连环退货买家
Serial returner
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》节目,我是菲菲……
…and me, Neil.
……我是尼尔。
Nice coat you were wearing this morning, by the way.
顺便说一下,你今天早上穿的外套很漂亮。
Thanks!
谢谢!
In this programme we have an expression which describes a certain kind of shopper who likes to return items they've bought and get their money back.
本期节目中,我们要来介绍一个表达,它描述了一种特定的购物者,这种购物者喜欢退货,然后收到退款。
What's wrong with that?
这有什么问题吗?
Nothing if there's a problem with the items,
如果商品有问题的话,那这就没什么问题。
but shops,,particularly online retailers, say they're losing lots of money because people are regularly returning items – possibly even after they're used them.
但很多商店,尤其是在线零售商,表示他们损失了很多钱,因为人们经常退货——甚至可能是在他们被使用之后。
They're called 'serial returners'.
他们被称为“连环退货买家”。
And this isn't about breakfast cornflakes, is it?
这和早餐的玉米片无关,对吧?
No, Neil.
没关系,尼尔。
The 'serial' in this expression means 'repeat'.
这个表达中的“serial”意思是‘重复’。
You might have heard the expression a 'TV serial' – it means there are many episodes.
你可能听说过“电视连续剧”这个词,意思是有很多集。
And that was a nice new coat you had on yesterday, by the way, Feifei.
你昨天穿的外套很漂亮,顺便说一下,菲菲。
Thanks.
谢谢。
Very different from the one you were wearing the day before that… and the day before that.
与……前天你穿的那件很不一样,前天……。
What are you suggesting, Neil?
你在说什么,尼尔?
Nothing, nothing… shall we hear some examples of our expression – 'serial returner'?
没有,没有…我们应该听听有关表达的一些例子吗——“serial returner”?
Oh no, this customer has sent back an order for the fifth time this month.
哦,不,这个顾客这个月已经第五次退回订单了。
If we don't block these serial returners, we're going to go out of business!
如果我们不阻止这些连环退货的顾客,我们就要破产了!
I buy about £400 worth of clothes every month.
我每月买大约400英镑的衣服。
No way! You must be rich.
不可能!那你一定很有钱。
Not really. I return about £200 worth.
不是的。我还会退回去大约200英镑。
I'm one of those serial returners.
我是那些连环退货买家之一。
And in business news, online clothes shops are introducing new measures to make it harder for so-called serial returners to get refunds on their orders.
在商业新闻中,网上服装店正在推出新的措施,以使所谓的连环退货者更难拿到订单退款。
You're listening to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》节目。
In this programme, we're looking at the expression 'serial returner'.
本期节目中,我们正在学习“serial returner”这个短语。
It's used to talk about people who return lots of items they've bought – usually online.
它常用来谈论那些把自己买过的很多东西退货的人——通常是在网上。
So, as I was saying, you've had a nice new coat on every day for the last… well, month.
所以,就像我说的,上个……月,你每天都穿一件漂亮的新外套。
Did you win the lottery?
你中彩票了吗?
No, there is a perfectly innocent explanation.
不,有一个完全无辜的解释。
Yes – you're a serial returner, aren't you?
是的——你是个连环退货买家,是不是?
Absolutely not!
绝对不是!
I just knew we were going to make this programme on the expression 'serial returner' and thought I needed to do a little… research.
我只是知道我们要学习“serial returner”这个表达,所以我想我需要做一个小小的……研究。
Ha! It's very important to do proper research, I agree.
哈!我同意,做正确的研究是非常重要的。
Bye!
再见!
Now,which one's your favourite?
话说,你最喜欢哪个?
The pea-green one with the furry collars.
豌豆绿的那个,衣领毛茸茸的。
Are you going to keep it?
你要留着吗?
Nah – too expensive!
不——太贵了!