在所难免,理所当然
It comes with the territory
Hello, I'm Neil…
大家好,我是尼尔……
… and I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
……我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
Do you know someone asked me for an autograph the other day?
你知不知道前几天有人问我要签名?
Your autograph!
你的签名!
Yes, they thought I was someone famous –
对啊,他们觉得我是名人,
which of course, I'm not.
可当然,我并不是啦。
Well you are sort of famous –
你也算是名人吧——
being a presenter of The English We Speak.
作为地道英语节目的一个主持人。
Oh yeah!
噢是的!
Maybe I am.
我可能是吧。
People want to take a selfie with me, buying me presents,
人们想和我自拍,给我买礼物,
me at the Oscars winning awards, fans everywhere, cameras flashing…
我获了奥斯卡奖,到处都是粉丝,还有照相机的闪光灯……
Neil, Neil wake up –
尼尔,醒醒。
I think he's daydreaming.
我觉得他在做白日梦。
Don't get carried away.
不要得意忘形。
You know if you were famous, you'd get lots of public attention –
你知道的,如果你很有名,你是会得到许多公众关注的,
it comes with the territory.
这是理所当然的。
You're right Feifei –
你说得对菲菲,
the paparazzi would be following me everywhere –
我去哪儿都有狗仔队跟着,
I wouldn't like that –
我可不喜欢那样,
but you used a good phrase there – it comes with the territory.
不过你用了一个很棒的表达方式——“理所当然”。
Yes.
对。
When something comes or goes with the territory it means it's something that is expected as part of the position or situation.
当某件事情发生或者进行地“理所当然”的时候,就是说某件事是由某种情况所引起的,是可预见的。
Let's hear some examples…
让我们听几个例子吧……
The job involves a lot of travelling,
这份工作会常常旅行,
but I guess that comes with the territory.
不过我想这也是在所难免的。
If you're gonna play rugby, you're gonna get hurt –
如果你要玩橄榄球的话,你就会受伤,
injuries go with the territory!
受伤是在所难免的。
So the expression it comes with the territory means something is to be expected as part of a certain situation.
所以“在所难免”这个表达方式的意思是说,某件事的发生是由一个特定的情况所引起的。
Let's face it Neil, perhaps it's a good thing that we're not famous.
让我们面对现实吧尼尔,我们不是名人,这可能是件好事。
I guess so.
我觉得也许是吧。
I'll just carry on teaching English and making tea for everyone.
我还是继续教英语,还有为大家泡茶吧。
Well in our job, tea making comes with the territory.
在我们的工作中,泡茶是在所难免的啦。
You're right –
对,
I think I'll go back to daydreaming.
我想我要回去做白日梦了。
Bye.
再见。
Bye.
再见。