一言不发
Cat got your tongue?
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak,
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语,
I'm Rob, and joining me is Feifei.
我是罗布,今天和我一起的是菲菲。
Hello.
大家好。
Bless you!
愿上帝保佑你!
Are you ok?
你还好吧?
Have you got a cold?
感冒了吗?
No, not a cold.
不,不是感冒。
Something's making me sneeze.
有什么东西让我打喷嚏了。
Errr... Rob, is that a cat on your lap?!
呃…罗布,你膝盖上那是一只猫吗?!
Yes.
是的。
Meet Tiddles.
来见见小不点儿吧。
I decided to bring him to the office because he gets lonely at home on his own…
他自己在家太孤单了,所以我决定带他来办公室…
don't you Tiddley-widdly?
是不是呀小不点儿?
It's a good idea, don't you think?
这可是个好主意,你觉得呢?
Feifei?
菲菲?
You've gone all quiet –
你太安静了,
you've usually got something to say.
你平时总会说些什么的啊,
Feifei?
菲菲?
Can you speak?
你还能说话吗?
Cat got your tongue?
猫咪把你的舌头借走了吗?
No!
不!
Your cat has not got my tongue – or anything else –
你的猫没有借走我的舌头,也没有借走别的什么东西,
I'm allergic to cats.
我对猫过敏。
Oh dear Feifei -
噢亲爱的菲菲,
but saying 'cat got your tongue?' means 'you're very quiet' or 'you've got nothing to say'.
但是说“猫把你的舌头借走了吗”意思是“你太安静了”或“你一言不发”。
Really?!
是吗?
Well let's hear some examples of this phrase…
让我们来听听关于这个短语的几个例子吧…
What's the matter?
怎么了?
Cat got your tongue?
你怎么一言不发?
I did say we'd use up all our money on the car!
我刚才说我们车上的钱都要用完了!
Has the cat got your tongue?
你怎么一句话都不说?
You usually go on about how amazing your boyfriend is.
你通常都会唠叨你的男朋友有多棒啊。
We split up.
我们分手了。
So 'cat got your tongue?' is an informal question
所以说“猫把你的舌头借走了吗?”是一种非正式的问题形式,
you might say to someone who isn't saying much.
你可以对那些话不多的人说这句话。
Oh I get it now.
噢我现在明白啦。
You weren't saying much because you were too busy sneezing!
你忙着打喷嚏,所以说不了太多话!
No Rob.
不是的罗布。
I was angry because you know I am allergic to cats –
我很生气,因为你知道我对猫过敏,
don't you remember me saying that I can't be in the same room as one?
你不记得我说过我不能和猫待在同一个屋子里吗?
Rob?
罗布?
Rob!
罗布!
What's wrong?
你怎么了?
Cat got your tongue now?
你现在哑口无言了吗?
It appears Tiddles needed the toilet…
看来小不点儿需要去厕所啊…
but it's too late now.
但是现在已经晚了。
I'm all wet!
我身上全湿了!
Oh Rob.
噢罗布。
You stink!
你好臭啊!
I'm off.
我走了。
Bye.
再见。