异性相吸
Do opposites attract?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Sophie…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是苏菲。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
So, Sophie, the subject of today's show is attraction
苏菲,今天节目的主题是(对异性的)吸引力,
– do you believe in love at first sight?
你相信一见钟情吗?
No, I don't. I think it takes time to get to know somebody well enough to know if you love them.
我不相信。我觉得要花费很长时间去了解一个人,才能知道是否爱对方。
But I have a friend who says when she saw her husband for the first time…
但我有一个朋友说,当她第一次看到她丈夫时,
That was before they got married?
他们结婚之前的事吗?
That's right – when they met for the first time, that was it: a bolt out of the blue.
没错,他们第一次见面,真的是出乎意料。
And they got married three months later.
然后三个月后他们就结婚了。
A bolt out of the blue means something totally unexpected.
A bolt out of the blue是指一些完全意想不到的事。
Well, that sounds very romantic.
听起来很浪漫。
And leads me on to today's quiz question.
这就该说到今天的问题了。
Sophie, what percentage of Americans said they believe in love at first sight?
苏菲,有多少美国人相信一见钟情?
Is it...a) 26%?
a) 26%?
b) 56%?
b) 56%?
Or c) 86%?
c) 86%?
I'm not an old romantic like you Neil, so I'm going to go for a) 26%.
我不像你是个浪漫的人,我选a) 26%。
Well, we'll find out later on in the show if you're right to be sceptical or not, Sophie.
之后我们再看你怀疑的是否正确。
And sceptical for those of you who don't know, means to have doubts about something.
sceptical 是指像你们这些人不知道某件事时,保持疑问的态度。
I think you can be physically attracted to somebody straight away.
我觉得你会立刻被某人吸引。
I just don't think you can fall in love with somebody so easily.
但我觉得你不会轻易爱上一个人。
Love is about other things: compatibility, personality and a good sense of humour.
爱还关乎其他事情,如相容性,个性,以及幽默感。
Yes, humour is important, but apparently, Sophie, for men it's all about the waist-hip ratio.
没错,幽默很重要,但显然,对于男士来说,都和腰臀比有关。
According to research, the ideal waist-hip ratio for women is 0.7
据调查显示,女性理想的腰臀比是0.7,
– where ratio means the relationship between two sizes
ratio是指两个尺码之间的关系,
– and you get this figure by dividing the waist measurement by the hip measurement.
用腰围除以臀围就能得到这个数字。
I see. And why do men find 0.7 so irresistible?
明白了。为什么男性觉得腰臀比0.7很有魅力呢?
Well, let's listen to Dr Anna Machin, an Evolutionary Anthropologist from the University of Oxford,
我们听听牛津大学人类进化学家Anna Machin教授的看法,
explaining what a man is looking for.
解释男性在追求什么。
He's going to look for signs for fertility and what we call fecundity and good health.
男生所追求的是生育能力的象征,也就是我们所说的生育能力和健康体质。
And the major indicator of that in women is the waist-hip ratio.
最主要的指标就是女性的腰臀比。
And the waist-hip ratio – the absolute ideal – what men find most attractive regardless of culture
腰臀比,最完美的状态,就是不论是什么文化,男性觉得最有魅力的比例,
– this has been tested in many different cultures round the world – is 0.7 and that's really your classic hourglass figure.
是0.7,已经在全世界不同文化中得到印证,就是典型的沙漏型身材,玲珑有致。
And the reason why that universally is attractive is because it's tied to the health of that individual.
之所以普遍觉得这个比例迷人,是因为和个人的健康紧密相关。
There's a very strong relationship between someone circulating oestrogen and testosterone
和人们体内的雌激素和睾丸素有很强的关系,
– obviously you want the oestrogen to be high and the testosterone to be low for a woman to be fertile,
显然,你想要雌激素高,睾丸素低,有利于女性生育,
and also her general health, so 0.7 is linked to lower risk of heart disease, lower risk of diabetes and certain sorts of cancers.
也为了女性健康,0.7的腰臀比标志着心脏病、糖尿病及其他类型的癌症病发率低。
So a waist-hip ratio of 0.7 correlates – or has a strong relationship – with good general health and fertility in women.
所以0.7的腰臀比和女性健康及生育能力有很强的联系。
And men find this attractive because it identifies fertile women
男性觉得这个比例迷人,是因为可以鉴别女性的生育能力,
– women who will be able to conceive – or get pregnant – and have babies successfully.
这个比例的女性容易受孕生子。
Dr Machin also mentions that 0.7 is the classic hourglass figure – which means curvy!
Machin教授还提到,0.7的比例是典型的沙漏型身材,也就是玲珑有致的身材。
Do you like curves, Neil?
你喜欢玲珑有致的女性吗,尼尔?
Mind your own business, Sophie.
关注你自己的事就行了。
But all this waist-hip theory of attraction isn't very romantic, is it?
但所有关于腰臀比的理论并不浪漫,不是吗?
You're right, it isn't.
没错。一点也不浪漫。
And whilst we do judge people by the way they look
同时我们确实通过一个人的外貌去判断一个人,
– we also use our sense of smell to sniff out our ideal mate – or sexual partner.
我们也会用嗅觉感受我们理想的伴侣,或配偶。
Apparently, we can detect whether people are genetically different to us by the way they smell.
显然,我们通过一个人身上的气息,也能判断对方是否在基因上跟我们不同。
And parents who have different immune systems create healthier babies.
拥有不同免疫系统的父母能够生育出更健康的宝宝。
So it's back to having babies again – all biology and chemistry – and not about feelings at all.
所以又回到了生育宝宝上面,都是生化知识,和感觉一点关系都没有。
Well, let's leave chemistry behind for a moment
我们把化学先抛之脑后,
and listen to Professor David Perrett, at the School of Psychology and Neuroscience at St Andrews University in Scotland.
听听David Perrett教授的看法,他是苏格兰圣安德鲁斯大学心理学和神经学的教授。
He talks about other factors that play a role in attraction.
他谈及在对异性的吸引力上,另一个因素。
Plastic surgery really doesn't count for much in the end.
整形手术也不太管用。
You could be with somebody who's aesthetically very beautiful but if they don't smile or react then that counts for much less.
如果你和一个外貌很美,但都不笑,没有互动的人在一起,也没什么用。
So we can change our faces by interacting with others and doing so in a pleasant manner,
所以我们可以通过和他人的互动,通过令人愉悦的行为举止,改变我们的外在形象,
and that will aid our attractiveness and make others interested in us.
这也有助于提升我们的魅力,让其他人对我们感兴趣。
What does aesthetically mean, Sophie?
aesthetically是什么意思呢?
It means judging something by the way it looks.
是指通过外貌判断某物。
And whilst we all enjoy a pretty face, most of us are looking for more than that.
我们如果有赏心悦目的外表,我们会追求更多。
We are looking for people who appear friendly and approachable, and who we share interests with.
我们会寻找看起来友善,容易接近,有共同兴趣的人。
Exactly – and personally, I think kind eyes are very important – with a bit of a twinkle.
确实,从我个人来看,我觉得有一双温柔明亮的眼睛很重要。
What about you, Sophie?
你呢?
I like a good sense of humour.
我喜欢有幽默感的人。
Very good. Now, remember I asked you, Sophie:What percentage of Americans said they believe in love at first sight?
好的。还记得之前问你的问题吗?有多少美国人表示相信一见钟情?
Is it… a) 26%, b) 56% or c) 86%?
a) 26%, b) 56% 还是 c) 86%?
I said 26%.
我选的是26%。
Sorry, that's the wrong answer, Sophie.
抱歉,你回答错了。
56% of Americans believe in love at first sight, and the percentage is even higher for married people and those in relationships,
56%的美国人都相信一见钟情,这个比例对于已婚人士和相恋的人来说更高。
according to a poll conducted by the website CBS.com in 2013.
这基于CBS.com网站2013年的一项调查。
Well, Americans are a romantic bunch.
美国人都是浪漫的啊。
Me too, and I'm British.
我也很浪漫,我是英国人。
Now, here are the words we heard today.
现在,听听我们今天学到的单词吧。
bolt out of the blue
出乎意料
sceptical
怀疑的
ratio
比例
correlates
相关
fertile
能生育的
conceive
怀孕
hourglass figure
玲珑有致
mate
伴侣
aesthetically
审美上地
Well, that's the end of this edition of 6 Minute English.
今天的节目就到这里。
Join us again soon! Meanwhile, visit our website: bbclearningenglish.com,
下次再见!同时可以登录我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,
where you'll find guides to grammar, exercises, videos and articles to read and improve your English.
查找更多语法、练习、视频和文章,来提高自己的英语。
And we are on social media too.
社交媒体上也可以找到我们。
Make sure to visit our profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
记得在Facebook、推特、Instagram 和YouTube上进行阅读。
Bye!
再见。