罗宾汉
Robin Hood
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute EngNeilsh. I'm Alice...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是爱丽丝。
… and I'm Neil. Hello.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Hello, Neil. Now what do you know about Robin Hood?
你好,尼尔。关于罗宾汉你了解多少呢?
OK. Well, he wore green tights…
额,他穿绿色的紧身衣。
Yes, he did.
好吧,是这样。
He was good at archery… he had a girlfriend called Maid Marion.
他擅长射箭。他有一个女朋友,叫做玛丽安。
He was English – although he sometimes he has an American accent in Hollywood films.
他是英国人,虽然有时在美国电影里他操着一口美国口音。
Yes.
没错。
There was a great Disney cartoon series using animal characters.
《罗宾汉》有一个很棒的版本,迪士尼动画系列,其中角色都是动物。
Robin and Maid Marion were foxes.
罗宾汉和玛丽安都是狐狸。
Anything else? What about being an outlaw or criminal?
还了解其他方面吗?比如说他是一名逃犯或者说罪犯?
Heroically fighting against injustice and corruption?
比如说他英勇地打击不公和腐败?
Oh yeah, there's all that stuff as well – robbing the rich and giving to the poor.
哦,是的,还有他劫富济贫的故事。
Yes, yeah… he lived in Sherwood Forest with a band of merry men.
他领导一帮绿林好汉生活在舍伍德森林。
Yes, he did.
没错。
OK, it sounds like you've watched a lot of TV and film versions but haven't read the literature.
看来你看过很多电视和电影版本的罗宾汉,没有读过相关的文学作品。
Oh, come on, Alice! Have you read the literature?
拜托,爱丽丝!你看过相关的文学作品?
Yes I have. I studied English at university and one of my specialist subjects was medieval literature.
当然看过。我大学时主修英文,其中一门专业课是中世纪文学。
The Middle Ages or medieval period lasted in Europe from the 5th to the 15th century.
欧洲的中世纪时期是指5世纪到15世纪这段时期。
I see. And I'm guessing that Robin Hood is the subject of today's show?
我懂了。我猜今天节目的主题就是罗宾汉吧?
Absolutely. You're right!
没错!你说对了!
So here's a question for you, Neil: When do we find the first reference to Robin Hood in English literature?
有一个问题需要你回答:罗宾汉是何时首次出现在英国文学作品中?
Was it in the…a) 5th century?
a) 5世纪?
b) 10th century?
b) 10世纪?
Or c) 14th century?
还是 c) 14世纪?
Well, I'm going to go for the middle one – and that's b) 10th century.
我选中间的那个选项——b) 10世纪。
OK. Well, we'll find out if you're right or wrong later on.
好的,节目的最后再看你回答的是否正确。
Now, why do you think the stories of Robin Hood have lasted from the Middle Ages through to the modern day?
你觉得为什么罗宾逊的故事能从中世纪一直延续至今呢?
Well, I suppose it's got appeal on lots of levels – action, adventure – there's some comedy stuff there with the merry men.
我认为他在很多方面都具有吸引力,例如打斗动作、冒险精神,还有那群绿林好汉的喜剧性角色。
And of course, romance, like I said before.
当然,还有浪漫情节,就像我之前提到的。
Yes, indeed. Actually the early versions of Robin Hood were very violent.
确实如此。事实上早期的罗宾汉形象是非常暴力的。
Let's listen to Professor Thomas Hahn talk about one of the ballads called The Monk.
我们听听Thomas Hahn教授讲述民谣《修道士》。
The Monk is, I think for most modern audiences who've either seen movies or read children's stories or whatever, quite disturbing in terms of its levels of violence.
对于现代观众来说,不管是看过电影版、儿童读物、还是其他版本的《修道士》,其暴力程度让人不安。
In terms of trying to make some comparisons with popular culture
与流行文化相比,
it seems to me that it's really at the level of Sopranos in terms of things like dismembered bodies and actual violence and assassinations.
我认为其暴力内容,如肢解尸体、真实暴力行为和行刺的画面都堪比《黑道家族》。
What's a ballad, Alice?
民谣是什么呢?
Well, It's a song or poem that tells a story.
民谣是讲述故事的歌或诗。
People were telling the stories of Robin Hood for a long time before they were written down – and performing them too.
很长一段时间,人们并未以文字形式将这一故事记录下来,而是靠口述或演绎。
Really? And how about the comparison between the Robin Hood ballads and the Sopranos?
真的吗?那民谣版罗宾汉和《黑道家族》有什么区别呢?
Now The Sopranos is a popular US TV series about gangsters.
《黑道家族》是美国一部颇受欢迎的讲述黑帮的电视剧。
Maybe I should get The Monk on audiobook.
也许我应该在有声读物上找到这篇民谣。
What do you think?
你怎么看呢?
Yes, I don’t think you'd find it disturbing – disturbing means making you feel upset or shocked.
我不认为你会感到不安,不安是指你感到心烦或震惊。
Assassinations are the murder of important people, often for political reasons.
行刺是指谋杀重要人物,一般是由于政治原因。
And dismembered bodies are bodies that have been cut or torn into pieces.
肢解尸体是指将尸体切割成碎块。
Right. It sounds like medieval entertainment for guys.
好吧,听起来这像是中世纪男子的消遣方式。
You know, like martial arts movies these days.
就像如今的武术电影一样。
Well, yes, you may be right.
你说的或许没错。
Now do you remember you mentioned Maid Marion at the start of the show?
你还记得节目开头你提到玛丽安吗?
I do.
记得。
Well, actually, in the early ballads there is no Maid Marian.
事实上,早期的民谣中并未提及玛丽安。
She appears in later versions along with other characters we know well today.
她和其他一些我们如今熟知的角色都是在稍后的版本中出现的。
But Robin is always a trickster, and a man with a bow in a wood.
但是罗宾汉一直都是居住在森林里拿着一把弓的骗子。
A trickster is someone who deceives or cheats people.
骗子是指欺骗他人的人。
That's impressive, Alice.
你这说法让我印象深刻啊。
You certainly know your medieval ballads.
看来你很了解中世纪民谣。
Yes, I do. So what's so appealing about this man with a bow?
当然了。是什么让这个携带弓箭的男人如此吸引人呢?
Let's listen to Professor Hahn again.
我们再来听听Hahn教授的看法。
What he represents I think is a kind of strong and forceful masculinity that operates on its own terms and for its own interests
罗宾汉所代表的是一种坚强刚毅的男子气概,我行我素。
and that's I think what we admire in these stories.
我想这就是人们欣赏他的原因。
What does it mean to operate on your own terms, Alice?
什么叫我行我素?
Well, Neil, it means to do what you want according to your own rules.
就是说按照自己的原则做自己想做的事。
And masculinity means the qualities typical of a man.
男子气概是指男人具有的典型气质。
Now, remember my question from earlier?
还记得之前的问题吗?
I asked: When do we find the first reference to Robin Hood in English literature?
我问你罗宾汉是何时首次出现在英国文学作品中?
Was it in the…a) 5th century?b) 10th century?Or c) 14th century?
a) 5世纪?b) 10世纪?还是 c) 14世纪?
And I said b) 10th century.
我选的是b) 10世纪。
Yes, well… I'm afraid you are wrong, Neil.
好吧,你回答错了。
The first reference occurs in the English poet William Langland's book Piers Plowman written between 1370 and 1390.
罗宾汉第一次出现在英国诗人威廉朗格兰的《农夫皮尔斯》一书中,该书写于1370到1390年之间。
Sloth, the lazy priest, says: "I kan not parfitly my Paternoster as the preest it singeth,/ But I kan rymes of Robyn Hood and Randolf Erl of Chestre."
最懒惰的牧师Sloth说:“I kan not parfitly my Paternoster as the preest it singeth,/ But I kan rymes of Robyn Hood and Randolf Erl of Chestre。”
Well, Alice, can you translate that into modern English, please?
爱丽丝,你能把它翻译成现代英语吗?
Maybe that's for another show.
也许在下期节目中。
Maybe another show…
也许下期节目吧。
Can we just have today's words again, please?
我们再听一遍今天的单词吧?
We certainly can. And we can have those in modern English.
当然可以。都是现代英语的单词。
OK. Here they are:
好了,今天听到的单词有:
Outlaw
罪犯
medieval period or Middle Ages
中世纪
Ballad
民谣
Disturbing
不安的
Assassinations
行刺
dismembered bodies
肢解尸体
Trickster
骗子
operate on your own terms
我行我素
masculinity
男子气概
Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you enjoyed today's walk in the woods.
希望你喜欢今天森林中的罗宾汉的故事。
Please do join us again soon.
我们下次再会。
Bye.
Bye.