赋权
Michelle Obama on empowerment
Hello. This is 6 Minute English and I’m Rob.
大家好。这里是六分钟英语,我是罗伯。
And I’m Dan.
我是丹。
Now, Dan, do you know who Michelle Obama is?
丹,你知道米歇尔·奥巴马是谁吗?
Er, yeah.
嗯,知道。
Maybe the most famous woman in the world?
或许是世界上最出名的女性?
Former First Lady, which means she was the wife of the President of the United States of America.
前第一夫人,意思就是她曾是美国总统的妻子。
That is correct.
正确。
She's just published her autobiography and has been talking in the UK about her life.
她刚刚出版了她的自传并在英国就其人生发表了讲话。
Before we find out more, here is this week's question.
但是在我们找到更多内容之前是这周的问题。
When did the title First Lady first become used for the wife of the US president?
第一夫人的头衔什么时候首次被用于美国总统的妻子?
Was it in the: a) 18th Century b) 19th Century or c) 20th Century?
是a) 18世纪 b) 19世纪 还是c) 20世纪?
Any ideas, Dan?
有什么想法吗,丹?
This could be a trick question.
这是个刁钻的问题啊。
The first US presidents were in the 18th Century,
第一批美国总统出现在18世纪,
and they had wives,
他们都有妻子,
but I think the actual term may only have been introduced much later,
但是我认为这个实际术语首次被使用要远比这晚的多,
so I'm going to take a wild guess and say the 20th Century.
所以我大胆猜测是20世纪。
OK. Well, I'll have the answer later in the programme.
好的,稍后我将在节目中揭晓答案。
Michelle Obama's visit to the UK was covered on BBC News.
米歇尔·奥巴马对英国的访问得到BBC新闻的报道。
According to this report, where did she visit that she had visited before?
根据这个报道,她访问了她之前访问过的哪个地方?
The former First Lady spoke openly about a number of issues and one of her main messages was about empowerment.
前第一夫人公开谈论了很多事情,而且她谈论的一大主题思想是关于赋权。
Earlier in the day Mrs Obama revisited a school in north London,
白天更早些的时候奥巴马夫人重访了北伦敦一所学校,
a place where she says she was first inspired to focus on education during her time as the First Lady.
她说那里是她作为第一夫人的时候首次受到激励去关注教育的地方。
So, where did she revisit on this trip?
所以这次行程中她重访了哪里?
She went to a school in north London.
她去了北伦敦一所学校。
She said it was at this school that she was first inspired to focus on education.
她说就是在这所学校她第一次受到激励去关注教育。
If you are inspired to do something, you get a strong feeling that you want to do something,
如果你受到激励去做某事,你就会有想做某事的强烈感觉,
you feel a strong motivation to achieve something particular, often because of something someone else has said or achieved.
你感觉会有去实现某些特别之事的强大动力,通常是因为某人说过或者实现过的某事。
The report also mentioned that she spoke openly about a number of issues.
报道同样提及她公开谈论了很多事情。
To speak openly about something is when you discuss a subject, often a difficult subject, without trying to hide the facts or your feelings.
公开谈论某事是说当你讨论一个话题时,通常是有难度的话题,不试图掩盖事实或者你的感受。
It's a phrase that is used when people talk about things in their life that they find difficult or embarrassing.
这个短语是当人们谈论他们觉得生活中困难或者窘迫的事情时所使用的一个短语。
One of the things she spoke openly about was her own feeling that she didn’t really belong,
她公开谈论的一件事是她自己觉得并不自在,
that she didn't have the skills or talent to be doing what she was doing and that she didn't deserve her position.
她不具备做她正在做的事情的技术或才能,而且她配不上这个位置。
There is a name for that. It's called imposter syndrome.
那有一个名字。它被叫做负担症候群。
that feeling when you think one day everyone will realise that you're really not very good at what you do.
当你觉得终有一天大家将会认识到你真的不擅长你所做的事情时,你会有那种感觉。
I get that feeling all the time!
我一直有那种感觉。
I wonder why?
我在想是为什么呢?
Because the thing with this imposter syndrome is that it isn't justified.
因为这种负担症候群并不是合理的。
It's more a lack of confidence or a result of the way society labels us.
它更多的是缺乏自信或者是社会标榜我们的结果。
Well, anyway, back to the report.
好吧,不管怎么说,让我们回到报道中来。
Michelle Obama was also keen to talk about the topic of empowerment.
米歇尔·奥巴马同样热衷于谈论赋权的这个主题。
That's giving people the strength, confidence and power to achieve what they want in life by themselves.
那给予了人们独立实现自己生活中所想的力量,自信以及能力。
Let's hear from Michelle Obama herself now, talking about how we sometimes judge people based on their class rather than their individual abilities.
现在让我们听一下米歇尔·奥巴马本人所说的,谈论一下有时候我们是如何根据人们的阶级而不是他们的个人能力来判断他们的。
That's often the mistake that we make,
那是我们经常犯的错误,
we assume that working-class folks are not highly gifted in their own right when a lot of times your station in life is limited by the circumstances that you find yourself in.
我们认为凭本身实力工人阶级的人们并不是非常有才能,很多时候你的社会地位会被你发现自己所处的环境所限制。
She says here that we assume things about people based on their social status or station in life.
她在这里说的是我们根据人们的社会地位和门第来认定事情。
To assume' means 'to make a judgement which is not based on the facts but on what we think is true'.
“认定”是“不根据事实而根据我们认为正确的来做出评价”。
She uses the phrase 'in their own right'.
她使用了“凭本身实力”这个词组。
When you say that someone is talented in their own right, it means that their talent comes from their own skills and abilities,
当你说某人凭本身实力是有才能的时候,那指的是他们的才能来源于自身技术和能力,
and not because of any connection with any organisation, individual or class that they happen to be associated with.
而不是因为和任何组织,个人或者阶级间的任何联系。
Before we wrap up, time to get the answer to this week's question.
但是在我们结束之前是时候揭晓这周问题的答案了。
When did the title First Lady first become used for the wife of the US president?
第一夫人的头衔什么时候首次被用于美国总统的妻子?
Was it in the: a) 18th Century b) 19th Century or c) 20th Century?
是a) 18世纪 b) 19世纪 还是c) 20世纪?
And Dan, you said?
丹,你说是?
I thought it was the 20th Century.
我觉得是20世纪。
Well, you were right.
好吧,你是对的。
Yay!
哇!
But let me finish.
但是让我说完。
You were right in that it was later than the 18th Century, which was when the first US presidents held their positions,
晚于18世纪是正确的,那是第一批美国总统上台的时候,
but it wasn’t as late as the 20th Century.
但是并没有晚到20世纪。
It was the second half of the 19th Century when the title First Lady began to be used.
第一夫人的头衔是在19世纪后半叶被使用。
Now let's review today's vocabulary.
现在让我们回顾一下今天的词汇。
We started with the phrase 'to talk openly about something'.
我们从“公开谈论某事”这个短语开始。
This means to discuss something, usually a difficult subject, without hiding your feelings, emotions or facts about that subject.
这指的是讨论某件事情,通常是有难度的话题,不试图隐藏你的感受,情感或者话题的事实。
Then there was the noun 'empowerment'.
然后是名词“赋权”。
This is the process of giving people the feeling that they are in control of their lives, making people more confident in their rights and abilities.
这是让人们感觉自己掌控自己人生的过程,让人们对他们的权利和能力更加自信。
The verb 'inspire' was next.
接下来是动词“激励”。
If you inspire people, you give them the feeling that they want to and can do something, something difficult or creative.
如果你激励人们,你就是让他们觉得自己想做并能做成某事,困难或者有创造力的某事。
If you have that feeling yourself, you are inspired.
如果你自己有那种感觉,那你就是被激励了。
Next there was the verb 'to assume something'.
接下来是动词“认定”。
To assume' means 'to make a judgement about someone or something not based on proof, but on things you think or believe to be true'.
“认定”指的是“不根据证据而根据你认为或者觉得正确的对某人或某事做出评价”。
The next phrase was 'in their own right'.
下一个词组是“凭本身实力”。
If someone is successful in their own right, for example, it means their success is because of their own skills and abilities,
如果凭本身实力某人是成功的,那指的是他们的成功是因为他们自己的技术和能力,
and not because of who they work for, or work with or which social group they come from.
而不是因为他们为谁工作,或者和谁工作,或者是他们来自哪个社会群体。
And finally there was the noun phrase 'station in life'.
最后是名词词组“门第”。
Your station in life is your position in society – your social status.
你的门第是你在社会中的位置——你的社会地位。
And that brings us to the end of this week's programme.
那就把我们带到这周节目的最后了。
Bye bye for now.
再见了。
Bye!
拜!