上班时间打瞌睡
Sleeping on the job
Hello I'm Rob. Welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm joined today by Finn.
大家好,我是Rob。欢迎收听六分钟英语节目,今天我的搭档是Finn。
Hello Finn.
你好,Finn。
...
……
Finn? …Hello Finn?
Finn?……Finn?
Oh sorry Rob, you caught me napping.
噢,对不起,Rob。被你抓到我在打盹了。
It's that time of day when I need to nod off – or in other words, fall asleep.
白天的时候我需要打一会盹——或者换句话说就是睡觉。
Well, sleeping on the job – or sleeping at work - is no bad thing –
其实,上班时间打盹——或者睡觉——并不是一件坏事——
and I hope today's programme will wake you up to the idea that sleeping in the workplace might be a good thing.
希望今天的节目能让你了解到上班时间打个盹可能是件好事。
Oh really! That's good to hear.
是吗!听到这个可真好啊。
I would have thought that sleeping at work was against the rules.
我还觉得上班时间睡觉是违反规定的事情呢。
Not in every office, Finn, and I'll tell you why soon as well as explaining some sleep-related vocabulary.
并不是在每家公司都是这样的,Finn,一会我就会告诉你为什么,然后再让我们来学一些和睡眠有关的词汇。
But now you're wide awake, how about a question?
现在你很清醒对吧,回答个问题怎么样?
OK, let's hear it.
好的,来听听。
When the former British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, was in power,
前英国首相Margaret Thatcher执政时期,
she did her job with very little sleep.
她每天只睡很少的时间。
Do you know how many hours of sleep she is said to have had each night?
你知道她每天都睡几个小时吗?
a) Three hours
a)3个小时
b) Four hours
b)4个小时
c) Five hours
c)5个小时
I always thought she got by, she managed her job, with just four hours of sleep a night.
我一直以为她每天只睡4个小时左右,其余时间都在工作。
Not much, is it?
不太长,对吧?
We'll find out if you are right or wrong later.
一会我们再来揭晓答案。
I'm not sure if she chose not to sleep for long or she just wasn't able to sleep for long.
我不太清楚到底是她故意不睡太久还是她睡不着。
Someone who can't sleep is called an insomniac.
那些睡不着觉的人被叫做失眠症患者。
And I'm certainly not an insomniac.
显然我可不是。
I enjoy sleeping all night and some of the day too.
我晚上睡眠很好,有时候白天也能睡着。
And Rob, you said napping during the day is a good thing?
Rob,你刚才说白天打瞌睡是件好事来着?
It's always nice to have a short sleep – or what I call 40 winks – during the day,
白天小憩一会是很舒服的一件事——也可以把打盹叫做40 winks。
but when you're at work this can be a problem.
但是如果你在工作的时候这样做就是个问题了。
In some companies, like Google and the Huffington Post, workplace naps are positively encouraged.
一些公司,比如谷歌和赫芬顿邮报,是非常鼓励员工在工作场所小睡一会的。
They're seen as a way to make staff more productive.
他们认为这样有助于提高员工的创造性。
So you mean they work harder and are more creative because a power-nap – a quick sleep –
所以你的意思是他们打一会瞌睡之后就能更好地工作并更具有创造性
makes workers feel refreshed and more alert. I like the sound of this!
也会让他们觉得神清气爽,反应更加灵敏。我喜欢这种说法!
An Australian health writer called Thea O'Connor, is a founder of a campaign called Nap Now which is trying to make sleeping at work more acceptable.
澳大利亚健康作者Thea O‘Connor是 Nap Now活动的发起者,该活动旨在让人们接受上班期间睡眠的理念。
She calls herself a 'naptivist'! Let's hear from her now.
她把自己叫做“打盹主义者”。下面让我们听听她是怎么说的。
What does she stay is stopping us from doing this?
她所说的阻止我们这样做的原因是什么?
I think that our culture is a bit crazy not to embrace it,
我认为我们的文化不接受这种观点是有一些疯狂的。
and one of the reasons we don't is our attitude,
其中一个原因就是我们的态度,
you know it's quite counter-cultural to do nothing in order to get ahead.
大家都知道,什么都不做就想取得进步的想法是反传统的。
I just really see that it's time to disrupt the prevailing work ethic which is all about work longer and harder.
我想是时候打破那种长时间努力工作的传统工作理论了。
Right, so she wants us to embrace – to accept – the idea of a workplace power-nap.
是的,她想让我们接受在工作期间打盹休息的观念。
But it is our attitude – the way we think about work – that stops society from accepting this.
但是,是我们的态度——我们对于工作的态度——阻止了整个社会接受这个观点。
Yes, she explains that it is counter-cultural – so going against the normal way of thinking – to actually do nothing and have a snooze.
没错,她解释说上班时间睡觉这是反文化的——就是和正常的思考方式相违背。
That's why she is trying to change – or disrupt – our current work ethic of working longer and harder.
这就是为什么她想尝试改变——或者打破现有的关于长时间拼命工作的观念。
She believes this doesn't necessarily bring better results.
她相信这种工作理念不一定会带来好的结果。
But Rob, is this idea just a fad – something that's popular for a short while?
但是Rob,这个想法是不是只是一时的流行啊?
Maybe, but research has certainly shown that good quantity and quality of sleep is important for our wellbeing.
可能是,但是调查显示高质量、充足的睡眠对我们的健康非常有益处。
A few years ago research by the East of England Development Agency found 30% of people have their best ideas in bed compared to just 11% who have them at their desk.
几年前,英格兰东部发展署的调查显示30%的人在床上的时候能想到好点子,而只有11%的人会在办公桌上想到好点子。
It called for companies to install beds in the workplace.
这呼吁企业在办公地点安放一些床铺。
Well, there aren't any in our office yet Rob.
好吧,不过在我们办公室里可没有床,Rob。
I think putting beds or areas for naps in the office would help us workers feel more able to rest and recharge our minds.
我想在办公室安放床铺或者设置休息区域有助于我们更好地休息,并让我们的大脑保持清醒。
An alternative idea would be to change our working hours.
还有一个主张是改变我们的工作时间。
The UK's Sleep Council claims the nine-to-five work culture does not fit into the natural sleeping pattern of the human race and bosses need to introduce a more sleep-friendly working day.
英国睡眠委员会声称朝九晚五的工作文化并不适合人类的自然睡眠模式,老板们应该引进一种更有助睡眠的工作模式。
That sounds like a siesta to me - a short period of sleep in the middle of the day that people in warm places like Spain often have.
这听起来像是午休啊——诸如西班牙等温暖地区的人们会在在一天的当中小睡一会。
My problem with a siesta is that if I have a sleep in the afternoon I'd never wake up!
但我的问题是如果我午睡了我可就起不来了啊!
Well before you nod off now Rob, could you please tell me the answer to today's question.
Rob,在你睡过去之前,你能告诉我今天问题的答案吗。
Yes. I asked you if you knew how many hours of sleep the former British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, is said to have had each night?
好的,我问你的问题是前英国首相Margaret Thatcher据说每天晚上睡几个小时?
Three, four or five hours?
3、4还是5个小时?
I said four hours Rob.
我选的是4个小时,Rob。
You are right.
你答对了。
It has often been said she needed just four hours of sleep – only on weekdays, not weekends.
据说她每天只需要睡4个小时——不过只是在工作日,不是周末。
Well before you have another power-nap, could you remind us of some of the vocabulary we've heard today:
在你接着休息之前,你能和大家再来复习一下今天学到的单词吗:
Yes, we heard:
好的,我们听到的单词有:
napping
打盹
nod off
瞌睡
sleeping on the job
上班时间睡觉
insomniac
失眠症患者
40 winks
打盹
power-nap
补觉
naptivist
打盹主义者
attitude
态度
counter-cultural
反文化
work ethic
工作伦理
wellbeing
幸福,健康
nine-to-five
朝九晚五
siesta
午休
Thanks. We hope you've enjoyed today's programme.
谢谢,希望大家喜欢今天的节目。
Please join us again soon for another 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
请大家下次继续关注我们的六分钟英语节目。