差一点就成功
Close, but no cigar
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak,
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语,
I'm Neil and joining me is Feifei…
我是尼尔,今天和我一起的是菲菲…
Hi there everyone.
嗨,大家好。
In this programme we have an expression
在这期节目里,我们会教一个表达方式,
you can use when someone has almost succeeded – but not quite.
当有人差一点就成功,但没完全成功时可以用到它。
Now Feifei, could you just pass me that lighter, please?
菲菲,现在你能递给我那个打火机吗?
Lighter?
打火机?
What on earth are you doing with that cigar?
你到底要拿那支雪茄来干嘛?
You can't smoke in here!
你不能在这儿吸烟!
It's a clue.
这是一条线索哦。
You have to guess what the expression is.
你得猜一下这个表达方式是什么。
Oh OK.
噢好吧。
Is it 'to smoke like a chimney?'
是“烟瘾大”吗?
Close, but no cigar.
接近了,但是不对哦。
OK, is it 'no smoke without fire'?
好吧,那是“无火不成烟”吗?
Close, but no cigar.
接近了,但是不对哦。
Oh, I give up!
噢,我放弃!
I've told you twice already –
我已经告诉你两次啦——
it's 'close, but no cigar.'
就是“接近了,但是不对。”
If someone almost succeeds – but not quite –
如果有人差一点就成功了,但没有完全成功,
you can say to them 'close, but no cigar.'
你就可以对他们说“差一点就成功”。
Here are some examples.
这儿有几个例子。
How old do you think I am?
你觉得我多大了?
36?
36?
Nope – 35.
不对哦——35。
Close, but no cigar.
差一点就猜对了。
Five of my numbers came up in the lottery.
我的彩票号码里有五个数字都中了。
Close, but no cigar.
差一点就中奖了。
They hit the post in the last second of the game.
他们在比赛的最后一秒击中了门柱。
Close, but no cigar!
差一点就成功了!
So, there we go.
嗯,好了。
If someone almost succeeds, but doesn't quite,
如果有人差一点就成功了,但没有完全成功,
we can say to them 'close, but no cigar.'
我们就可以对他们说“差一点就成功了。”
Right, well you can put that cigar away now we've finished.
对,好啦,现在我们的节目结束了,你可以把这支雪茄扔掉了。
Actually, it's a really good one –
其实,这是一支很好的雪茄——
shame to waste it.
浪费掉真是太可耻了。
Neil!
尼尔!
Uh oh!
呃,噢!