世界杯让你兴奋吗?
Are you excited about the World Cup?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Rob…
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是罗伯……
And hello, I'm Neil.
大家好,我是尼尔。
And Rob, I have to say, I am very very excited!
罗伯,我不得不说,我非常非常兴奋!
Why's that, Neil?
为什么呢,尼尔?
Are you going on holiday?
你要去度假吗?
Come on, Rob. You know why.
得了吧,罗伯。
The 2018 World Cup is about to start in Russia.
2018年世界杯将在俄罗斯开始。
Four weeks of world-class football to watch.
有一场为期四周的世界级足球比赛可以观看。
By world-class I mean 'some of the best in the world'.
说世界级,我指的是“世界上最好的一些”。
Yes, yes, I know that.
是的,是的,我知道那。
But to be honest, I'll just be taking a passing interest.
但是老实说,我只是稍感兴趣。
I've got better things to do!
我有更棒的事情要做!
Better things to do?
更棒的事情去做?
Well, I'm going to be glued to my TV to watch the 32 countries compete for the title of World Cup Champions.
好吧,我要紧盯着我的电视看32个国家竞争世界杯冠军的头衔。
And if you love football…
而且如果你热爱足球的话……
…or not…
……或者不喜爱……
… we've got some useful vocabulary to learn.
……我们有一些实用的词汇要学习。
But let's start with a question for you to answer, Neil, to see how much you really know.
但是让我们以一个你需要回答的问题开始,尼尔,来看一下你真正了解多少。
Now, the mascot for Russia 2018 is a wolf called Zabivaka.
现在,2018年俄罗斯世界杯的吉祥物是一只被叫做扎比瓦卡的狼。
What does his name mean in English?
他的名字在英语里指什么?
Is it… a) The winner b) The one who scores or c) Fair play ?
是a) 获胜者 b) 得分者 还是c) 公平竞争 ?
Well, my Russian is a little rusty, so I'll go for a) The winner.
好吧,我的俄语有点迟钝了,所以我选a) 获胜者。
OK. I'll reveal the answer later.
好的,稍后我将揭晓答案。
OK, but now I have a question for you, Rob.
好的,但是现在我有一个问题问你,罗伯。
Who won the last World Cup in Brazil in 2014?
2014年巴西世界杯谁最终获胜?
Come on! It was Germany, Neil.
得了!是德国,尼尔。
And they beat Lionel Messi's Argentina in the final.
而且他们在决赛中打败了莱昂内尔•梅西的阿根廷队。
Both teams are among the favourites again this time.
这两只球队这次依旧是观众最喜爱的队伍。
But there'll be lots of countries who fancy their chances of lifting the World Cup trophy.
但是有许多国家幻想自己能够有机会问鼎世界杯。
That means they think they are likely to succeed, even though they might not.
那指的是他们认为自己有可能成功,即使他们或许并没有。
So you do know your football, Rob!
所以你确实了解足球,罗伯。
Anyway, the final will take place in the revamped or much improved Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow on July 15th 2018.
不管怎么说,比赛将于2018年6月15日在俄罗斯翻新过或者大力改造过的卢日尼基体育举行。
Did I say I was very excited?
我说了我很兴奋了吗?
Well, I'm not the only one.
好吧,我不是唯一一个。
We asked some people what they think about the World Cup.
我们询问一些人他们对于世界杯的看法。
And here are Keith and Jane describing their feelings…
这里是凯斯和简在描述他们的感受……
It's a four-week festival of football, isn't it?
它是一场为期四周的足球活动,不是吗?
And everyone kind of gets behind their country.
并且每个人都似乎支持自己的国家。
You also get to know about football teams in parts of the world you don't really think about very often
你同样要知道全球一些地方的不是真的经常想到那些足球队伍。
So it's that double-sided thing of the actual football itself, which is exciting, but also the stories that happen off the pitch as well.
所以实际上足球是双面的事情,它刺激,但是同样也有发生在场外的故事。
I'm really excited.
我真的很兴奋。
I can't wait for it to start.
我等不及它的开始了。
One thing – there's going to be great telly every night.
一件事是――每晚有很棒的电视看。
It's great to see the underdogs that are going to come through and have a really sensational tournament.
看不被大家看好的队伍获胜并且轰动全场是很棒的。
I think it's the enthusiasm of the crowds and the love of football that people have.
我觉得它是观众们的欢呼以及人们所拥有的对足球的爱。
So two football fans there.
所以有两个足球迷。
Keith used some good alliteration, that's words beginning with the same letter – four-week festival of fun.
凯斯使用了一些不错的头韵,那是以相同字母开头的单词—— four-week festival of fun。
He talked about people getting behind their country, not literally going behind their team, but supporting them.
他谈到人们站在自己国家身后,不是字面上的在他们队伍身后,而是支持他们。
Who are you supporting, Rob?
你支持谁呢,罗伯?
Well, my home team is England, but I'm not confident they'll do well.
好吧,我的主队是英国,但是我不太相信他们可以做好。
That doesn't matter to Jane though.
尽管那对简不重要。
She said it's fun to see the underdogs do well.
她说看那些不被看好的国家做得好很有趣。
The underdog here means the team considered to be the weakest and the least likely to win.
在这里"underdog"指的是被认为最弱的队伍,而且最不可能获胜的队伍。
You could say Iceland are the underdogs in this tournament.
你可以说冰岛是这次比赛中不被看好的队伍。
Maybe, Rob.
或许吧,罗伯。
So you can see why everyone is excited by the World Cup!
所以你可以看出为什么世界杯令每个人都兴奋吧!
Not everyone, Neil.
不是每个人,尼尔。
For many people, they're not bothered by the tournament.
对于一些人来说 ,他们没有受比赛影响。
We could say 'it's not their thing' and there are different reasons for it.
我们可以说“它不是他们喜欢的事”,而且那有不同的理由。
Let's hear from some other people - Jeff and Inga…
让我们听一下其他人——杰夫和茵因加是怎么说的……
There's not a lot of sportsmanship in it now.
现在比赛中没有许多的运动员精神。
I find that it's very corporate.
我发现比赛非常企业化。
And there's a lot of what I would call cheating going on – people taking dives, people falling over, because somebody looked at them the wrong way on the pitch.
而且有许多我会叫做弄虚作假的行为在继续,人们俯冲,摔倒,因为在球场上某些人用错误的方法对待他们。
Not really that excited.
并不是真的那么兴奋。
It's just too much hype about nothing really.
只是太大肆宣扬一些真的没有的东西。
The World Cup is a great event if you are into football.
如果你喜欢足球的话,世界杯是一项重要比赛。
But I'm not, so I can't be really bothered.
但是我并不是,所以我真的没受到影响。
There you go, Neil.
这下你懂了,尼尔。
Some sensible people there!
有一些明智的人!
Jeff thinks football has changed and now lacks real sportsmanship – that's fair and honest behaviour – he even claims some players cheat.
杰夫认为足球已经改变,并且现在缺乏真正的运动员精神——那是公平诚实的行为——他甚至宣称一些运动员弄虚作假。
I'm not sure about that, Rob.
对那我不确定,罗伯。
But maybe he's right about the tournament becoming very corporate,
但是或许对于比赛变得非常企业化他是对的,
which means it's sponsored by big companies who like to decide how the tournament is run.
那指的是比赛是由大型公司赞助,公司有可能决定比赛如何进行。
And Inga thinks there is too much hype.
而且因加认为太大肆宣扬了。
This means there is a lot of talk and publicity to make people interested in something.
这指的是有大量的谈论或宣传使得人们对某事感兴趣。
Well, there is certainly a lot of talk about the World Cup, but we have to remember it's not everybody's cup of tea!
好吧,那确实有许多关于世界杯的谈论,但是我们必须要记住世界杯不是每个人的心之所爱!
Well, it is my cup of tea, Rob.
好吧,它是我的心之所爱,
Now, can we have the answer to that question, please?
罗伯。现在,我们能揭晓问题的答案吗?
Yes. Earlier I said the mascot for Russia 2018 is a wolf called Zabivaka.
可以。早些时候我说2018年俄罗斯世界杯的吉祥物是一只被叫做扎比瓦卡的狼。
What does his name mean in English?
他的名字在英语里指的是什么?
Was it… a) The winner b) The one who scores or c) Fair play ?
是a) 获胜者 b) 得分者 还是c) 公平竞争?
And I said a) The winner, because football is all about winning, isn't it?
而且我说是a)获胜者,因为足球全是关于获胜的,不是吗?
It's the taking part that is important, Neil.
重在参与,尼尔。
And you took part in my quiz and got it wrong.
而且你参与了我的问题并且回答错误。
The answer is b) The one who scores.
答案是b)得分者。
Now let's have a brief reminder of the vocabulary we've discussed today, starting with ‘world-class’.
现在让我们简单回忆一些今天讨论过的单词,从“世界级”开始。
That means 'some of the best in the world'.
那指的是“世界上最好的一些”。
We should see some world-class football in Russia.
我们应该在俄罗斯看到一些世界级的足球赛。
If we're watching it, Neil.
好像我们正在看它,尼尔。
Next we had 'fancy' their chances.
接下来我们学习了“幻想”他们的机会。
If someone 'fancies their chances', they think they are likely to succeed, but they might not.
如果一些人幻想他们的机会,他们认为他们有可能成功,但是他们或许不会。
Let's move on to ‘get behind’.
让我们接下来到“支持”。
If we get behind someone – like our national football team – we support them.
如果我们在某人背后——就像在我们国家足球队后——就是我们支持他们。
Are you getting behind our national team, Neil?
你支持我们国家的队伍吗,尼尔?
Nope, I'm supporting the underdog Iceland, Rob.
不,我支持不被大家看好的冰岛,罗伯。
That's a word to describe the team or person least likely to win.
那是一个用来描述最不可能获胜的队伍或者个人的单词。
Next we discussed ‘sportsmanship’ – that describes fair and honest behaviour.
接下来我们讨论了“运动员精神”——那是描述公平诚实的举动。
And finally we talked about ‘hype’, which means 'lots of talking and publicity to make people interested in something'.
并且最后我们谈到了“大肆宣扬”,指的是大量谈论和宣传来使人们对某事感兴趣。
Well, we've had enough hype about the World Cup today and we're out of time.
好的,我们今天已经大肆宣扬过世界杯了,并且我们时间快到了。
Yes, but don't forget to join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for more Learning English fun.
是的,但是不要忘记在Facebook,Twitter,Instagram和YouTube上加入到我们的快乐英语学习中来。
Thanks for joining us and goodbye.
感谢你的参与,再见。
Bye bye!
拜拜!