自我认知:你觉得自己是谁
Who do you think you are?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Alice…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是爱丽丝。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
So, Alice, what do you see when you look at me?
爱丽丝,你看着我的时候你能看出什么?
Well, male, Caucasian, early 40s, short auburn hair, bushy eyebrows, thin lips...
男性、白种人、40岁出头、金棕色短发、浓眉、薄唇……
OK. So that's how you see me?
好吧,所以你是这么看我的。
It sounds like a police report, and I'm not sure I like your observation about thin lips.
听上去像警方的报告,而且我不确定我像你观察的那样有薄唇。
Caucasian means white skinned and European, by the way.
白种人是指白色皮肤的欧洲人。
And today the show is about identity – who or what a person is.
今天的节目是关于身份认同,即一个人是谁,是什么样的。
And the way people see us forms part of our sense of identity,
而且别人看待我们的方式,也是构成我们认同感的一部分。
while another part comes from our ethnic – or racial – identity.
而另一部分来自我们的种族身份。
So my question for you today, Neil, is:
今天有一个问题要问你:
What percentage of the UK population describe themselves as ethnically mixed?
英国有多少人将自己视为种族混血?
Is it …a) 0.9%?
a) 0.9%?
b) 5.9%?
b) 5.9%?
Or c) 9%?
c) 9%?
OK… I think that it's a) 0.9%.
我觉得是a) 0.9%。
Well, we'll find out if you got the answer right or wrong later on in the show.
好的,之后再看你回答的是否正确。
Now, Neil, you are, of course, many more things than my physical description of you!
尼尔,你远远比我从外貌上观察到的你复杂。
I'm glad to hear that.
听到这个我很开心。
And it's true, that until you actually hear somebody speak, there are lots of things you can't know about them.
没错,除非你真的听到某人讲话,不然有很多东西你都不了解。
For example, which country they're from, what language they speak…
例如,他们来自哪个国家,说什么语言。
Yes. So looking at me, what would you say, Neil?
所以,看看我,你会说什么?
I would say Alice that you're a typical English rose.
我会说,爱丽丝你是典型的英伦玫瑰。
Thanks, Neil – and English rose describes an attractive girl with a pale delicate complexion – or skin colour
谢谢你,尼尔。英伦玫瑰是形容白皮肤,有着精致面容的迷人女生。
– but you can't actually tell where a person is from by the way they look.
但是你不能从外表分辨出一个人来自哪里。
Yes, I suppose you're right.
你说的没错。
I have a friend who also looks very English like you, but she's a real ethnic mix.
我有一个朋友,看上去和你一样有英伦范,但她是确确实实的混血。
Her dad is German and her mum is Brazilian!
她的父亲是德国人,母亲是巴西人。
Well, let's hear from New York City actress and playwright, Sarah Jones, talking about her complicated ethnicity.
我们听听纽约市女演员兼剧作家Sarah Jones讲述她复杂的种族血缘。
My family on my dad's side, my grandparents, are from the South.
我父亲那一边的祖父母来自南边。
There's some Caribbean in there, black Americans from the South and the Caribbean,
那有很多加勒比人,美国黑人很多来自南部及加勒比海地区。
and then on my mother's side there are people from the Caribbean, from Ireland but you know Irish American, German American.
我妈妈那边,有来自加勒比海的血统,也有来自爱尔兰的血统,你懂得,爱尔兰裔美国人,德国裔美国人。
People would ask me if I was adopted when they saw my mother's white skin
所以当人们看到我妈妈的白皮肤时,总会问我是不是被收养的。
- she's actually mixed but she's white from a distance, and I'm black from a distance.
她也是混血,但她是白皮肤,我是黑皮肤。
Sarah Jones there.
上述是Sarah Jones 的讲话。
Well, Sarah has family from all over the world!
Sarah的家人来自世界各地啊!
I suppose the United States - and New York City, especially - is a real melting pot.
我觉得美国,特别是纽约,真的是个大熔炉。
That's right.
没错。
And melting pot describes a society made from people of different countries who live together and create a new shared culture.
熔炉是形容一个社会由来自不同国家的人组成,他们生活在一起,创造了新的共享的文化。
And people think Sarah is adopted – or raised by parents who aren't biologically hers
人们认为Sarah是被收养的,即非亲生,被父母抚养。
because she looks so different to her mum.
因为她和母亲长得不像。
But I expect Sarah sees herself as American.
但我想Sarah将自己视为美国人。
New York is where she was born and raised.
因为她在纽约出生并长大。
That's right. But her grandparents weren't.
是的。但她的祖父母不是。
Do you think you change when you go and live in another country with people different to you?
你觉得,在另一个国家居住,与不同文化的人生活在一起,你会发生改变吗?
Yes, I do.
会的。
My neighbours are Turkish but they've lived in England for 45 years so they’ve integrated into our culture.
我的邻居是土耳其人,但他们已经在英国生活了45年,他们已经融入了我们的文化。
They enjoy English things like… our TV soap operas, cooking turkey at Christmas, and drinking tea with milk.
我们喜欢各种英式的东西,我们的肥皂剧,在圣诞节烹饪火鸡,在茶里加牛奶。
And to integrate means to join a group of people, and often involves changing your habits and customs.
融入是指加入一群人,通常涉及改变自己的习惯和风俗。
Yes. OK. So, Neil, to what extent does the way other people see us, actually change us?
没错,在某种程度上,别人看待我们的方式也会改变我们吗?
Let's listen to Julian Baggini, a writer and philosopher here in the UK and find out what he thinks.
我们来听听英国作家及哲学家Julian Baggini的看法。
It seems very evident that our sense of self isn't something that comes entirely from within.
很明显,我们对自身的认知并不完全来自内在。
And of course we're affected by the way other people see us.
我们会受别人看待我们的方式影响。
And that's one of the most formative things in creating our sense of identity.
这也是构成我们认同感时非常重要的组成部分。
I mean, I think it's kind of a two-way process that's ongoing.
我觉得,这是一种双向的过程。
Our sense of who we are is always a response in part to how other people see us.
我们看待自己的方式,也回应了其他人如何看待我们。
So Julian Baggini believes the way other people see us is formative in creating our sense of identity – or who we are.
所以Julian Baggini认为别人看待我们的方式,也是我们形成自身认同感的组成部分,即我们如何看自己。
And formative means important for the development of something.
formative是指在某物发展过程中非常重要的事。
So if enough people see you as an English rose, you might start to see yourself as an English rose,
所以,如果很多人将你视为英伦玫瑰,你也许就会开始视自己为英伦玫瑰,
even if you aren't ethnically English.
即便种族上你不是英国人。
I'm not so sure.
我不太确定。
The friend I talked about earlier, she comes across as much more Brazilian than English in the way she behaves.
我之前提起的那个朋友,虽然行事作风很英式,但感觉她更像巴西人。
She doesn't have the famous English reserve – but you'd never know it by looking at her.
她没有有名的英语储备,但仅仅是看外表你是看不出来的。
And reserve means hiding what you're thinking or feeling.
reserve 是指隐藏你的想法或感受。
I think I'm guilty of English reserve. How about you, Neil?
对于我自己的英语储备,我很惭愧。你呢?
No, I think I wear my heart on my sleeve, Alice – which means I make my feelings clear.
我能清楚地表达自己的想法。
OK, I think it's time for the answer to today's quiz question.
好了,我觉得是时候公布今天问题的答案了。
Okey-dokey, fair enough.
好的,有道理。
I asked you: What percentage of the UK population described themselves as ethnically mixed?
我问你:英国有多少人口感觉自己是混血?
Is it … a) 0.9%, b) 5.9% or c) 9%?
a) 0.9%, b) 5.9% 还是 c) 9%?
I said a) 0.9%.
我选的是a) 0.9%。
Yes. And you were on the money today, Neil! Well done!
没错!准确无误!做得好!
According to a survey conducted by the BBC in 2011,
根据BBC 2011年的一项调查,
when asked about their own ethnic origins, 0.9% of the UK population said they were mixed race,
当问及自身种族本源时,0.9%的英国人认为自己是混血。
although it's thought that the real figure is 2% or more.
尽管人们觉得真实数字应该在2%,甚至更多。
Now, could you remind us of the words we heard today, Neil?
现在,带我们回忆一下今天学到的单词吧?
Sure. They are:
好的,分别是:
Caucasian
白种人
identity
认同
ethnic
种族的
English rose
英伦玫瑰
complexion
肤色
melting pot
熔炉
adopted
被收养的
integrate
融入
formative
形成的
reserve
储备
wear your heart on your sleeve
公开表达
And that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的节目就到这里。
Don't forget to join us again soon!
别忘了下期再会!
Meanwhile, visit our website: bbclearningenglish.com,
同时,可以登录我们的网站:bbclearningenglish.com
where you'll find guides to grammar, exercises, videos and articles to read and improve your English.
查看更多语法指南、练习、音频、文章,来提高你的英语。
Bye!
再见!