江山易改,本性难移
A leopard can't change its spots
Hello, I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
大家好,我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
Joining me is Rob.
和我一起的是罗布。
Hello everyone.
大家好。
Did you enjoy Jane and Tim's wedding yesterday?
昨天在珍和蒂姆的婚礼上玩得开心吗?
Yes, it was good wasn't it –
嗯,很棒的婚礼,对吧——
especially the party afterwards –
尤其是之后的聚会——
all that dancing and drinking.
跳舞啊,喝酒啊,都很棒。
I did notice!
我注意到了!
I'm really happy for them but I do hope that Jane will help Tim change his bad habits –
我真为他们感到开心,但我确实希望珍能帮蒂姆改改他的坏习惯——
Tim used to be messy, forgetful and always late for everything!
蒂姆过去一向很邋遢,很健忘,还总是迟到!
I don't think he'll change –
我不觉得他会改变——
a leopard doesn't change his spots.
一只豹子无法改变它的豹纹。
A leopard doesn't changes its spots?
一只豹子无法改变它的豹纹?
I think I know that Rob, but what has a leopard got to do with Tim?
我想我知道这个,罗布,但是豹子和蒂姆有什么关系呢?
Quite a lot Feifei.
关系大了,菲菲。
The phrase – a leopard doesn't change its spots OR a leopard can't change its spots –
这句习语——一只豹子无法改变它的豹纹,或者一只豹子不能改变它的豹纹——
means he won't change.
意思是说他不会改变的。
He will always be the same person and his bad habits are here to stay.
他将一直是这样的人,他的坏习惯也不会消失。
Oh I see.
噢,我明白了。
So his bad habits will never change –
所以他的坏习惯将永远不会改变——
they will always stay the same.
这些坏习惯将总是保持不变。
So Rob, you are comparing a leopard, who can never change its spotty appearance,
所以罗布,你是在将一只永远不会改变自己斑点花纹的豹子,
with someone who will never change the way they behave?
与一个永远不会改变自己行为方式的人相比。
You've got it.
你已经弄明白啦。
Let's hear some examples of how people use the phrase…
让我们来听几个例子,看看人们是怎么使用这个习语的吧…
I told Karen she had to study more if she wants to pass her exams
我告诉凯伦,她要是想通过考试的话,就必须多学习,
but a leopard can't change its spots –
但江山易改本性难移——
she won't do it.
她不会这么做的。
Freddie promised he wouldn't get into trouble at school but I don't believe him –
弗雷迪保证,他在学校不会再给自己惹上麻烦了,但我不相信他——
a leopard can't change its spots.
江山易改,本性难移嘛。
A leopard can't change its spots –
江山易改,本性难移——
and someone can't change their habits.
有些人不会改变他们的习惯的。
So Rob, you don't think Jane will be able to change Tim?
所以罗布,你不认为珍能够改变蒂姆?
No – he's stubborn –
对,我不这么认为——他十分固执——
maybe he's going to have to change Jane –
也许他不得不改变珍——
she is very neat and tidy and always turns up on time –
珍干净利落,而且一直都很守时——
maybe he could teach her to relax more – chill out.
也许他能教会珍多放松——缓和情绪,放轻松。
Hmmm – I don't know if she would change either.
嗯——我也不知道她是否会改变。
Rob, could we say a tiger never changes its stripes?
罗布,我们能说一只老虎不会改变它的条纹吗?
Ha ha – yes we could say that –
哈哈。对,我们可以这么说,
and it would mean the same thing –
意思是一样的——
in that she won't change.
她不会改变。
Oh dear, I'm not sure if their marriage is going to last!
噢,天哪,我都不确定他们的婚姻是否能够持久了。
No…or maybe it will.
不会…或者是可以持久的。
You know what they say?
你知道人们怎么说吗?
Opposites attract!
互补的人会彼此吸引!
Yes they do Feifei, you're right.
确实是这样,菲菲。
Bye for now.
再见啦。
Goodbye.
再见。