美人鱼:是真实还是虚幻?
Mermaids:Fact or fiction?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是凯瑟琳。
– the show that brings you an interesting topic, authentic listening practice and vocabulary to help you improve your language skills.
该节目会奉上有趣的话题,纯正的听力练习和单词,帮助你提高语言技能。
I'm Dan…
我是丹。
And I'm Catherine.
我是凯瑟琳。
In this programme we'll be discussing mermaids, as well as teaching you 6 new items of vocabulary, of course…
在今天的节目中我们将讨论美人鱼,同时教你六个新单词。
How would you like to be a mermaid?
你觉得美人鱼是什么样子的?
A half-human and half-fish?
半人半鱼?
Well, Dan, I think it's all a myth.
丹,我觉得这只是神话。
Well, then you'll find this week's question a bit of a difficult one to answer.
那你会发现今天的问题有点难回答。
I suppose I will. Go on then.
我猜也许是吧。继续说吧。
When did the most recent alleged mermaid sighting take place?
最近人们宣称看到美人鱼是什么时候?
Was it a) the 1400s b) 1800s or c) 2000s?
a)15世纪, b) 19世纪, 还是 c) 20世纪?
Ok, and by alleged, you mean said or believed to be true but not proven.
宣称的,是指说或相信某事是真的,但并未证明。
I don't believe in mermaids, but I think there's a lot of people who do, so I will say c) the 2000s.
我不相信美人鱼,但我想有很多人都相信,所以我选 c) 20世纪。
Well, we'll find out if you're right a bit later on.
我们之后再看你回答得是否正确。
So, what do you know about mermaids, Catherine?
凯瑟琳,关于美人鱼你知道什么呢?
Well, a mermaid is a creature that's similar in appearance to a woman but instead of legs, a mermaid has the tail of a fish.
美人鱼是指外表和女性类似,但是没有腿,而是有鱼尾。
The males are called mermen, and they live in the ocean.
男性的美人鱼叫做男性人鱼,他们生活在海洋。
I thought they were a myth.
我认为他们都是神话。
They certainly appear to be mythical.
他们当然是神话中的人物。
They feature in legends and stories from all over the world.
全世界都有关于他们的传说和故事。
The earliest known one in a story dates from ancient Assyria, around 1000 BC.
最早为人知的美人鱼故事可以追溯至约公元前1000年的古亚述。
Can you think of a more modern example?
你能想到一个更现代的例子吗?
Many people will be familiar with the Disney story, The Little Mermaid.
很多人都很熟悉迪斯尼的《小美人鱼》。
Yes. But before it was an animated movie, it was a renowned fairy-tale written by Hans Christian Andersen, first published in 1837.
是的。但在制作成动画电影前,它是汉斯?克里斯蒂安?安徒生创作的著名的童话故事,于1837年初次出版。
Interestingly, a small bronze statue of the little mermaid has been sitting in Copenhagen in Denmark since 1913.
有意思的是,自1913年起,丹麦哥本哈根就伫立了一座小美人鱼的青铜雕塑。
There you go! There's no real evidence.
你又来这一套!没有真的证据证明有美人鱼的存在。
What if I told you that over 200 mermaids have recently gathered in Greensboro, North Carolina in the USA?
如果我告诉你,美国北卡罗来纳州最近聚集了200名美人鱼呢?
You're telling me fish tales, Dan.
你在讲故事吧,尼尔。
Ok. I'll confess. They aren't real mermaids.
好吧,我承认。他们都不是真的美人鱼。
Each person is a normal human wearing a waist-high latex tail.
每一个都是人穿着齐腰高的乳胶鱼尾。
They meet to share an interest in aquatic mythology, take underwater photos, and swim.
他们都对水生神话感兴趣,他们共同在水下拍照、游泳。
For many of them, it's a source of income too! Listen to Daniel Craig, five year merman, explain.
对于很多人来说,这也是他们的收入来源。让我们听听当了五年人鱼的丹尼尔·克雷格的解释。
A lot of the mermaids we have attending here are professional mermaids.
很多在此的美人鱼都是专业扮演人鱼的。
They will entertain at birthday parties, social events, company events.
他们会在生日派对、社会活动或公司活动中助兴。
I stumbled across the mermaiding community merely by accident.
我也是偶然加入人鱼社团的。
So it's a job too! A professional merman.
这也是一种工作!专业的人鱼!
And Daniel said that he stumbled across it, or found it by accident.
丹尼尔说他也是偶然发现的。
So, it doesn't really count then though, does it Dan?
这不算是真的人鱼,不是吗丹?
A real, real mermaid?
真的人鱼?
That's a different kettle of fish, which is an idiomatic phrase that means a completely different matter or issue.
那是截然不同的事, different kettle of fish是指完全不同的事情或问题。
Well, while we have no hard evidence, such as a photo of a real mermaid, there have been several sightings.
我们没有十足的证据,例如真的美人鱼的照片,还是有很多人表示看到过美人鱼。
One of the more recent ones was in 2009 in Haifa Bay.
最近的一次是2009年在海法港。
Hang on now, that rings a bell!
等等,这听起来很熟。
That's in Israel, isn't it?
那是在以色列,对不对?
And it allegedly appeared at sunset.
人们宣称美人鱼出现在日落时。
Apparently the mermaid was doing tricks.
显然美人鱼在耍把戏。
There you go then!
你又来了!
But there is no reason, Dan, to believe that it was anything other than a hoax,
但没有理由去相信一个骗局啊,
which means a deception or lie – often done for humour or sometimes cruelty.
hoax是指为了幽默感,有时是为残忍行为而做出的欺骗和谎言。
Well, real or not, it could be fun to be a mermaid.
不管真假,做一只美人鱼也很有意思。
I wonder what it would be like?
我很好奇那是什么感觉。
Well, that I can help with.
这一点我可以帮上忙。
Let Daniel Craig explain why he likes it so much.
让丹尼尔解释他为什么如此喜爱美人鱼。
It's just serene. It's the perfect place for a temporary getaway.
很平静。是短暂逃离现实的完美去处。
So he likes it because it's serene, which means calm and peaceful.
他喜欢美人鱼是因为它很平静,静谧而祥和。
Yes and he says it's the perfect getaway, which is a place you go in order to escape from normal life.
没错,他还说那是绝佳逃离现实的方式,也就是一个可以让你逃离现实生活的去处。
Well, I still don't believe in mermaids, but I do believe, Dan, that you asked me a question.
我仍然不相信美人鱼,但我相信你问过我一个问题。
I definitely did.
确实如此。
I asked, when did the most recent alleged mermaid sighting take place?
我问你最近人们宣称看到美人鱼是什么时候?
Was it a) the 1400s b) 1800s or c) 2000s?
a)15世纪, b) 19世纪, 还是 c) 20世纪?
And I said I think it was the 2000s.
我觉得是20世纪。
And you have hit the nail on the head. Well done.
你回答正确!做得好!
Thank you.
谢谢。
You're right. It was the 2000s.
你答对了,是在20世纪。
It was in 2012 in Zimbabwe and it was reported by the water resource minister.
2012年,津巴布韦的水资源部长报道的。
Let's take a look at the vocabulary from this programme.
现在我们看看今天节目中的单词。
Our first word was alleged or allege.
第一个词是宣称的,或宣称。
If something is alleged it is said or believed be true but not proven to be true.
是指说过或相信某事是真的,但该事情并未得到证实。
Can you think of a recent example, Catherine?
你能举一个最近的例子吗,凯瑟琳?
US President Donald Trump has alleged that newspapers have been printing fake news, but apparently there's no proof.
美国总统特朗普宣称报纸上说的都是假新闻,但显然没有证据。
And our next one was stumbled across.
下一个单词是偶然发现。
So, if you stumble across something you encounter or find it by accident.
是指你偶然遇到或偶然发现某事。
It's a phrasal verb and you could also say come across.
这是一个动词词组,你也可以用come across表达相同的意思。
So, Dan, have you ever stumbled across anything unusual?
但你有没有偶然碰到什么不同寻常的事?
Well, there was a time when I was going to a party in Holborn and I got completely lost.
有一次,我去霍尔本参加派对,但我完全迷路了。
And there on the floor in front of me I stumbled across a map of London.
然后在我前方的地上,我发现了一张伦敦地图。
It got me straight to the party.
地图引导我到了派对。
Spooky.
有点令人毛骨悚然的。
The next one after that was a different kettle of fish.
下一个单词是截然不同的事。
A different kettle of fish is an idiomatic phrase which means a completely different matter or issue.
这个习语是指完全不同的事情或问题。
You could also use the phrase a horse of a different colour.
你也可以用a horse of a different colour表达相同的意思。
Next up, we had hoax. And a hoax is a deception or lie – which is often done for humour or cruelty.
下一个是hoax,是指欺骗或谎言,通常是为了幽默或者是残忍的行为。
What was the last hoax you did, Dan?
你上一个谎言是什么?
One Christmas I wrapped a broken lightbulb in a box and gave it to mother as a present.
一个圣诞节,我把一个破碎的电灯泡装进盒子里,作为礼物送给了我的母亲。
I pretended to drop it and the broken lightbulb made a glass shattering noise and she thought that I had broken her present.
我假装把它掉到了地上,破碎的灯泡发出玻璃破碎的声音,我母亲以为我摔碎了她的礼物。
After that we heard serene.
之后我们还有serene这个单词。
Serene means calm and peaceful.
该词是指安静的,祥和的。
The noun is serenity.
名词形式是serenity。
What's your idea of serene, Catherine?
你认为的静谧祥和是什么样子的?
Two weeks, lying on the beach, drinking lemonade, listening to the sound of the sea.
两周的时间,躺在沙滩上,喝着柠檬汁,聆听大海的声音。
Fabulous. And finally we had a getaway.
很奇妙。最后一个单词是逃离。
A getaway is an informal word meaning a place you go in order to escape from normal life, such as a holiday.
这是一个非正式的表达,是指可以逃离正常生活的去处,例如假期。
So, where's your favourite getaway, Dan?
你最喜欢的逃离方式是什么?
My favourite getaway is my yoga class.
我最喜欢的方式是瑜伽课。
I find it really, really refreshing.
我觉得愈加真的很提神。
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Please join us again soon!
我们下期再会!
And we are on social media too, so make sure to visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
我们也有社交媒体,记得访问我们的Twitter, Facebook, Instagram 和 YouTube。
Bye!
再见!