多面手
Jack-of-all-trades
Hello I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
大家好,我是菲菲。欢迎收听地道英语。
And hello, I'm Neil.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Today Feifei, I'm going to teach you a piece of authentic English that describes me.
菲菲,今天我要教给你一句描述我的地道英语。
Any guesses what it might be?
猜猜可能是哪句?
Hmmm... 'Lazy-bones'?
嗯……“懒骨头”?
Ha!
哈!
No, one that describes my many talents.
不,描述我有许多才能的那个。
Err… 'Full of yourself'?
呃……“自恋”?
No Feifei – think about my skills –
不是的菲菲,想想我的各种技能,
all the things I do in the office, for example.
比如我在办公室做的所有事情。
Sorry Neil – I have no idea.
抱歉尼尔,我不知道。
It's jack-of-all-trades.
是“多面手”啊。
But your name's not Jack!
但你的名字不是杰克呀!
It doesn't have to be for this phrase.
用到这个短语的时候,我不一定要叫杰克。
A jack-of-all-trades is someone who can do many kinds of jobs –
“多面手”是说一个人可以做许多种工作,
you could say they're multi-skilled.
你可以说他们有许多技能。
Ok.
好的。
Yes, I know this phrase but it just doesn't describe you!
对,我知道这个习语,但它可不是用来描述你的!
Look, let me tell you what I can do,
来,让我告诉你我都会做什么,
while we hear some more examples.
我们再来听几个例子,
OK?!
好吧?!
If you need any work doing to your house, get my Dad round –
如果你的房子有什么需要收拾的,就让我爸来,
he's a jack-of-all-trades!
他是个多面手。
Jane's got a great business –
简的生意很棒,
she runs a cafe where she makes and sells the cakes,
她经营着一家咖啡馆,她制作并且销售蛋糕,
she does the marketing and her own accounting –
她自己做市场营销,自己管账——
she really is a jack-of-all-trades.
她可真是一个多面手呀。
So that's jack-of-all-trades – a phrase that describes someone – a man or a woman –
所以“多面手”这个短语可以指男性或者女性,
who can do many different types of work.
指可以做许多不同类型工作的人。
We could call them an all-rounder.
我们也可以叫他们“万事通”。
But sorry Neil – making the tea and presenting The English We Speak does not make you a jack-of-all-trades.
但是抱歉啊尼尔,泡茶、做地道英语节目并不能使你成为一个“多面手”。
So you think I am a jack-of-some-trades?
所以你觉得我是一个只会一些技能的人?
Don't forget I wrote this script, I can edit, I can make coffee as well as tea.
别忘了,我还写稿子,还会编辑,我不仅会泡茶也会泡咖啡啊。
But some people say 'jack-of-all-trades, master of none' –
但也有人说“多面手,一无所长”,
which means you can do many things but you're not an expert in any of them!
它的意思就是你能做许多事情,但一样也不精通!
A real jack-of-all-trades can do many different jobs – all to a good standard.
一个真正的多面手能做许多不同的工作,并且都能做得很好。
Well…
嗯……
Right, well I'm off.
对了,我走了。
Where are you going?
你去哪里啊?
To find this guy Jack – to see if he really exists.
去找找这个杰克,看看他是不是真的存在。
Oh dear.
天啊。
Bye!
再见!
Bye.
再见。