Exactly Rob.
没错,罗伯。
But, what about staying dry? It's nothing to do with the weather?
那stay dry呢?这和天气没什么关系吧。
No that's true. The adjective dry here means no alcohol.
没错。形容词dry在这里是指无酒的。
And I, Rob, am currently having a dry January.
罗伯,我现在一月都在禁酒。
Ah yes, your New Year's resolution is to give up alcohol for one month. Any reason?
你的新年决心是戒酒一个月吧。有什么原因吗?
Yes. I'm doing it in order to improve my health and save some money.
我这么做是为了改善身体,外加省点钱。
And a resolution, by the way, is a promise to yourself to do something or not to do something.
决心是指向自己许诺做某事或不做某事。
Well they seem like good reasons.
这似乎是不错的理由。
And for now, we must keep up our resolution to always start the programme with a question, so are you ready for it, Catherine?
现在,我们必须坚持决心,以提问开始我们的节目,所以你准备好了吗,凯瑟琳?
I am, crack on, Rob!
我准备好了,继续吧,罗伯!
OK, according to data from the World Health Organisation in 2015, which country consumed the most alcohol per person?
根据2015年世界卫生组织的数据,哪个国家人均酒精消耗量最大?
Was it… a) Australia b) Finland or c) The Czech Republic?
a) 澳大利亚, b) 芬兰,还是c) 捷克共和国?
So well they're sound quite likely, but I did visit Prague once and I had a lovely time, so I'm going to say c) the Czech Republic.
它们听起来都很像,但我之前曾去过布拉格,在那度过不错的时光,所以我想选捷克共和国。
OK, well as always, we'll find out the answer later on.
和以往一样,我们之后再公布答案。
But let's continue our discussion about drinking – or informally known as boozing – and trying to give it up.
我们继续谈论关于喝酒的问题,也可以说豪饮,以及讨论尝试戒酒的话题。
We all know that too much drinking can be bad for us
我们都知道喝太多酒对我们不好,
and that's why you Catherine, have decided to quit – but only for a month.
这也是为什么凯瑟琳你决定戒酒的原因,不过只戒一个月。
Yes just a month but it's a start and I might continue into February.
恩,只戒一个月,但这只是一个开始,我可能二月份会继续戒酒。
But I'm seeing the benefits already.
但我已经看到一些效果了。
I've managed to shed some weight – most of which I actually put on over Christmas!
我已经成功减轻体重了,大多都是因为圣诞节期间吃胖的。
I can see. So to shed here simply means lose.
我可以看出来。Shed在这里是减去的意思。
And I bet your sobriety is helping you sleep better.
我敢打赌,清醒可以让你睡得更好。
Sobriety, by the way, means the state of not being drunk.
顺便说一下,清醒是指并未喝醉的状态。
It is actually. And I'm not alone:
确实。而且并非我如此。
A study of 857 British adults by Dr Richard de Visser from the University of Sussex found that after going for a month without alcohol,
苏塞克斯大学理查德教授对857名英国成年人的一项研究显示,一个月不碰酒,
62% of the people in the study said they had better sleep.
百分之六十二的被调查者表示他们的睡眠更好了。
So Rob, does that tempt you to become teetotal and stop drinking?
所以,罗伯,这能吸引你滴酒不沾,戒酒吗?
Not me Catherine.
我不会,凯瑟琳。
I need a drink to help me relax and be more sociable – you know how shy I am!
我需要喝酒让自己放松,更加善于社交,你知道我多害羞的!
Yes of course Rob! Well, maybe you should listen to Catherine Gray.
我当然知道。也许你应当听听凯瑟琳·格瑞怎么说。
Now she's the author of a book called The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober,
她是《清醒带来的不可思议的愉悦》一书的作者,
which she wrote after she discovered the negative effects of going to too many work-related parties where she was just drinking too much.
在她发现在工作相关的聚会上喝太多酒的负面影响后,她写下了这本书。
Here she is speaking on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme…
她做客BBC广播4台女性时刻节目。
I had a lot of social anxiety and when I quit I had to deal with that.
我有社交焦虑,当我戒酒后我必须要处理好这个问题。
I think I used drinking as a crutch, a confidence crutch
过去我以喝酒为支撑,一种信心支撑,
- it eased the way to go to big glittering parties and stuff like that and when I quit I had to learn real confidence in a way.
它让参加群星闪耀的聚会变得容易,当我戒酒后,我必须学会真正的自信。
So Catherine worked in the magazine business which involved going to lots of boozy parties.
所以凯瑟琳的工作和杂志相关,涉及参加很多酒宴。
Drinking, she says, helped her deal with a nervous and worried feeling that she had when she met new people - she called it social anxiety.
她说,喝酒可以帮助她缓解与他人初见时的紧张和担忧的心情,她称之为社交焦虑。
Yes, and she used drinking as a crutch.
没错,她将喝酒视为一种支撑。
A crutch here is something you depend on for support – and sometimes you rely on it too much.
这里crutch是指你依靠的,给你支撑的东西。有时,你太依赖它了。
Yes and eventually she decided to abstain from drinking
是的,最终她决定戒酒。
– in other words stop doing something that is enjoyable but bad for you – and she feels much better for it.
换句话说就是戒掉让你享受但不利于你的东西,戒酒后她感觉好多了。
So come on Rob, haven't you got the willpower to just quit drinking for just 30 days?
罗伯,你还没有获取意志力,去戒酒30天吗?
Well according to Catherine Gray, that wouldn't be long enough…
据格瑞说,这还远远不够。
Experts say that it takes 66 days for a new habit to bed in, so I would always recommend trying it for 90 days.
专家表示新习惯的养成需要66天,但我总是推荐尝试90天。
30 days is the hard bit before you get to the rewards.
在你尝到甜头前,30天很难坚持。
Because after 66 days it starts getting a lot easier and you start feeling better in yourself.
因为66天之后,一切都会变得容易,你自身也会感觉越来越好。
Right, so it takes 66 days for doing a regular activity - a habit - to bed in.
没错,一个规律性的行为,即习惯的养成需要66天。
And bed in means to become normal and start working properly.
bed in(磨合)是指变得正常,开始合理运作。
Now, earlier I asked you, according to data from the World Health Organisation in 2015, which country consumed the most alcohol per person?
就像我之前问你的,根据2015年世界卫生组织的数据,哪个国家人均酒精消耗量最大?
Was it… a) Australia b) Finland c) The Czech Republic?
a) 澳大利亚, b) 芬兰,还是c) 捷克共和国?
And I said the Czech Republic. Was I right?
我选的捷克共和国。我答对了吗?
You were, Catherine. Spot on, well done.
你答对了,凯瑟琳!完全正确,做得好!
Apparently, 14.1 litres of pure alcohol is consumed per person each year.
显然,每年每个人要消耗14.1升纯酒精。
Well like I said, they do make good beer in the Czech Republic – but people, be careful, only drink it in moderation.
就像我说过的,捷克共和国确实擅长酿酒,但人们要注意,饮酒要适量。
Now Rob, shall we take a look at the vocabulary we've mentioned today?
罗伯,我们看一看今天提到的单词吧?
Indeed. The first word we had was resolution – that's a promise to yourself to do or not do something.
好的。第一个单词提到决心,是指向自己承诺做某事或不做某事。
Catherine's New Year's resolution was to give up drinking alcohol for a whole month.
凯瑟琳的新年决心是戒酒整整一个月。
Yes, and I'm still doing it Rob – the plan is to shed a few kilos and get fit.
没错,我还在戒酒,这个计划是为了减轻体重,保持健康。
So for example, Rob shed lots of weight when he went on a cake-free diet!
例如,罗伯不吃蛋糕后,减了很多斤。
Really? I'd never give up cake Catherine, but I could be tempted to give up booze as I know sobriety is good for my health
真的吗?我从来没有戒过蛋糕,但在我知道清醒对健康有益后,我有兴趣戒酒了。
– that's the noun word to mean the state of not being drunk.
sobriety(清醒)是一个名词,是指不喝酒的状态。
Now our next word was abstain.
下一个单词是abstain。
And that means not do something that is enjoyable but bad for you.
这是指放弃做让你享受但对你不益的事。
So Rob needs to abstain from eating cakes if he wants to wear his skinny jeans.
所以如果罗伯想要穿上他的紧身牛仔裤,他需要克制吃蛋糕。
Are you dropping a hint there, Catherine?
你这是暗示什么吗,凯瑟琳?
Now, our final word is actually two words – bed in.
最后我们提到的实际上是两个单词,bed in (磨合)。
It means to become normal and start working properly.
这是指变得正常,开始正常运作。
It took a while for the new computer system to bed in but now it's working perfectly.
新的电脑系统的磨合花了一些时间,但现在它运行地很好。
That's brilliant because now we can go online and find more BBC Learning English programmes at bbclearningenglish.com.
这很棒,因为现在我们可以上网,在bbclearningenglish.com上找到更多的BBC英语学习栏目。
That's all for today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you enjoyed it. Bye for now.
希望你们喜欢。再见。
Bye.
再见。