童话里的世界
What's in a fairy tale?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Sophie…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是苏菲。
And I'm Neil. So, Sophie I watched Snow White and the Huntsman on TV last night.
我是尼尔。苏菲,我昨晚在电视上看《白雪公主与猎人》了。
Oh, you mean the modern retelling of the story Snow White?
你说的是那部由白雪公主改编的现代电影吗?
Did you enjoy it, Neil?
你喜欢看吗?
It was OK. But the seven dwarves were no fun.
还不错。但七个小矮人不好玩。
I prefer the original Disney cartoon version.
我更喜欢迪斯尼原创卡通版本。
Don't be silly, Neil.
别傻了,尼尔。
Walt Disney didn't invent the story.
沃特迪斯尼不是这个故事的原创。
The movie you watched is a remake, a film that has been made again, but the fairy tale is very old.
你看的那个是翻拍电影,也就是重新拍摄的电影,但是这个童话故事很古老了。
Well, that may be true, but I still prefer the Disney version with funny dwarves.
好吧,也许你说得对,但我还是更喜欢迪斯尼版本,里面的小矮人都很有趣。
In the new version, even the names of the dwarves are different and, you know, serious looking.
新版本中,小矮人的名字都不一样了,而且看上去很严肃。
But this new version is for young adults – it's a different genre – or style – of film.
但是这个新版本是为年轻人拍摄的,电影类型不同,风格不同。
Names like Sneezy, Dopey, Happy and Grumpy are too childish.
像喷嚏精、糊涂蛋、开心果、暴躁鬼这种名词都太幼稚了。
Hmm. What's wrong with childish?
幼稚怎么了?
It's right up your street, isn't it Neil?
更合你的口味,是吗?
Too right.
没错!
Anyway, fairy tales are the subject of today's show, and I have a question for you:
总之,今天节目的主题是童话故事,我有一个问题要问你:
which movie star played the role of the evil fairy in Maleficent, a 2014 film based on the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty?
在2014年上映,改编自童话故事睡美人的电影《沉睡魔咒》中,哪位电影明星饰演了邪恶仙女?
Was it…a) Cate Blanchett?
a) 凯特布兰切特?
b) Angelina Jolie?
b)安吉丽娜朱莉?
Or c) Meryl Streep?
还是 c) 梅丽尔斯特里普?
Well, I'll go for a) Cate Blanchett.
我选a) 凯特布兰切特。
She often plays evil characters.
她经常饰演反面角色。
I can't forget her in the 2008 movie Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
我一直忘不了她在2008年的电影《印地安纳琼斯:水晶骷髅王国》中塑造的角色。
Well, we'll find out if you chose the right move star later on in the programme.
好吧,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
But to return to the idea of childish fairy stories,
回到幼稚的童话故事上来,
let's listen to Diane Purkiss, a children's author, talking about how originally fairy tales were intended for an adult audience.
我们听听儿童作家Diane Purkiss讲述原本童话故事的目标人群是成年观众。
Interestingly there has been a bit of a move towards seeing fairy tales as an adult, or at any rate a young adult – a dark sort of genre.
有趣的是,现在出现一种趋势,很多电影改编自童话,以成年人作为目标群体,或至少是针对年轻人,呈现一种黑暗题材。
And that's natural because actually in the past fairy tales were told by adults to adults in William Shakespeare's time.
这很正常,因为在莎士比亚时期,童话故事是由成年人讲述给成年人的。
It's only in the Victorian era that they become moral children's tales
直到维多利亚时期,它们变成儿童故事,
and it looks like we're going back to the inception of fairy stories now with a more adult take on them.
现在看起来我们回归了童话的最初,使之更加成人化。
Diane Purkiss. So these Hollywood remakes aimed at the teen market are actually returning fairy tales to an adult audience.
上述是Diane Purkiss的讲述。所以好莱坞翻拍电影瞄准成年人市场实际上是将童话故事回归成年人。
That's right, Neil.
没错。
And dark here means scary or frightening.
这里的黑暗是指恐怖或惊悚。
The Victorians toned down this dark content – or made it less forceful.
维多利亚时期人们缓和了其中的惊悚部分,减少了冲击力。
They also introduced a moral – or message about what's right and wrong – to the tales.
同时还将是非黑白的道德因素引入故事。
And inception means the beginning.
最初是指最开始。
So fairy tales began as a dark genre.
所以童话故事最初是黑暗风格。
Can you give us some examples of dark stories written by the brothers Grimm, Neil?
你还能举出格林童话中的黑暗故事吗?
Well… I have a list here. Let's see.
我这儿有个列表。我们来看看。
In The Frog Prince the princess doesn't kiss the frog, she throws it…she throws it against the wall! Hmm, yes.
在《青蛙王子》中,公主没有亲吻青蛙,而是把青蛙扔了,扔到了墙上。恩,就是这样。
Hmm. I prefer the kiss version.
恩,我更喜欢亲吻那个版本。
And in Little Red Riding Hood don't believe that version where the wolf shuts granny in a cupboard.
还有不要相信大灰狼把奶奶关进壁橱那个版本的《小红帽》。
In the real version he gobbles her up and then eats Red Riding Hood for dessert.
真正的版本里讲大灰狼狼吞虎咽吃掉了奶奶,之后也把小红帽当点心吃了。
Charming. And to gobble something up means to eat it very fast.
真厉害。狼吞虎咽是指吃得非常快。
OK, that's enough. Let's move on.
好了,这就足够了。我们继续说。
Did you know that some of the stories
真厉害。狼吞虎咽是指吃得非常快。好了,这就足够了。我们继续说。
– like Beauty and the Beast, Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, and Snow White go back much further than the earliest written stories
如《美女与野兽》、《小红帽》、《灰姑娘》和《白雪公主》的起源早于其有记载的历史,
– even the ones in Latin and Greek?
甚至早于用拉丁文和希腊文记录的版本。
No, I didn't.
这个我不知道。
To be honest, Sophie, I thought Walt Disney had written them.
老实说,我之前以为是沃特迪斯尼创作了这些童话。
Oh Neil… well research suggests that some fairy tales date back to well before the brothers Grimm and even Shakespeare.
天啊,尼尔。研究显示一些童话故事可以追溯到格林兄弟甚至莎士比亚之前。
Let's hear more from Dr Jamie Tehrani, anthropologist at Durham University in the UK.
我们听听英国杜伦大学人类学者Jamie Tehrani教授的采访。
So these fairy tales that we've looked at
我们看到的一些童话故事,
– we've been able to trace back, really, thousands of years
我们其实可以追溯到几千年前,
– probably sort of 4-6,000 years is the origin of many famous European folk tales, stories such as Beauty and the Beast.
像许多很有名的欧洲民间故事,例如《美女和野兽》,可以追溯到四至六千年前。
What, 6,000 years?!
什么?六千年前?
Yep, going right back to the Bronze Age.
没错,可以直接追溯至铜器时代。
Good heavens!
我的天啊!
We've been able to trace the transmission across generations of these stories much further back than is generally recognized.
我们追溯这些代代相传的故事起源,发现远远早于之前人们的认识。
But Sophie – if there's no written evidence of the stories from 6,000 years ago
但是苏菲,如果六千年前还没有文字记载的证据,
how does Dr Tehrani, who we've just heard from, know people were telling them?
那刚才讲话的Jamie Tehrani博士是如何得知人们在当时讲述了这些故事呢?
Well, dating languages isn't something I'm familiar with
追溯语言起源这可不是我的强项,
– I think it's a bit like looking at a few dinosaur bones and trying to reconstruct what dinosaurs looked like.
我觉得有可能像看着恐龙的骨头还原恐龙的样子吧。
But here you're trying to reconstruct stories without any actual bits.
但是我们如今想要再现的是没有任何实际依据的故事。
It must have been hard work for the researchers.
这对研究者来说是一项艰难的研究吧。
Indeed. Well, I think it's time to hear the quiz question again, Sophie.
没错。我觉得是时候公布问题的答案了吧。
OK, I asked: Which movie star played the role of the evil fairy in Maleficent, a film based on the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty?
好的,我之前问:在改编自童话故事睡美人的电影《沉睡魔咒》中,哪位电影明星饰演了邪恶仙女?
Was it… a) Cate Blanchett? b) Angelina Jolie? Or c) Meryl Streep?
a) 凯特布兰切特?b)安吉丽娜朱莉?还是 c) 梅丽尔斯特里普?
I said Cate Blanchett.
我选的是a) 凯特布兰切特。
And you were wrong.
你答错了。
Angelina Jolie played the main character in the film Maleficent.
安吉丽娜朱莉是《沉睡魔咒》的主演。
Cate Blanchett played the elf queen Galadriel in Lord of the Rings.
凯特布兰切特在《魔戒》中饰演精灵女王Galadriel。
And Meryl Streep played a blue-haired witch in the 2014 film Into the Woods.
梅里尔斯特里普在2014年的电影《魔法黑森林》中饰演蓝头发的女巫。
Now, can we hear those words again?
我们现在再听一遍今天的单词吧?
OK!
好的!
remake
翻拍
genre
类型
dark
黑暗的
toned down
缓和
moral
道德的
inception
起初
gobble up
狼吞虎咽
Well, that's the end of today's spellbinding 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Don't forget to join us again soon!
别忘了下期节目再见!
Bye.
再见!