公司团队建设
Corporate team building
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Sophie…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是苏菲。
And I'm Neil… Sophie – did you go on the corporate awayday last week?
我是尼尔。苏菲,上周你参加公司的放松日活动了吗?
Yes… you didn't miss anything.
当然,你真是了如指掌。
A team building guru lectured us on how to work more effectively with each other.
一位团建方面的专家给我们讲述如何进行高效合作。
We gave some presentations, had a few drinks after…
我们发表了一些小演讲,之后一起喝了几杯……
Right. OK. An awayday is a day that employees spend together away from their usual workplace.
不错啊。放松日活动是指员工在办公场所之外共同活动。
And a guru is an expert in something.
专家是指精通某事。
So did this guru teach you anything new, Sophie?
所以这位专家有教授你一些新东西吗?
No… not really.
并没有。
Shame. I was hoping for some tips on how to work more effectively with my co-presenter.
真稀罕。我还想知道有什么建议可以让我和我的主持搭档更高效工作呢。
I think we work very effectively already, Neil.
我觉得我们工作的效率已经很高了,尼尔。
Now, today's show is about team building – or encouraging employees to work well together as a team by getting them to engage in different types of activities.
今天节目的主题是关于团队建设,或者说通过让员工参与各种活动来鼓励员工进行团队协作。
And apparently, some companies in the UK are offering their employees activities
一些英国的公司组织员工参与团建活动,
such as… Hunger Games-style combat days where teams must work together to 'kill' as many of the opposing team as possible.
如饥饿游戏式的竞赛活动,小组需要团结协作,尽可能多地“杀死”对方队员。
Have you seen the Hunger Games movies, Sophie?
苏菲,你之前看过电影《饥饿游戏》吗?
Yes.
看过。
There're also Zombie boot camps where military instructors train you on how to fight zombies
活动还包括僵尸训练营,那里教官会教你如何打僵尸。
– that's dead people who have come back to life.
僵尸是指死而复生的人。
For the more cerebral – or brainy – amongst us – there are crime investigations modelled on popular TV dramas like Sherlock Holmes.
还有为头脑灵活的员工准备的犯罪调查类活动,模仿电视剧《神探夏洛克》。
Well, I'm not sure about the Zombie boot camp – a boot camp is a short course of hard physical training
我不太喜欢僵尸训练营,所谓训练营是指短期的艰苦体力训练,
– but the Sherlock Holmes awayday sounds like fun.
但是神探夏洛克式的活动听上去很有趣。
I'd definitely go for the Zombie experience.
我觉得僵尸训练营挺有意思。
Though I'm not sure how it connects with most people's working lives.
尽管我也不确定这和人们的工作有何联系。
Violence, death, the living dead…
游戏中充斥着暴力、死亡和活死人……
Good point.
说得好。
So let's move on and have today's quiz question.
接下来到今天的问题环节了。
What did Chairman Mao introduce in China in1951 as a compulsory activity for workers and was reintroduced by the government a few years ago?
1951年毛主席将什么活动引入中国,将其作为员工的义务活动,并在几年前被政府再次引进?
Was it…a) calisthenics?
a) 健美操?
b) calligraphy?
b) 书法?
Or c) English language lessons?
还是c) 英语课?
Calisthenics, by the way, is a type of gentle physical exercise…
顺便说一下,健美操是一种温和的体能训练。
… and calligraphy, by the way, is the art of writing by hand with a special brush.
书法是一种由特殊的毛笔表达出来的书写艺术。
Well, I'm going for a) calisthenics.
好吧,我选a) 健美操。
Not English language lessons, Sophie?
不选英语课吗?
No. I'll stick with callisthenics, thanks.
不,我坚持选健美操,谢谢。
OK. Well, we'll find out later if you're right or not.
好吧,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
Now, whilst English lessons might sound like hard work, ukulele lessons are apparently catching on.
上英语课似乎很枯燥乏味,相比尤克里里课程渐渐流行起来。
A ukulele is a musical instrument.
尤克里里是一种乐器。
Top businessmen Bill Gates and Warren Buffett both do it, and stressed-out city workers are following their lead.
商业巨头比尔盖茨和沃伦巴菲特都在学尤克里里,那些在城市工作承受巨大压力的员工也开始追随他们。
Here in the UK, a number of companies have been holding ukulele team building sessions.
在英国,很多公司都开设了尤克里里团建课程。
That sounds amazing.
这听上去很棒啊。
And is there anything about the ukulele in particular that leaves people feeling better after they've played it?
尤克里里有什么神奇之处,人们弹奏它后心情会变好吗?
Let's hear more about this from Lorraine Bow, who teaches people to play the instrument.
这方面我们听听教授尤克里里的老师Lorraine Bow。
But listen with attention because she spoke on the phone and the line wasn't great.
但要注意听,因为她是在电话上说的,信号不是很好。
Well, I guess it's just the fact that you know people don't often sing in their everyday lives
我猜原因是人们在日常生活中不怎么听歌,
and it's the fact that you can play and sing – play a musical instrument – within an hour
尤克里里课能让人们在一小时内做到能弹会唱,
– it's quite a… you know… it's quite a fulfilling thing really.
这是一件很满足的事。
It's not competitive – it's quite easy to do and a bit less intimidating than a guitar…
课堂不存在竞争性,而且尤克里里很容易弹,没有吉他那样的胁迫感。
Lorraine, the ukulele teacher, also says her classes aren't competitive or intimidating…
教尤克里里的老师Lorraine 说她的课程不存在竞争性或胁迫性。
… which means something that makes you feel nervous.
这是指没有使你紧张的事物。
Now, before we hear the answer to today's quiz question,
在揭晓今天问题的答案前,
let's hear about a company in Abu Dhabi where leadership is taught through horse training.
我们来具体听听阿布达比酋长国的一家公司怎样通过驯马来教授领导力。
Basically, you have to go in the yard with a horse and persuade it that you're the boss by using body language.
你主要是把马带进马场,然后通过肢体语言说服它听从你的指令。
Here's Kelly Eide, co-founder of the company, explaining why she thinks this approach works.
我们听听公司的联合创始人Kelly Eide解释为什么她觉得这种方法有效。
The horses don't care if your hair is purple, if you're a man or a woman, if you're old or young, if you are… what religion.
马不在乎你的头发是否是紫色,你是男是女,你年老还是年轻,你有怎样的宗教信仰。
So it transcends all of those cultural boundaries – it transcends age, gender, religion, tradition etc.
所以它超越了所有的文化界限,超越了年龄、性别、宗教和传统等因素,
– so that's a perfect fit.
这完全适合用于团队建设。
And in an organization where you really need groups of people to gel, who come from backgrounds which have no common norms,
在一个机构中如果你真的需要将来自不同背景不同规范的人群团结起来,
you can teach that most efficiently with a horse.
通过驯马培训是最有效的方法。
To gel with someone means to connect or get on well with someone.
团结某人是指与某人联系或相处融洽。
So you try and get the horse to do what you want using body language.
所以你要尝试着用你的肢体语言说服马听从你的指令。
And the horse feels instinctively whether or not you are a natural leader
马会凭本能判断你是否是一个合格的领导者,
because it doesn't recognize cultural differences, hair colour and age.
因为马不会区分文化差异、头发颜色以及年龄。
Probably easier said than done.
也许说起来容易做起来难。
Indeed. Now remember I asked:
确实如此。现在还记得之前的问题吗?
What did Chairman Mao introduce in China in1951 as a compulsory activity for workers and was reintroduced by the government a few years ago?
1951年毛主席将什么活动引入中国,将其作为员工的义务活动,并在几年前被政府再次引进?
Was it… a) calisthenics? b) calligraphy? Or c) English language lessons?
a) 健美操?b) 书法?还是c) 英语课?
I said a) calisthenics.
我选的是a) 健美操。
Well, you're right on the button!
你的回答准确无误!
Well done there, Sophie!
做得好,苏菲!
Calisthenics are used at schools as a warm up for physical education classes, during sports day activities,
健美操被学校采用作为体育课、运动会的热身活动。
and by some companies as a way of building morale and a sense of group unity,
公司将健美操作为鼓舞士气、加强团结、
as well as to raise energy levels and encourage good health.
提升体能、保持健康的方式。
Now shake a leg – or in other words – get moving – and tell us the words we learned today, Sophie.
现在赶快复述一下今天我们学到的单词吧,苏菲。
They are:
今天提到的单词有:
awayday
放松日
guru
专家,大师
team building
团队建设
cerebral
大脑的
bootcamp
训练营
callisthenics
健美操
calligraphy
书法
synchronise
同步
intimidating
胁迫的
gel
团结
shake a leg
赶快
Well, that's the end of this 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you enjoyed it.
希望你喜欢今天的节目。
And don't forget to join us again soon!
不要忘了下期节目再会!
Bye.
再见。