咖啡的香味
The smell of coffee
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Catherine.
我是凯瑟琳。
Catherine, I'm going to start this programme with a quick test, just for you.
凯瑟琳,我将以一个只为你准备的快速测试开始这个节目。
Ooo, I love tests!
噢,我喜欢测试!
Complete this phrase: Wake up and smell the...
补全这个词组:醒来闻到……
Coffee, coffee, Neil! It's coffee.
咖啡,咖啡,尼尔!咖啡的香味。
I have to say, I love coffee, it's great.
我不得不说,我超爱咖啡,它太棒了。
Yeah, OK, so do you drink much?
好的,所以你喝咖啡很多吗?
Well, just a couple of cups, you know.
好吧,你知道也就是几杯而已。
Every day?
每天?
No, no, every hour!
不,不,每小时。
I love coffee, don't you like coffee, Neil?
我超爱咖啡,你不喜欢咖啡吗,尼尔?
I do, maybe not as much as you!
我喜欢咖啡,但或许没你那么喜欢!
What's the best thing about it?
它最棒的地方是什么?
It's the smell. It's got to be the smell.
是它的香味。绝对是它的香味。
You know, when you open the packet, it's great, isn't it?
当你打开包装时,香味棒极了,不是吗?
Yes, but it never quite tastes as good as it smells, does it?
是的,但是它尝起来从来不像它闻起来那样好,不是吗?
Well, no, not really. It's always a little disappointing.
好吧,是的,真的没有闻起来好。总是有点令人失望。
I live in hope, another cup, I think it will be better.
我满怀希望,觉得下一杯会好点。
I might change brands actually, try a different one.
我事实上或许会换个牌子,尝试一种不同的品牌。
OK, you've had quite a lot of coffee today, haven't you!
好吧,你今天已经喝了很多咖啡了,难道不是吗!
Just the usual six cups.
只是像平常一样喝了六杯。
Well, our topic today is the smell of coffee and coffee is also the subject of today's question.
好的,我们今天的主题是咖啡的香味,而且咖啡同样是今天问题的主题。
The world's biggest producer of coffee is...
世界上最大咖啡生产国是……
Brazil! Brazil!
巴西!巴西!
Yes, yes, but that's not the question.
是的,但那不是我要问的问题。
The question is, Brazil is the biggest coffee producer, which is the second largest coffee producing country?
问题是,巴西是最大的咖啡生产国,哪个是第二大咖啡生产国呢?
Is it: a: Colombia b: Vietnam or c: Ethiopia?
是a:哥伦比亚 b:越南 c:埃塞俄比亚?
Right, so it's not Brazil, but I bet it's another South American country.
好吧,所以不是巴西,但是我打赌是另一个南美国家。
So I'm going to go for Columbia. Columbia, is that right?
所以我会选哥伦比亚。哥伦比亚,对吗?
OK, We'll have the answer later in the programme by which time, maybe the caffeine will have left your body Catherine.
好的,我们稍后将会在节目中揭晓答案,到那时或许咖啡因会残留在你的身体里,凯瑟琳。
Tim Hayward is a coffee shop owner.
蒂姆•海沃德是一个咖啡店店主。
He appeared in the BBC Radio 4 programme The Kitchen Cabinet.
他做客BBC广播4频道的The Kitchen Cabinet节目。
How important does he say the smell of coffee is?
他说咖啡的味道有多重要?
It's absolutely vital, it's the key thing.
它绝对是至关重要的,它是关键之处。
When you walk in to the coffee shop in the morning and that smell hits you, you're getting physiological responses.
当你早上走进咖啡店时,咖啡的香味扑鼻而来,你会产生生理反应。
So how important is it?
所以它有多重要?
I'm feeling a bit calmer now.
我现在感觉冷静点了。
Tim Hayward says the smell of coffee is vital.
蒂姆•海沃德说咖啡的味道是至关重要的。
That means it's very important, it's perhaps the most important thing.
那指的是它非常重要,它或许是最重要的事物。
And he backs this up by saying that it's the key thing.
而且他通过说那是关键之处来支持这种说法。
Something that's key is essential, it's really important.
某物是关键的就是必不可少的,是真的很重要的。
And he says that when you experience the smell, when the smell hits you, you get a physiological response.
而且他说当你感受到咖啡香味的时候,当香味扑鼻而来的时候,你会产生生理反应。
This phrase means your body has a reaction to the smell of coffee.
这个词组指的是你的身体对咖啡的香味有反应。
Perhaps your mouth begins to water in anticipation.
或许你会开始咽口水,屏息以待。
Catherine, when you get a coffee, do you normally have it there or take it away?
凯瑟琳,当你喝咖啡时,你通常是咖啡店喝还是外带?
Well, I usually take it away.
好吧,我通常外带。
Although if I'm feeling really in need of a coffee hit, I might have one there and then get another one and take with me.
即使我感觉自己真的需要咖啡振奋一下,我或许在那喝一杯,然后外带一杯。
Can you describe the container that you are given when you have a coffee to go?
你能描述当你外带一杯咖啡时所给的包装吗?
Yes, it's in a tall paper cup with a lid.
好的,咖啡装在一个带盖的高纸杯里。
And the lid has a hole in it so that I can drink that lovely coffee.
而且盖子上有一个孔以便我能够喝到那杯美味的咖啡。
Don't you think that's a problem?
你不觉得那是一个问题吗?
I mean, we know how important the smell is, so what is the effect of the lid on that experience?
我是说,我们都知道咖啡的香味有多重要,所以盖子对于咖啡的香味有什么影响?
The effect of the lid?
盖子的影响?
Yeah. Well, here's Tim Hayward again, talking about coffee being served with lids.
是的。好的,这里是蒂姆•海沃德再次谈到的,关于供有盖子的咖啡。
What baffles me is that how many of the large coffee chains actually sell a product in a cup that removes the smell.
令我困惑的是有多少家咖啡连锁店实际上卖的是除去香味的咖啡。
So you walk into the coffee shop, you get the smell.
所以当你走进咖啡店,你会闻到咖啡的香味。
But when you actually take the drink out, you are drinking it from something that is designed to deliver the hot liquid directly past your tongue, but stop any smell coming up to your nose.
但是当你真的打包带走咖啡时,你喝的咖啡是直接张嘴喝下的热饮,却让你闻不到任何香味。
That's just weird.
那很怪异。
So what is he describing there?
所以他刚刚描述了什么?
I see, yes, he's talking about the big coffee chains.
我知道,是的,他在谈论大型咖啡连锁店。
A chain is a company that has lots of its stores in towns and cities sometimes around the world.
连锁店是一个在乡镇和城市,有时候在世界上范围内有着许多商店的公司。
I think we can all think of a few well-known coffee chains.
我觉得我们都能想到一些很有名的咖啡连锁店。
He says that by putting a lid on take away cups, you're actually blocking the smell - that smell that is really important to the coffee experience.
他说在外带的咖啡上放一个盖子实际上是在遮住咖啡的香味,那个香味对于咖啡的体验来说真的很重要。
Yes, and he says that he finds that weird, which is a way of saying he finds it unusual, thinks it's strange, odd.
是的,而且他说他发现那很怪异,那是他发现那不寻常,认为那很奇怪的一种说法。
So much so that he says it baffles him.
以至于他说那令他困惑。
If you are baffled by something, you find it confusing, you can't really understand it.
如果某事让你困惑,你会发现它让你疑惑不已,你没法真正理解它。
Here's Tim Hayward again.
再听一遍蒂姆•海沃德所说的。
What baffles me is that how many of the large coffee chains actually sell a product in a cup that removes the smell.
令我困惑的是有多少家咖啡连锁店实际上卖的是除去香味的咖啡。
So you walk into the coffee shop, you get the smell.
所以当你走进咖啡店,你会闻到咖啡的香味。
But when you actually take the drink out, you are drinking it from something that is designed to deliver the hot liquid directly past your tongue, but stop any smell coming up to your nose.
但是当你真的打包带走咖啡时,你喝的咖啡是直接张嘴喝下的热饮,却让你闻不到任何香味。
That's just weird.
那很怪异。
That was coffee shop owner Tim Hayward.
那就是咖啡店店主蒂姆•海沃德所说的。
Right, before we have another cup of this week's vocabulary, let's get the answer to the question.
好的,在我们回顾这周单词,喝下一杯咖啡之前,让我们揭晓问题的答案。
After Brazil, which country produces most coffee?
排在巴西之后,生产咖啡最多的国家是哪个?
Is it: a: Colombia b: Vietnam or c: Ethiopia?
是a:哥伦比亚 b:越南 还是c:埃塞俄比亚?
Catherine, you said?
凯瑟琳,你说是什么?
I said it was a: Colombia.
我说是a:哥伦比亚。
Ah, sorry, no extra coffee for you today!
啊,抱歉,今天没有额外的咖啡给你!
The answer is Vietnam.
答案是越南。
And now on to the vocabulary we looked at.
现在看一下我们今天的单词吧。
Take it away, Catherine.
把咖啡拿开吧,凯瑟琳。
So the first word was 'vital', which is an adjective that means very important.
所以第一个单词是“vital”,它是一个形容词,指的是非常重要的。
And another word with a very similar meaning was 'key', meaning essential.
而且另一个有相似意思的单词是“key”,指的是必不可少的。
Next we had the phrase 'physiological responses'.
接下来我们学了词组“physiological responses”。
Physiological' refers to what our bodies do and 'a response' is a reaction.
“Physiological”指的是我们身体所做的事情,“a response”是一个反应。
So a physiological response is a reaction your body has to something, like the smell of coffee.
所以生理反应是你的身体对某个事物的反应,像是咖啡的香味。
Something that baffles you, confuses you, you don't understand it.
某事让你感到困惑,疑惑,那就是你不理解它。
You might find something that baffles you to be weird.
你或许会发现令人困惑的事情很怪异。
This adjective means unusual or strange.
这个形容词指的是不寻常或者奇怪。
And finally, a chain is a group of shops from the same company with the same name.
最后,连锁店是一群商店,它们源于同一个公司,有着相同的名字。
Well, that is the end of our programe.
好的,那就到了节目的最后了。
For more from us, check out Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and our App and of course the website bbclearningenglish.com.
更多我们的内容,请查看我们的Instagram,Facebook,Twitter,YouTube以及我们的应用软件,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish。
See you soon, goodbye.
下次见,再见。
Bye!
拜!
Fancy a coffee?
想喝杯咖啡吗?
I think you've had too much!
我觉得你已经喝得够多了!