你的配偶值多少钱
How much is your spouse worth?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute EngNeilsh. I'm Alice...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是爱丽丝。
… and I'm Neil. Hello.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Hello, Neil. Now tell me, do you usually go dutch when you take someone out to dinner?
你好,尼尔。我想知道,你带某个人出去吃晚饭,通常会AA制吗?
Now go dutch means to share the cost of something, for example a meal in a restaurant.
AA制是指平摊费用,如餐馆用餐的费用。
Well Alice, no, I usually expect my date to pay actually.
我不会让同伴付钱,但是事实上我希望她付。
I hope you're joking, Neil.
希望你只是开玩笑。
But I wouldn’t be surprised!
我不应该这么惊讶的。
Personally, I think it's a nice gesture to offer to pay for the meal when you're on a date.
但我认为约会时男方支付用餐费用是一种很绅士的风度。
Yeah. But it can depend on the situation – some people might be very offended if you offered to pay for everything!
但这也视情况而定,如果你抢着付所有的单,有些人会觉得不舒服。
Well yes, true. Clearly you're not going to offend those people, Neil, though are you?
好吧,显然你不会使这些人不舒服,是吧?
And I won’t be going to dinner with you any time soon.
之后我可不会和你吃晚饭。
Well, I didn't ask so calm down, Alice!
我没真让对方付钱,淡定。
Actually, money matters can cause relationship problems in couples – and that's the subject of the show.
确实,金钱问题会造成夫妻间的矛盾,这也是今天节目的主题。
Here's today's quiz question based on a UK survey. Ready, Alice?
今天的问题是关于英国的一项调查。准备好了吗?
I am indeed.
准备好了。
What percentage of married couples don't know exactly what their spouse earns?
多少已婚夫妻不知道伴侣挣多少钱?
Is it:a) 4%?
a) 4%?
b) 14%?
b) 14%?
Or c) 44%
还是 c) 44%?
Well, gosh! I think b) 14%.
我认为是b) 14%。
Yes, that sounds about right to me.
我觉得这个是对的。
Well, we'll find out if you're right or wrong later on.
之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
Now, it seems important that couples are honest about their finances
夫妻之间坦诚彼此的财务状况很重要,
because it can have an impact on their future financial options together.
因为这对二人未来在财务方面的选择有重要影响。
Yes, that's right.
没错。
If you're buying a house together
如果你们决定一起买房,
and then find out later that your spouse – your husband or wife – is thousands of pounds in debt,
然后发现你的伴侣——丈夫或妻子有数千英镑的外债,
then the chances are you won't be able to get a mortgage.
有可能你们就付不起按揭。
To be in debt, by the way, means to owe money to someone.
外债是指欠某人钱。
Good point. A mortgage is where a bank lends you money to buy a house.
说的不错。按揭是指获得银行贷款来买房。
Let's listen now to what Arabella Russell, a relationship therapist, has to say about this.
我们听听关系治疗师Arabella Russell对此事的看法。
The fact of the matter is it's very difficult – it can be very difficult – to talk about money.
谈论钱是一件很困难的事,可以说非常困难。
Often when we talk about money, it’s emotions very close to us – there's guilt, there's shame.
我们谈起钱,总会有这样的情绪——愧疚,甚至羞耻。
What have we done in the past?
我们过去是怎么做的?
To start those conversations is complicated.
开口谈论钱是很复杂的。
Money can be about how we value ourselves, how we feel valued.
钱事关我们如何看待自己,我们是否感到被重视。
It’s not just a simple case of talking about hard cash.
这不是简简单单现金的问题。
Arabella talks about 'hard cash'.
Arabella谈到“现金”。
Now what does that mean?
这是什么意思呢?
Well, we say hard cash when we talk about physical money – the coins and banknotes – as opposed to other types of payment.
现金是指实物货币,也就是硬币和钞票,这是相对其他支付方式而言。
And why do we find it so difficult to talk about cash, Alice?
为什么我们觉得谈论钱很难呢?
Well, because we get emotional about it!
因为谈到钱我们会很情绪化。
Arabella talks about feelings of guilt and shame.
就像Arabella提到的,产生愧疚和羞愧的情绪。
And for many of us, money isn't simply money – it can be about how we value ourselves or feel valued.
对我们大多数人来说,钱不仅仅是钱,这关乎我们如何看待自己,以及是否感到被重视。
Right – so if I were to buy you a cheap engagement ring you would feel undervalued.
没错,如果我给你买的是廉价的订婚戒指,你会感到不受重视。
Nice example, Neil! You can't be a cheapskate when it comes to engagement rings!
这个例子不错。订婚戒指方面千万不能吝啬。
So how much would you spend on our engagement ring, Neil?
所以我们的订婚戒指你会花多少钱呢?
Well… um… I didn't know we were getting married!
我怎么不知道我们要结婚了!
But if I was buying an engagement ring for you Alice, I think definitely I would spend about… you know around... in the region of … mmm pounds…
如果真的要为你买订婚戒指,我一定会买,恩,很多磅的戒指。
Sorry, Neil, I didn't quite catch that. Alright!
不好意思,我没明白。
Are you calling me a cheapskate?
你是不是要叫我小气鬼了?
I certainly am, Neil. Cheapskate means someone who doesn't like spending money, by the way.
没错。小气鬼是指不喜欢花钱的人。
Moving on – let's hear more from Arabella about how people have different attitudes towards money.
我们继续,听一听Arabella的观点,看不同的人对金钱持有哪些不同的态度。
Accept the fact that in your relationship you might do money differently – there might be a spender there might be a saver.
要接受一个现实,夫妻之间看待金钱的态度不同,也许有一个会花钱的,就有一个会攒钱的。
It’s very tempting if your partner does things differently to say they're wrong.
如果你的伴侣做不同的事情然后说他错了,这很有引诱性。
They might do it differently because they see money differently.
他们的做法不同,是因为他们看待金钱的态度不同。
Do it differently but have a budget.
尽管花钱方式不同,但一定要有预算。
Of course be honest about each other but recognise that you might just have a different view of money.
当然要对彼此诚实,也要意识到你们仅仅是金钱观不同。
Now that sounds like excellent advice to me!
对我来说这个建议很棒!
I'm a saver, and I'm not ashamed to say it.
我是善于攒钱的,我不好意思说。
Why waste money on an expensive engagement ring?
为什么要花费很多钱在昂贵的订婚戒指上呢?
Engagements don't always last.
订婚戒指又不经常戴。
You might drop the ring down the kitchen sink or…
也许你随便就扔到厨房水池中了。
How romantic, Neil!
这是代表浪漫!
… it could be stolen or you might meet someone else.
戒指也许会被偷走,或者你会遇见其他更爱的人。
Indeed. Now I know I shouldn't say you're wrong… but you're wrong!
好吧,我知道我不应该说你错了,但是你确实错了!
You have to invest in a relationship if you want it to work.
如果你想关系进行下去,你就要投资!
Calm down. I see money differently to you.
冷静。我看待金钱的态度和你不同。
I’m a saver and you’re a spender, and that’s all there is to it.
我善于攒钱,你善于花钱,也就这点区别而已。
And a budget means the money you have available for something and a plan for how to use it.
预算是指你有一些钱,计划着如何使用。
Well, we'll have to agree to differ.
好的,我们同意各自保留不同意见。
And that means accept that we have different opinions on this one!
这意味着接受不同的观点。
Can we have the answer to today's quiz question then, please?
现在可以公布问题的答案了吗?
Yes, we can. I asked: What percentage of married couples don't know exactly what their spouse earns?
好的。我的问题是:多少已婚夫妻不知道伴侣挣多少钱?
Is it:a) 4%?b) 14%?Or c) 44%?
a) 4%?b) 14%?还是 c) 44%?
And I said b) 14%.
我选的是b) 14%。
And you are absolutely and completely… wrong!
那你就是大错特错了。
The correct answer is 44%.
正确答案是44%。
Now that's according to new research conducted by the UK credit report service, Noddle,
根据英国信用报告服务的Noddle的一项新调查,
who also found that an astonishing 1.9 million married couples actively try to keep their finances secret from their partners!
190万已婚夫妇不告知对方自己的财务状况。
Gosh, what a lot of people!
天啊,这么多人!
Can we have today's words again then, Neil, please?
我们再回忆一下今天提到的单词?
Yes, we can. Here they are:
好的,今天听到的单词有:
go dutch
AA制
Spouse
配偶
to be in debt
欠债
Mortgage
按揭
hard cash
现金
Cheapskate
小气鬼
Budget
预算
agree to differ
各自保留不同意见
Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you thought today's programme was good value.
希望你认为今天的节目很有意义。
Please join us again soon. See you then.
我们下次再会!再见!
Bye.
再见!