没有说服力
It won't wash
Hello, I'm Neil…
大家好,我是尼尔……
… and I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
……我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
What's in that bag, Feifei?
那个袋子里是什么啊,菲菲?
Oh this – it's a box of the best washing powder there is –
噢这个啊,这是一盒最好的洗衣粉——
Dazzlebright non-bio washing powder!
闪亮牌非生物洗衣粉!
And why will I need that?
那我为什么会需要它呢?
Well, at the meeting earlier – when John suggested we all wore suits to work –
嗯,之前的会上,约翰建议我们都穿西服上班,
you said his idea won't wash with the team –
你说他的想法在我们的团队里“洗不了”,
so here's some washing powder to help you make it wash.
所以我才拿了一些洗衣粉来帮你。
It's a kind thought –
这个想法很好,
but I won't need it.
但我不需要洗衣粉。
When I said it won't wash I meant his idea is unconvincing and won't work.
我说“没法洗”的意思是他的想法没有说服力,并且行不通。
Ah – So you don't need my washing powder then?
啊,那你是不需要我的洗衣粉了?
No thanks.
不用啦,谢谢。
You see, this phrase originally referred to fabrics that were not good quality and wouldn't last long when they were washed.
你看,这个短语本来是说织物的质量不好,被洗的时候持续不了太久。
But now it's about someone's idea or suggestion not lasting very long because people won't believe it or accept it.
但现在这个说法的意思是某人的想法或者建议持续不了太久,因为人们不会相信或者接受它。
Let's hear some examples…
让我们来听几个例子吧……
Your excuses for not finishing your essay won't wash with me –
你文章没写完的理由并不能说服我,
you've missed your deadline and that's that.
你已经错过截止日期了,就这样。
The boss's idea to work an extra hour everyday won't wash with the team –
老板每天多工作一小时的想法并不能说服这个团队,
they'll be furious.
他们会怒不可遏的。
Just saying you've got a cold won't wash with your fans –
你说你感冒了,这对你的粉丝来说并没有说服力,
they've paid a lot of money to come and see you perform.
他们已经付了许多钱来看你的表演。
That's the expression it won't wash which really means it won't work –
这个短语实际的意思是不奏效,
or nobody will believe you.
或者说没有人相信你。
Of course, I do know this phrase Neil.
当然,我知道这个短语,尼尔。
So why did you bring in the washing powder?
那你为什么还把洗衣粉给带来了?
Well I know how scruffy our team members are –
我知道咱们的团队成员有多脏,
and if we do have to start wearing suits, they will all need a good wash.
如果我们必须得开始穿西服了,他们全部需要好好洗一下。
Erm, did you have curry last night?
呃,你昨晚吃咖喱了吗?
Yeah – why do you ask?
对啊,为什么这么问呢?
There's a big yellow stain on your jumper – just there.
你的工作服上有一大块黄色的污渍,就在那儿。
Here, why not test out use my Dazzlebright washing powder –
嘿,为什么不试试我的闪亮牌洗衣粉呢,
it makes your old clothes look like new!'
它会让你的旧衣服看起来像新的一样!
Hmm, thanks.
嗯,谢谢。
Bye.
再见。