新年就要“好运连连”
To have all your Christmases come at once
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语,我是菲菲。
And I’m Rob. And I am so excited.
我是罗伯,我真的太兴奋了。
Oh yeah? Why's that, Rob?
是吗?为什么呀,罗伯?
You know, Feifei – it's that festive time of year – presents, parties, time with the family, snow… did I mention presents?
你知道的,菲菲——圣诞节了呀——礼物、派对、和家人团聚、下雪……我刚才提到礼物了吗?
Yes, Rob. It's Christmas time.
说过了,罗伯,要过圣诞节了。
Come on, Feifei – aren't you excited?
来吧,菲菲——你不开心吗?
Imagine if we had lots of Christmases all at the same time!
想象一下,我们“had lots of Christmases all at the same time”!
Oh no, think of the cost of buying all those presents.
哦,不要,想一想我们要买那么多礼物,要花多少钱。
But hopefully you'd receive lots of presents too!
但是你也有可能收到很多礼物!
Anyway, do you know that for some people, all their Christmases can come at once?
不管怎么说,你知道吗?对很多人来说,“all their Christmases can come at once”!
I don't think so!
我可不这样想!
OK, well, they're not really Christmases, but if someone has extreme good fortune, it's like the feeling of having lots of Christmases all at the same time.
好吧,这可不是说所有的圣诞节都来了,但是如果一个人运气超级好,那这种感觉就像是所有的圣诞节一起来了一样!
Got it. Having all your Christmases come at once just means 'having lots of good luck'.
啊!原来是这个意思。我们可以用“to have all your Christmases come at once”这个表达来形容一个人好运连连。
Yes! Let's hear from some people who've had all their Christmases come at once – lucky them!
是的!我们一起来听一听一些人的好运当头——幸运儿们!
Yeah! I got a pay rise and I'm off on holiday tomorrow, and I've won the lottery! It seems like all my Christmases have come at once!
耶!我涨工资了,明天要休假了,我的彩票也中了!我真是好运当头!
The day I got married, I heard I'd passed my exams and got a promotion, so it felt like all my Christmases had come at once.
我结婚那天知道自己考试通过了,也升职了,当时感觉真的是好运连连!
All my Christmases have come at once: my parents bought me a new car, I got a place at university and I've got a new girlfriend!
我真的是运气好到爆了!我爸妈给我买了一辆车,我也申请到了学习,也交到了新女朋友!
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're learning about the phrase 'to have all your Christmases come at once' – which means 'to have extreme good fortune'.
这里是BBC英语教学的《地道英语》节目。这集节目里教给大家的说法是 “have all your Christmases come at once”,它可以用来形容一个人顺风顺水,福星高照,鸿运当头。
Did you know, Rob, that I've had lots of good luck?
你知道吗,罗伯,我也是鸿运当头呢!
No, what's happened?
不知道诶,你怎么了?
Well, I've been invited to a big swanky Christmas party tonight, I'm going skiing at the weekend and you've bought me an amazing Christmas present.
我今晚受邀要去参加一场盛大的圣诞节晚宴,这周末要去滑冰,而你又给我准备了炫酷的圣诞节礼物。
Have I?
我准备礼物了吗?
Yes, in that box over there.
是的,就在那边的盒子里。
Oh, that's not for you. Sorry.
哦,那不是送你的。对不起。
It looks like not all of your Christmases have arrived!
似乎你没那么好运诶!
Oh well, you may as well have your present now.
好吧,现在不过你要收礼物了。
Hmm, a book of English phrases – how useful!
嗯,一本英语词汇书——太实用了!
It will be. Happy Christmas, Rob!
会有用的。圣诞快乐,罗伯!
Same to you, Feifei.
圣诞快乐,菲菲。