着装的意义
The meaning of clothes
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Rob...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是罗伯。
… and I'm Will. Hello.
大家好,我是威尔。
Hi there, Will. I have to say, I like that shirt you're wearing today.
你好,威尔。不得不说,我很喜欢你今天穿的衬衫。
I haven't seen that one before.
之前没见你穿过。
Yes, I got it at the weekend.
我周末买的。
But, to be honest, I don't give my clothes much thought.
老实说,我买衣服从来不考虑那么多。
I just throw on the first thing I see.
第一眼看见就买了。
What about you?
你呢?
Well, I try to look presentable.
我会买好看的衣服。
I wouldn't want to appear too scruffy.
不想看上去不整齐。
Clothes say an awful lot about us, don't they Will?
从一个人的衣着可以看出很多,不是吗?
A lot depends on the job you do.
这取决于你的工作性质。
In a bank, you're supposed to look pretty smart all the time.
在银行,你需要时刻穿着干练。
But if you work for a design company, say, a suit would look out of place – that means unsuitable.
但是如果你就职于一家设计公司,穿一身笔挺的西装就有些格格不入了,也就是说不合适。
People in the creative industries tend to dress down – that means dress casually – you know jeans and t-shirts.
在创意产业工作的人们倾向于穿便装,穿着随意就好,牛仔裤、T恤都可以。
Yes. Then there's the whole question of what to wear to an interview.
还有一个很重要的问题是面试时应该穿什么。
I reckon if you put on something smart you can't go far wrong.
我认为穿着干练些去面试永远不会出错。
Yes. But the meaning of clothes goes far deeper than what you should or shouldn't wear in the workplace, Will.
着装的意义远远不止工作时应该穿什么,不应该穿什么。
It can really influence what people think of us.
这着实影响人们对我们的看法。
Now, rightly or wrongly, they can make snap judgements - or quick decisions - about us.
且不管对错,人们通过着装可以对我们作出快速评价。
Yes, you're right.
没错。
It's a cultural issue.
这是个文化问题。
It's about how we see ourselves, too.
这也关乎我们如何看待自己。
Now, take the sari.
现在,我们来谈谈纱丽。
It's been around for centuries and is still the main form of dress for millions of women in the Indian subcontinent.
几世纪以来,纱丽一直是印度次大陆几百万女性的主要着装。
That's that very long garment with all those amazing colours and designs, isn't it? It always looks so elegant.
纱丽是一款长袍,色彩艳丽,设计感很强。看上去总是那么美丽优雅。
Yes, it does.
确实如此。
So Will, can you answer this question: what is the maximum length of a sari?
现在回答一下今天的问题吧?纱丽最长能有多少米?
Is it ...a) 12 metres
a) 12米
b) 9 metres
b) 9 米
or c) 7 metres
还是c) 7 米
Surely it can't be 12 metres long!
肯定不能有12米长!
I'm going to say 9 metres.
我选9米。
Okay. Well, we'll find out if you're right or wrong later on.
好的,之后再看你回答得是否正确。
But now let's listen to Dr Shahidha Bari talking about the sari.
现在我们来听听Shahidha Bari的看法。
She uses a word that means "covered".
她使用了一个词来表示“覆盖的”。
Can you hear what it is?
你能听出来是什么吗?
Saris encircle the waist, are often pleated and then swept across the upper body with folds and fabric draped over the shoulder or veiling the head.
纱丽绕过腰,多有褶皱,围在上身,将末端下摆搭在肩上,也用作面纱遮挡面部。
There are more than 80 different ways of wearing a sari and they've been worn in the Indian subcontinent since the first millennium.
纱丽有80多种不同的穿法,自公元一千年就在印度次大陆兴起。
It's a garment woven into the histories of the countries from which it comes.
这一服装已彻底融入国家的历史。
So draped means "covered".
所以那个词是覆盖。
Then she used the word garment.
她还使用了“garment服装”一词。
That's another word for a piece of clothing.
这也是表达衣服的另一种说法。
And then she said there are 80 ways of wearing a sari, Rob. Amazing!
之后她提到纱丽有80多种穿法。真的很神奇!
It is, isn't it?
确实如此。
Some Asian women in the West wear saris just for ceremonial occasions – that means special events like weddings.
西方的一些亚洲女性仅仅是在典礼等场合穿纱丽,例如在婚礼等特殊庆典上。
I suppose, in a sense, it's not that practical for day-to-day use.
我认为,在某种意义上,纱丽已经不适用于日常着装。
But it certainly makes a beautiful splash of colour – or a display of colour - when they do wear it.
但是穿上纱丽,着实增色不少,增添一抹明媚的色彩。
What she said has got me thinking about English traditional dress.
她所说的让我想起英国传统服饰。
And, to be honest, Rob, I can't recall anything off the top of my head.
老实说,我一下子还真想不起来。
Off the top of your head, Will?
头顶上?
That's because you're not wearing a hat.
那是因为你没戴帽子。
Don't be ridiculous, Rob.
别胡说了。
Off the top of my head. It's an idiom and it means I can't think of anything immediately.
这个俗语是指不能立马想起某件事。
Yes, Will. I do know that actually.
好吧,我知道。
It was my attempt at a joke.
只是想开个玩笑。
But you're right: the British dress sense has become a bit samey (it looks the same)
但是你说得对,英国的穿衣品味有点单调,
– apart from the fashion industry, which is highly regarded throughout the world.
除了时尚产业,英国的时尚产业一直受到世界盛赞。
Well, you wouldn't catch me wearing most of the men's gear you see on the catwalk.
你不会看见我穿着T台模特那样的衣服去上班。
But, seriously, Will, clothes are undoubtedly an important business.
但是严肃的说,衣服毋庸置疑是非常重要的。
Let's listen to Dr Shahidha Bari again as she reflects on her mother's use of the sari.
我们来听听Shahidha Bari对她妈妈穿纱丽的看法。
And yet the sari makes me feel safe too because I associate it with her body and the world she made for me.
纱丽让我有一种安全感,它让我想起妈妈,以及妈妈展现给我的世界。
And now, as I struggle to keep hold of the sari, the rituals and the memories around it, I fear losing the world it signifies – and her, too.
如今我尽力想要留住纱丽,以及相关的礼仪和记忆,我害怕失去纱丽所象征的世界,以及妈妈。
She talked about the way she struggles - that means she finds it difficult - to make the sari important in her life.
她讲到尽力想要使纱丽成为生活的重要部分,却发现很难做到。
And she uses the word signifies, which means giving the meaning of something.
她使用“象征”一词表示赋予某件事意义。
The sari obviously has an emotional attachment for her.
纱丽对她来说显然是一种情感维系。
And when you think just how much money people spend on clothes, it shows how vital it is.
你只要想想人们在衣着上的花费,就知道它有多重要了。
And let's not forgetting football shirts, Will.
我们别忘了足球衫。
Fans want to be seen in their team's latest shirt design, don't they? I know I do.
粉丝们想要看他们队的最新球衫设计。反正我是如此。
By the way, what team do you support, Rob?
顺便问一句,你支持哪支球队?
Ah, well, it's Chelsea, of course.
当然是切尔西了。
Come on, you Blues.
布鲁斯,加油!
What about you, Will?
那你呢?
Tottenham Hotspur.
我支持托特纳姆热刺。
Never mind, someone has to.
好吧,不要介意。
Now, remember at the beginning of the show I asked you: what is the maximum length of a sari?
还记得节目开始的问题吗?我问你纱丽最长能有多少米?
Is it ...a) 12 metresb) 9 metresor c) 7 metres?
a) 12 米b) 9 米还是c) 7 米?
Yes. And I said 9 metres.
我认为是9米。
Well, you know your saris well because that is the right answer.
你很了解纱丽哦,恭喜你回答正确。
Well done!
做的不错!
Now, before we go, it's time to remind ourselves of some of the vocabulary that we've heard today. Will.
节目结束前,再来回忆一下今天听到的单词吧。
scruffy
不整洁的
out of place
不相称的
dress down
便服
make snap judgements
做出快速评价
draped
覆盖
garment
服饰
ceremonial occasions
仪式
splash of colour
色彩明丽
off the top of my head
一时想不起来
struggle
尽力
signifies
象征
Thank you, Will.
谢谢。
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
You can listen to more programmes on our website at bbclearningenglish.com.
登陆我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com.可以查看更多节目。
Please join us again soon.
下次再会!
Bye.
再见。