消耗掉披萨的热量了吗?
Have you walked off your pizza?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Alice…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是爱丽丝。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
What are you eating, Neil?
尼尔,你在吃什么?
It's a chocolate chip muffin.
是巧克力松饼。
How many calories do you think it contains?
你觉得里面含有多少卡路里?
I have no idea.
我不知道。
Check the packet.
查查包装袋。
It's hard to find the calorie content amongst all the other information here.
这么多信息很难找到卡路里的含量。
Ah, here we go: 450.
找到了,450。
That's a lot!
那很多了!
Are you sure you should be eating that?
你确定你要吃这个?
Why not?
为什么不呢?
I expect I cycled off quite a few calories on the way to work.
我骑车子上班能消耗不少卡路里呢。
Well, that depends on the length of your journey and how much energy you expended – or used up.
这取决于你路程的长短以及你消耗的能量。
Now, on today's show we're talking about food and the exercise it takes to burn off calories.
今天节目的主题是关于食物,以及锻炼能够燃烧多少卡路里。
And I have a question for you, Neil:
我有一个问题要问你,尼尔。
How long would you have to walk to burn off the calories in a quarter of a large pizza?
你需要走多少路才能消耗掉四分之一披萨的热量?
Is it…a) 33 minutes?
a)33分钟路程?
b) 53 minutes?
b)53分钟路程?
c) 83 minutes?
还是c83分钟路程?
I'll go for a) 33 minutes.
我选a)33分钟路程。
That sounds quite enough considering if you ate the whole pizza
这就足够了,考虑到如果你吃掉整个披萨,
it would mean walking for 132 minutes to burn off – or use – the calories. And that's over two hours!
大概要走132分钟才能消耗掉热量。整整两个小时!
Well, we'll find out later on whether you got the answer right or not, Neil.
好吧,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
But be warned – people are bad at estimating how many calories there are in food.
但要提醒你,人们不擅长估计食物中的卡路里。
Now, the Royal Society for Public Health here in the UK is concerned that people don't read the information on food packaging
如今英国皇家公共健康学会注意到人们不留意食物包装上的信息,
because the text is so dense – it means, tightly packed.
因为那些文字太密集了,密密麻麻的。
Well, I never look at food labelling when I'm shopping for food.
我购买食物时从来不看食物标签。
How about you, Alice?
你呢,爱丽丝?
Well, personally, I like to make an informed choice about what I put in my body, Neil!
对我而言,了解了进入身体的食物信息后,我才会作出购买选择。
And informed means based on an understanding of the facts.
informed是指基于对事实的了解
So I spend a lot of time reading the packaging.
所以我会花很长时间阅读包装上的信息。
And I think the current traffic lights are a great idea.
我觉得红绿灯是个很好的想法。
Traffic lights? What are you talking about?
红绿灯?你在说什么?
It's where food content is colour-coded red, orange or green – like traffic lights
食物会被标注为红色、橙色和绿色,就像是红绿灯一样,
– depending on its percentage of fat, sugar, and salt.
依据食物中含有的脂肪、糖分和盐分的比例。
So you can see at a glance which pizza on the supermarket shelf is better for you.
所以你可以看出超市货架上的哪种披萨更适合你。
This helps the consumer to make an informed choice.
这可以帮助消费者作出知情选择。
To see at a glance means to understand something immediately.
see at a glance 是指快速了解某物。
Well, my informed choice is based on which pizza has the most pepperoni on it.
我的知情选择是基于哪个披萨上面的意大利腊香肠更多。
I had no idea food companies were putting traffic lights on their food packaging!
我从来不知道食品公司还在包装上标注了红绿灯!
Yes, and that's not all, Neil.
这还不是全部。
There are now plans to put an icon – or simple picture – of someone running plus the time
如今有计划要将人物跑步的图标,也就是简单的图片印在包装上,
it would take to burn off the calories contained in a particular food item on the front of packaging.
标注出人们需要跑步多长时间,才能消耗掉食物中所含的卡路里。
Let's hear what some consumers on the streets of London thought about this idea.
我们来听听伦敦街头的人怎么看待这个想法。
I would think twice about buying crisps if I have to run 19 minutes just to burn the calories I ate.
如果我知道我要跑19分钟才能消耗掉薯片中的卡路里,我在买薯片的时候会三思而行。
I'd either consider working out those 19 minutes or not eating the crisps at all.
我会考虑要不要跑19分钟,或者干脆不吃薯片了。
Two people who would think twice about whether to buy crisps
接受采访的二人都表示在买薯片时会三思而行,
if they knew how long it would take to burn off the calories.
如果他们了解跑多长时间的步才能消耗掉这些卡路里。
And think twice means to think carefully about doing something before you do it.
三思而行是指在做某件事前反复思考。
But, to be honest, I want freedom to do what I feel like.
老实说,我想要喜欢做什么就去做的自由。
Even if they put a label on the food I think I'd exercise if I wanted to exercise,
即便他们在食品包装上标注出来,我也会在想锻炼的时候锻炼,
but I think I'd still have a packet of crisps if I wanted a packet of crisps.
如果我想吃薯片,还是会吃。
That's fine so long as you are clear about how active you need to be to eat what you do and not put on weight.
只要你清楚你需要多少运动量消耗卡路里,而不增加体重就好。
But a healthy diet isn't just about calories is it?
健康的饮食并非只是和卡路里有关吧?
I wouldn't need to cycle to work to burn off a diet cola,
我不需要骑车上班去消耗可乐的热量,
but drinking a fresh orange juice would be a healthier choice – even though it contains more calories.
我会喝鲜榨橙汁,那会更健康,即便含有的卡路里高。
Well, that's a good point.
很好。
Let's listen now to Shirley Cramer, Chief Executive at the Royal Society for Public Health,
我们听听英国皇家公共健康学会的负责人Shirley Cramer的看法,
talking about why she thinks the new labelling is necessary.
她会讲述为什么她认为新的标注方法很有必要。
We've got 60% of the UK population either overweight or obese.
英国60%的人要么超重要么肥胖,
We have a very, very urgent problem.
这一问题非常非常紧急。
We have a growing population, literally, and we need to have a lot of tools in our toolbox, a lot of new strategies,
我们的人口正在增长,我们需要更多的工具,更多的新策略。
I think, in order to support people to make good choices.
为了支持人们做出更好地选择。
Shirley Cramer of the Royal Society of Public Health.
上述是英国皇家公共健康学会Shirley Cramer的看法。
So, she says we need lots of tools – or strategies –to help tackle obesity in the UK.
她说我们需要更多的策略来解决英国的肥胖问题。
And linking energy content in food to physical activity is just one tool in the toolbox, so to speak.
将食物中的能量与运动结合在一起是工具箱中的工具之一。
Indeed. Now, I think it's time for the answer to today's quiz question, Neil.
没错。我觉得是时候公布问题的答案了,尼尔。
I asked you: How long would you have to walk to burn off the calories in a quarter of a large pizza?
我问你:你需要走多长时间的路才能消耗掉四分之一披萨的热量?
Is it… a) 33 minutes? b) 53 minutes? Or c) 83 minutes?
a) 33分钟路程? b) 53 分钟路程? Or c) 83 分钟路程?
And I said a) 33 minutes.
我选的是a) 33分钟路程。
And you underestimated, I'm afraid, Neil!
你低估了,尼尔。
The answer is c) 83 minutes.
正确答案是 c) 83 分钟路程。
This figures comes from Shirley Cramer, Chief Executive of the Royal Society for Public Health.
这一数据来自英国皇家公共健康学会的Shirley Cramer。
Writing in the British Medical Journal, she argues that food should be labelled with the equivalent exercise needed to burn off its calories.
她在英国医学杂志上写道,应当在食品包装上标注燃烧掉食物中卡路里所需的运动量。
This would give consumers an immediate link between food's energy content and physical activity that might help to reduce obesity.
这会使得消费者清楚地了解食物所含的能量,以及减肥所需的运动量。
Note, Alice, that I've put my muffin to one side.
我把我的松饼放一边了。
You've convinced me to eat more healthily and I'll be eating a green salad for lunch.
你成功说服了我,我要吃得更健康,午餐我要吃绿色的沙拉。
I'll believe that when I see it, Neil.
眼见为实,尼尔。
OK, here are the words we learned today:
好了,我们来回忆今天学到的单词:
expended
消耗
burn off
燃烧掉
dense
密集的
informed
知情的
see at a glance
看一眼
icon
图标
think twice
再三考虑
tool
工具
Well, that's the end of this edition of 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Join us again soon.
我们下期再会。
Meanwhile visit our website bbclearningenglish.com,
同时你可以登陆我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,
where you'll find guides to grammar, exercises videos and articles to read and improve your English.
查看更多语法、练习视频以及文章,以提高英文水平。
Bye!
再见!