拍照好看的食物
Photo-friendly food
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
And in this programme we're discussing food.
而且在这期节目中我们将要讨论食物。
Food, glorious food!
食物,美味的食物。
There's only one thing better than talking about food and that's eating it.
只有一件事比谈论食物更美好,那就是吃掉它。
Well, I know you are a bit of a gastronome – someone who enjoys and knows a lot about high-quality food.
好吧,我知道你有点像个美食家——一个爱吃并对高品质食物了解很多的人。
But today we're talking about photographing food, not eating it.
但是今天我们将要谈论的是给食物拍照,并不是吃掉它。
That is a shame because I am on a see-food diet.
那真遗憾,因为我现在的饮食方式是看到食物就吃掉。
If I see food, I have to eat it. Get it?!
如果看到食物,我必须把它吃掉。明白了吗?!
Yes, Rob. Very very funny.
是的,罗伯。非常非常有趣。
But in the social media-addicted world, just seeing food not eating it is big business as I will explain shortly.
但是在沉迷社交媒体的世界,只看不吃是大生意,我很快会对此解释一下。
But shall we feast on a question first, Rob?
但是我们能否先回答一个问题,罗伯?
Yep, if it tastes good!
好的,如果它还不错的话!
It does.
它确实不错。
So, do you know the name for the person who's usually second in charge in a restaurant kitchen after the head chef and has lots of responsibility for running it?
所以,你知道排在主厨之后,通常是厨房里的二把手,对餐厅经营负有很多责任的人叫什么吗?
Is it the… a) Pastry chef b) Commis chef or c) Sous chef?
是a) 糕点厨师 b) 助理厨师 还是c) 副厨?
Hmm, well, I'm not a chef expert but I'll say c) a Sous chef – it sounds important!
额,好吧,我不是厨师方面的专家,但是我会说是c) 副厨——它听起来很重要!
Well, I'll give the answer later in the programme.
好的,稍后我将在节目中给出答案。
Now let me explain more about food and photos.
现在让我解释更多关于食物和照片的内容。
These days, how well a dish – that's a noun for food prepared for eating – is photographed can matter more than how it actually tastes.
现在一道菜——那是一个名词,指的是准备好让人们吃的食物——拍得有多好比它实际上尝起来怎们样更重要。
And I suppose social media platforms are the best way for sharing food photos on, aren't they?
而且我认为社交媒体平台是分享食物照片最好的方式,不是吗?
And I have been guilty of taking a picture of my food on my smartphone – but only when eating some amazing food at a posh restaurant.
而且对于用智能机给食物拍照我一直感到很内疚,但那只是当我在一个高档餐厅吃到某种好吃的食物时。
Which isn't very often I suppose!
我猜那不是非常频繁!
But by sharing images across social media, people see them and think the food looks delicious, I must go to that restaurant and eat it!
但是通过在社交媒体上分享图片,人们看到图片并认为食物看起来很美味,我必须要去那个餐厅吃它。
You could argue it's about style over substance, meaning the look of something is better that the content or product.
你可以说那是注重外表超过实质,指的是某事物的外表要比其内容或产品更好。
Maybe, Rob, although I'm sure sometimes the food tastes just as good as it looks.
或许吧,罗伯,尽管我确定有时候食物尝起来就像它看起来一样好吃。
Anyway, the BBC Radio 4 programme, You and Yours, has been looking into this.
不管怎样,BBC广播4频道的You and Yours节目一直在研究这个。
They spoke to several influential Instagrammers and bloggers.
他们对话几个有影响力的照片分享者和博主。
Influential' means having the power to make people change what they think.
“Influential”指的是有改变他人所想的能力。
Here's one of them – Rebecca Milford, who edits a website called Bar Chick.
这是他们之中的一位——丽贝卡•米尔福德所说的,她是一家叫做Bar Chick网站的编辑。
What does she think about this new trend?
她是怎么认为这种新趋势的?
It sounds very cliche that a picture speaks a thousand words but it really does.
“一张图片胜过千言万语”听起来很老套,但是它确实是那样,
and I've got friends now that instead of doing what you used to do and going on to the website of a restaurant to see what they were serving,
而且我有一些朋友现在不会像你一样给食物拍照,反而会到餐厅网站去看餐厅所提供的食物,
then you'd go onto their Instagram account and check out their images, and choose what you want to eat literally based on what you're seeing.
然后再去餐厅的Instagram账号上查看食物的照片,根据自己看到的选择自己确确实实想吃的。
So it has to be presentable I suppose.
所以我猜食物的照片必须要好看。
Rebecca used a well-known and well-used phrase there – one that is used so much it has become boring – what we call a cliche.
丽贝卡在那使用了一个众所周知并常用的词组——它使用得如此频繁,变得很无趣——我们把它叫做“陈词滥调”。
The phrase is 'a picture speaks a thousand words'.
这个词组是“一张图片胜过千言万语”。
Yes, and even if it is a cliche, it is so true.
是的,而且即使它是陈词滥调,它也是如此真实。
You describe a fantastic meal in a long blog but you can quickly see how it looks from a picture and then create an idea in your mind of how it tastes.
你描述一篇长博客中丰盛的一餐,你可以很快地从图片看到它的样子,然后在你头脑中会产生它味道如何的想法。
So when you're promoting food, a photo is everything.
所以当你推荐食物时,照片是必不可少的。
And that's why some restaurants pay PR companies, lots of money to take stylish photos that can be shared on social media.
而且那就是为什么一些餐厅付很多钱给公关公司来拍能够分享在社交媒体上,有格调的照片。
It's like a fashion photoshoot for food.
那就像是食物的一组时尚照。
Yes and Rebecca said the food has to be presentable – that's looking good enough for people to see.
是的,而且丽贝卡说食物一定要好看——那是说看起来足够好看到给人们看。
Because people are making choices on what they see.
因为人们会根据他们所看到的做出选择。
I've also heard that some chefs and restaurateurs have adjusted their menus to produce meals that look good on a smartphone camera.
我同样听说一些主厨和餐厅老板调整其菜单来做一些在智能机相机下看起来好看的菜。
A restaurateur, by the way, is the name of a person who owns and manages a restaurant.
顺便提一下,餐厅老板是拥有并管理一家餐厅的人的名字。
Now, while there is a risk that good-looking food on social media accounts, such as Instagram, might not match how it tastes,
然而还是有风险的,在社交媒体账号上,像是Instagram上,看着好看的食物或许和它的味道并不相符。
there is a theory your brain might trick you in to thinking it does tastes good.
有一个推测是你的大脑或许欺骗你去认为它尝起来好吃。
The You and Yours programme also heard from Professor Charles Spence, an Experimental Psychologist from Oxford University, about how this happens…
You and Yours节目同样从牛津大学实验心理学家查尔斯•斯彭思教授那里了解到这是如何发生的……
We see the food first, or the drink in the glass, and our brain's already imagining what it's going to taste like.
我们先是看到食物,或者杯子里的饮料,然后我们的大脑就早已想象出接下来尝到的是什么滋味。
And the more beautifully it's presented, the more artistically, that sets better expectations and they kind of carry over and anchor the tasting experience.
而且食物展现出来得越好看,越艺术,人们的期待也越大,他们就有点心动想要品味一番。
Right, so a great photo of food can possibly make us think it tastes better too.
是的,所以一个拍照好看的食物可能会让我们觉得它尝起来也更好吃。
We create an idea in our head of how it will taste which influences our expectations when we actually eat the food.
我们在头脑中产生一个想法——它尝起来怎么样,当我们真的吃的时候,那会影响我们的期待值。
And 'expectation' means the feeling that something good is going to happen.
而且“expectation”在这里指的是感觉美好的某件事将要发生。
Right Rob, I'm sure you're expecting the answer to the question I set you earlier.
是的,罗伯,我确定你在期待着我早些时候为你设置的问题的答案。
I asked, if you knew the name for the person who's usually second in charge in a restaurant kitchen after the head chef and has lots of responsibility for running it?
我问你是否知道排在主厨之后,通常是厨房里的二把手,对餐厅经营负有很多责任的人叫什么?
Is it the… a) Pastry chef b) Commis chef or c) Sous chef?
是a) 糕点厨师 b) 助理厨师 还是c) 副厨?
What did you say, Rob?
你说是什么,罗伯?
Well, I said c) a Sous chef. Am I right?
好吧,我说是c)副厨。对吗?
You are, Rob!
回答正确,罗伯!
Give that man a job, here, maybe in the BBC canteen!
给他一份工作,或许在BBC的餐厅里!
Come on Neil, I think I could do better than that!
得了吧,尼尔,我觉得我能比那做得更好。
But before I do, let's remind ourselves of some of the vocabulary we've discussed today.
但是在那之前让我们提醒一下自己今天讨论过的一些单词。
Starting with 'gastronome' – that's someone who enjoys and knows a lot about high-quality food – someone like me!
从“美食家”开始,那是一个爱吃并对高品质食物了解很多的人,就像我。
Yeah, Maybe, Rob.
或许吧,罗伯。
We also discussed the word 'influential', meaning having the power to make people change what they think.
我们同样讨论了单词“有影响力的”,指的是有能力改变人们所想的人。
We also mentioned 'cliche' – a well-known phrase that is so over-used, it has become boring.
我们同提到了“陈词滥调”,一个被过度使用,众所周知的词组,它变得很无趣。
Like for example 'a picture speaks a thousand words.'
举例来说就像是“一张图片胜过千言万语”。
You never use cliches, do you, Neil?
你从来不说那些陈词滥调,是吧,尼尔?
Absolutely never.
绝对从来都不说的。
Let's move on to 'presentable' – that describes something that looks good, is smart and is good enough for people to see.
让我们接下来到“好看的”这个词——那描述某事物看起来好看,漂亮并且足够好看到让人们去看。
A bit like me in my smart new jumper. Do you like it?
有点像穿着漂亮新套头毛衣的我。你喜欢吗?
Very nice!
非常好!
Well, a presenter has to be presentable, Neil!
好吧,主持人必须得好看,尼尔!
Our next word was 'expectation', a word that describes the feeling that something good is going to happen.
我们下一个词是“期待”,这个单词指的是感觉美好的某事将要发生。
I have an expectation that people will love this programme!
我有预感人们会喜欢这个节目!
Well, let's hope so!
好吧,我们希望如此!
Yes, and that brings us to the end of this programme.
是的,那就到了节目的最后了。
Don't forget to check out our social media platforms.
不要忘了查看我们的社交媒体平台。
See you soon, byebye.
下次见,拜。
Goodbye!
再见!