聪明人 VS 蠢人
A bright spark
Hello, this The English We Speak. I'm Feifei.
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语,我是菲菲。
And hello, I’m Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Hey, Rob. You know we've got a 'bright spark' in our office?
嘿,罗伯,你知道咱们办公室有一个“bright spark”吗?
A bright spark?
聪明人?
Oh yes – by that you mean someone intelligent…
哦,当然——你的意思是一个很有智慧的人……
Well…
好吧……
Someone full of energy…
一个充满活力的人……
I didn't exactly…
实际上我并不是……
Someone with clever ideas.
总是有好主意的人。
Feifei, there's no need to waste everyone's time.
菲菲,我们没必要浪费大家的时间了。
Just say my name! Rob is the bright spark in the office.
直接说我的名字吧!罗伯是办公室里最机智、聪明的人。
Ermm... Rob, that is just one definition of 'a bright spark'.
呃……罗伯,你说的只是“Bright spark”的其中一个意思。
A bright spark can describe someone who is clever, intelligent with lots of energy.
它可以描述一个精明的、生气勃勃的人。
But this isn't the definition that applies to you Rob!
不过这个意思可不适用于你呀,罗伯。
So come on, Feifei. When else would you describe someone as 'a bright spark'?
别这样,菲菲。如果你形容某人是“bright spark”,还有什么其他的意思吗?
Well, it can be used sarcastically and humorously to describe someone who thinks they are intelligent but actually does something stupid.
好吧,这也可以是一种讽刺或者幽默的表达方式,形容那些自认为聪明,但实际上很蠢的人。
A bit like this…
差不多就是这样……
Which bright spark suggested we go for a walk on the wettest day of the year?!
是哪个蠢货建议我们要在一年中下雨最大的时候出去散步的?
Come on, own up – who's the bright spark who turned the power off and caused everything in the freezer to melt?
天哪,快承认吧——是哪个自作聪明的人关了电源,让冰箱里面的东西都融化了?
Are you the bright spark who told the other team our game plan? I think you owe us an apology.
是你这个笨蛋向别的队伍透露了我们的计划?我觉得你必须得道歉。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
这里是BBC英语教学的《地道英语》节目。
And we've discovered that 'a bright spark' can either be a very smart person or someone who has done something stupid.
在本集节目里,我们讨论了“bright spark”的两个意思。一个意思是“聪明人”,而另一个意思则是“蠢人”。
So I'm sorry to say, Rob, you are the second kind of bright spark!
所以不好意思,罗伯,你是“bright spark”的第二层意思!
Oh really. Why is that?
真的吗?为什么?
You left the window open last night and this morning I found all my documents and scripts blown all over the floor.
昨天晚上你没有关窗户,今早我发现我的文件和脚本被吹得满地都是。
Are you sure?
你确定吗?
A bright spark like me would never do something like that.
像我这样的“聪明人”绝对不会犯这种错误的。
Rob, it's exactly what a bright spark like you might do – and it means I've lost the last page of this script.
罗伯,这确实是像你这样的“笨蛋”会做的事——也就是说,我找不到脚本的最后一页了。
Oh really! I think I can remember what it said.
真的吗?我想我记得最后一页写的什么。
Something like - 'Sorry, Rob. You are wise and clever and the brightest spark I have ever known'.
差不多就是——对不起,罗伯,你是我见过的最有智慧、最聪明、最精力充沛的人。
I don't think so, Rob.
我可不这样想,罗伯。
Which bright spark would write something as cringey as that?
那个聪明人会写这么尴尬的脚本?
Err... Time to go I think.
呃……我想我们该走了。
Good idea. Bye.
好主意,拜拜~
Bye.
拜~