搔首弄姿
Peacocking
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》,我是菲菲……
…and me, Rob.
我是罗伯。
Hey, Feifei. I have a little challenge for you.
嘿,菲菲,我为你准备了一个小挑战。
Oh good, I like a challenge.
太好了,我喜欢挑战。
Right. Well. Can you name a bird that has bright feathers?
好的。你能说出一种有着鲜艳羽毛的鸟吗?
A parrot?
鹦鹉?
Nope .
不是。
It has big colourful feathers that it sticks up when it's showing off and trying to attract a mate.
它有五颜六色的大羽毛,当它搔首弄姿,试图吸引配偶时,羽毛就会展开。
Got it!
知道了!
A peacock.
孔雀。
Why are you asking?
你问这个干什么?
Well, it's a clue for this authentic English phrase.
好吧,这是一个地道英语短语的线索。
Can you think of an expression which describes someone showing off to attract attention?
你能想出一个描述某人搔首弄姿以吸引注意力的表达吗?
Yes, Rob. It's 'peacocking'. I often use it to describe you!
能,罗伯。它是“搔首弄姿”。我经常用它来形容你!
But, Rob, peacocking never impresses me!
但是,罗伯,搔首弄姿从来没给我留下深刻印象!
Well, Feifei, you are hard to impress,
好吧,菲菲,很难给你留下深刻印象,
but maybe these examples of 'peacocking' will…
但或许这些关于“搔首弄姿”的例子会给你留下深刻印象……
Why does Dev have to wear that bright shirt and walk around the office talking and laughing loudly?
为什么戴夫要穿着那件鲜艳的衬衫,在办公室里走来走去,大声说笑?
It's obvious that he's peacocking, but to me, he’s just annoying.
很明显,他在搔首弄姿,但对我来说,他只是在让人厌烦。
When we first met, I was impressed by John’s flashy clothes and constant jokes.
我和约翰第一次见面时,他浮华的衣服和不停说笑给我留下了深刻的印象。
But he was obviously peacocking because now he just wears jeans and never says anything funny!
但他显然是在搔首弄姿,因为现在他只穿牛仔裤,从来不说任何有趣的事。
I thought my peacocking skills would work wonders on our blind date.
我以为我搔首弄姿的本领会在相亲中产生奇效。
Unfortunately, she told me I was just showing off,
不幸的是,她告诉我,我只是在搔首弄姿,
and I just needed to be myself.
我只需要做自己就好。
I don't think I'll be seeing her again.
我觉得我们不会再见面了。
You're listening to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
您正在收听的是BBC教学英语的《地道英语》节目。
We're talking about 'peacocking',
我们正在谈论的是“搔首弄姿”,
which describes someone showing off to attract attention and impress people.
那指的是某人为了吸引注意力和给别人留下深刻印象而吹嘘卖弄。
Originally, it described an extreme and over-the-top way a man might dress and the arrogant way he might behave to attract a woman.
最初,它描述的是男性为了吸引女性而可能采取的极端夸张穿着方式及傲慢行为。
Yes, I can see why you would have been good at that, Rob!
是的,我能明白你为什么会擅长这个了,罗伯!
Well, women do it now too, Feifei.
菲菲,现在女性也这么做。
For example by bragging on Instagram about the amazing things they've done.
比如在Instagram上吹嘘她们做过的令人惊讶的事情。
OK, it seems like anyone can be guilty of peacocking these days.
好吧,现在似乎每个人都有吹嘘卖弄的时候。
Well, you'd never find me peacocking, Feifei.
菲菲,你永远不会发现我在搔首弄姿。
I'm not the sort of person to show off,
我不是那种爱搔首弄姿的人,
I hate to attract attention.
我讨厌引人注意。
What do you mean, Rob?!
你什么意思,罗伯?!
You're always the centre of attention.
你一直是人们关注的焦点。
Thanks!
谢谢!
Bye!
拜!
Bye bye!
拜拜!