寒冷有助减肥!
Chill and lose weight!
Hello I'm Rob….
大家好,我是Rob……
… and I'm Finn…
大家好,我是Finn……
… and this is 6 Minute English.
欢迎收听我们的六分钟英语节目。
In today's programme we're talking about slimming –
在今天的节目里我们将要讨论的话题是瘦身——
in other words, doing something to lose weight and get thinner.
换句话说就是,做一些事情来减少体重,让身材变得更加苗条。
Not a problem for you Finn?
这对你来说不是个问题吧,Finn?
Well, I do have a small tyre of fat that is growing around my middle –
呃,不瞒你说,我的肚子上已经长了一圈肉肉的“小轮胎“了——
so even I don't have a perfect body!
所以说我也不能算是有非常完美的身材!
It doesn't show and maybe you are what we call TOFI –
不过你一点也看不出来啊,可能你就是传说中的TOFI吧——
that's thin on the outside and fat on the inside.
TOFI就是说那些外表看起来很瘦,但实际上偷着胖的那类人。
But for people who perceive – or think they may be fat on the outside,
但是,对于那些意识到——或者认为自己外表看起来很胖的人来说,
there could be some good news.
他们的好消息来了。
And this is to do with research about the temperature of your house.
是一个和我们家里的温度有关的调查研究。
We'll explain more soon and we will look at some related vocabulary.
我们接下来会进一步解释这个问题并学一些相关的词汇。
But first Rob, have you got a question for me?
不过Rob,按规矩来你是不是要先问我一个问题?
Of course. I have a big fat question for you.
没错。我有一个大大的问题要问你。
This is about calories –
是关于卡路里的——
these are the units that measure how much energy you get from food.
卡路里是用来计算我们从食物里摄入了多少能量的单位。
People who want to lose weight try to eat food with fewer calories in them.
想要减肥的人们要食用那些低卡路里的食物。
But what is the recommended number of calories an average man needs each day to maintain a healthy weight? Is it:
那么,你知道一个正常男性每日摄入多少卡路里的能量才能保持一个健康的体重呢?选项有:
a) 2,000 calories
a) 2,000卡路里
b) 2,500 calories
b) 2,500 卡路里
c) 3,000 calories
c) 3,000 卡路里
I should know this.
我应该知道答案。
I think it's c) 3,000 calories.
我想应该是c) 3,000卡路里吧。
We'll find out if you are right later on.
稍后我们来揭晓答案。
Let's talk more now about a possible new way to slim – or lose weight.
下面让我们来聊聊一种可能带来瘦身或者说减肥效果的方法。
New research has found that heating your house too much could make you fat!
新的研究发现,家里温度过高会导致人发胖!
And turning the central heating down could make you lose the pounds!
降低中央供暖系统的温度可以让你减少体重!
This is the claim from Dr Wouter van Marken Lichtenbelt,
这是Wouter van Marken Lichtenbelt博士提出的新发现,
who is a biologist at Maastricht University Medical Centre.
他是马斯特里赫特大学医学中心的一名生物学家。
That's right.
没错。
He got some brave volunteers to spend six hours every day for ten days indoors,
他找到了一些勇敢的志愿者,让他们在十天内每天花6个小时呆在室内,
in temperatures of just 15 to 16 degrees Celsius whilst just wearing t-shirts and shorts.
身穿T恤和短裤呆在室温为15至16摄氏度的房间内。
That's not something I would normally do!
我一般可不会这么做的!
But these guinea pigs – a name for people who are used in experiments -
但是这些天竺鼠们——这个词是用来指那些参加实验的人们——
became accustomed to – or used - the cold,
他们逐渐适应了这种寒冷的环境,
and their metabolism worked faster.
而他们的新陈代谢也比一般情况下进行的更快速了。
Metabolism is an important thing.
新陈代谢可是相当重要的。
This is the chemical process in your body that causes you to burn food and turn it in to energy.
这是发生在我们体内的一种把食物转化成能量的化学过程。
So in this research, living in cooler conditions made people's body's burn food faster.
所以在该试验中,较冷的环境让人们能够更快的消化食物。
Yes, so they burnt off the calories and that means they lost weight.
没错,所以他们燃烧掉了卡路里,也减轻了自己的体重。
It sounds like a simple and easy diet. Doesn't it, Rob?
这听起来可是相当容易的节食过程啊。是不是,Rob?
I like the sound of a diet that doesn't involve too much effort!
节食这个词听起来好多了,感觉不会费太多力!
It doesn't mean you can just be a couch potato –
但是这并不意味着你只要做一颗“沙发土豆(电视迷)”就可以了——
you still need to do some exercise.
你还是要去做一些体育锻炼。
But living in a cooler temperature could help to some extent and this is because of 'brown fat'.
但是生活在较冷的环境里能够在一定程度上起到一些作用,而原因就在于”褐色脂肪“。
Brown fat!
褐色脂肪!
Let's find out more about this from Dr Wouter van Marken Lichtenbelt,
下面让我们在来听听Wouter van Marken Lichtenbelt博士是怎么说的吧,
who's been speaking to the BBC's Health Check programme.
他接受了BBC健康检查节目的采访。
What happens to brown fat when it is activated?
当褐色脂肪被激活的时候会发生什么事情呢?
Brown fat cells are not really filled with fat,
褐色脂肪细胞其实并不含脂肪,
but with other particles that can increase energy metabolism a lot.
而是含有许多可以大幅促进能量代谢的物质。
So if brown fat gets activated it produces heat so it warms up the body.
所以,当褐色脂肪被激活的时候,它会产生很多热量来温暖身体。
So he says brown fat isn't actually fat!
怪不得他说褐色脂肪其实并不是脂肪!
It has particles that help to increase your metabolism.
它其实含有一些可以促进新陈代谢的微粒。
When it is activated – or starts working –
当它被激活——或者说是开始工作的时候——
it makes heat and that warms up the body.
它会产生热量,温暖身体。
Yes, it's interesting stuff –
恩,这可真有意思啊——
and brown fat actually increases after living in cold conditions.
而当我们处在寒冷的环境中时,褐色脂肪就会增加。
t's particularly found in animals that hibernate –
我们在冬眠的动物身上就发现了这种现象——
the ones that sleep during the winter.
就是那些在冬天要依靠睡眠来抵抗寒冷的动物。
A similar experiment took place in Japan which led to people losing weight.
日本也有过类似的实验,结果也是受试者的体重降低了。
But I find if the temperature is colder,
但是我发现啊,当室温低的时候,
I want to eat more to warm me up –
我总想吃些东西来暖身——
particulary unhealthy food or what we call, comfort food.
尤其是那些不健康的食物,我们把它们叫做慰藉食物。
Oh, yes, me too. But the Doctor says we mustn't –
噢,是啊,我也是。但是这位生物博士也说了我们不能这样做——
and he explains that losing weight this way also depends on other lifestyle factors –
他还解释道,通过这种低温环境来减肥的方法也要依托一些其他的生活方式方面的因素——
so other ways we lead our life, such as exercise and what we eat.
其他的一些生活方式,如健身和饮食。
But he does feel understanding environmental conditions –
但是他也意识到了环境因素——
where we live and work – could be useful in the future.
我们工作和生活的环境在未来的重要性。
He thinks a factor like temperature has been neglected – or not thought important.
他认为一直以来一些因素总是被忽略,或者说是被认为没有那么重要,如室内温度。
But he believes it should be thought about when designing heating and cooling systems for homes and offices.
但他相信,在设计住宅以及工作场所的供暖和制冷系统的时候应该考虑到这个问题。
What does it mean? Does this mean I am going to be shivering when I'm at work?!
这个我可不太明白,他的意思是说我在工作的时候应该冻得瑟瑟发抖吗?!
Well you will be producing extra brown fat instead of the other fat!
那样你就可以产生褐色脂肪而不是真正的脂肪啦!
But seriously, the Doctor is just talking about turning the temperature down a few degrees,
不过认真点来说,博士的意思是把室温调的略微低那么几度而已,
not turning the room into a freezer.
并不是说把房间变成冰箱那些冷。
It would certainly help reduce electricity and gas bills!
这样还能帮助我们节约电费和煤气费呢!
Well it's time now to reveal the answer to the question I set you earlier.
好吧,又到了我们揭晓问题答案的时候啦。
I asked you what is the recommended number of calories an average man needs each day to maintain a healthy weight?
我问你的问题是,一个正常男性每天应摄入多少卡路里的能量来维持健康的体重?
I said c) 3,000 calories.
我说的是 c) 3,000 卡路里。
The answer is 2,500 calories per day.
不过,答案是 2,500卡路里。
And the recommended number calories for an average woman is 2,000 per day.
而一个正常的女性每日建议摄入的卡路里是2000。
Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
好的,又到了节目的最后啦
Please join us again soon. Bye-bye.
希望大家下次继续收听我们,再见。
Bye.
再见。