骑单车人士的道路安全
Road safety for cyclists
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English from bbclearningenglish.com.
大家好,欢迎来到BBC6分钟英语。
My name is Jennifer and I’m joined in the studio by Neil.
我是 Jennifer,和我在工作室的是Neil。
Hello. In this programme, we look at a story in the news and teach you some new vocabulary and expressions along the way.
大家好。在这期的节目里,我们看一个新闻故事,同时教给大家一些新的词汇和表达短语。
In this episode, we’re going to be talking about cycling and how to keep safe on the road.
这期节目,我们要讨论的话题是骑车和如何在道路上保持安全。
Do you cycle, Neil?
你骑单车吗,Neil?
Yes I do. I use my bike to commute, or travel to work.
骑车。我上下班或外出工作都会骑自行车。
It’s quite a long journey, but it’s much cheaper than taking the Tube or the train.
这是一段很长的路程,不过这要比坐地铁或火车便宜多了。
What about you, Jen?
你呢,Jen?
Well, I’ve just bought a folding bike – that’s a bike that you can take apart, fold up and carry if you don’t want to ride it.
额,我刚买了一台折叠车--就是那种如果你不想骑它就可以拆开,折叠,携带的自行车。
For me, it’s a good way to get fit.
对我来讲,这是个健身的好方法。
A folding bike is very handy. But they are very expensive.
折叠式自行车是非常方便的。但是非常贵。
You can hire bicycles for short journeys in London.
在伦敦短途你可以租自行车的。
It leads me on to today’s question.
这也说到今天的问题。
OK, what is it?
好吧,是什么呢?
A record number of bikes were hired on one day during the London Olympic Games in 2012.
在2012年伦敦奥运会期间一天出租自行车的记录的数量。
But how many times were bikes borrowed on this day? Was it:
在这一天自行车出租的次数是多少呢?
a) 15,000
a) 15,000
b) 31,000
b) 31,000
c) 47,000
c) 47,000
Well, those are all very high numbers, but I'm going to guess c) 47,000.
啊,这几个数字都很高,不过我选c) 47,000。
We’ll find out if you’re right at the end of the programme.
在节目最后让我们看看你是否是正确的。
So, let’s go back to our story about cycling.
让我们再次回到骑单车的话题。
We’ve said that the advantages are that it is a good way to get fit and a cheap way to travel.
我们刚才已经说了,骑单车的优点是它是健身的好方法和一种廉价的旅行方式。
But, are there any disadvantages?
但是有没有缺点呢?
I suppose that it can be a dangerous way to travel if you're cycling in a city centre, especially in heavy traffic.
我认为这是一个危险的旅行方式如果你是在市中心骑车,尤其是在交通拥挤的时候。
Heavy traffic means lots of cars or other vehicles on the road.
交通拥挤意味着路上有大量的汽车和其他车辆。
Many cyclists now wear helmet cameras – a device attached to their cycling helmet – so that they can film people who drive dangerously.
很多骑车的人现在会戴头盔摄像头--是一个附加到头盔上的设备--这样他们就可以拍摄到危险驾驶的人。
Listen to this clip of London cyclist Ben Porter.
让我们听一下伦敦骑单车的人 Ben Porter的剪辑。
Why did he start using a helmet camera?
为什么他要开始用头盔摄像头?
I first got the camera because I’d had trouble convincing friends and family of what actually happened on the roads,
我第一次使用相机是因为我难以说服朋友和家人在道路上到底发生了什么,
and I’d thought that having a camera and footage would be a good way of explaining what it’s like to be a cyclist on the road.
我认为有一台照相机和镜头是一个可以解释一个人在路上是怎么骑车子的好办法。
I always saw it as some form of insurance and it did feel like, as a cyclist, I didn’t have as much behind me as, say, a car driver with an insurance company.
我一直认为这是某种形式的保险,而且它确实让人这么觉得,一个骑自行车人,我不像和我身后的,我说的有保险的汽车司机那么有钱。
So, that was cyclist Ben Porter.
所以,这就是骑自行车的人Ben Porter。
He said he thought that having a camera and footage would be a good way to explain what it’s like to be a cyclist on the road.
他说他认为有一台照相机和镜头是一个可以解释一个人在路上是怎么骑车子的好办法。
Footage is what a video camera records.
录像就是视频摄像机的记录。
When the camera is attached to your head, the footage shows the journey from your point of view.
当摄像机连接到头上时,它就会从你的角度来记录行程。
Ben Porter gave another reason why he started to use the camera.
Ben Porter也给出了他为什么开始使用摄像头的另一个原因。
Did you hear what it was?
你听到是什么了吗?
He said it was a form of insurance.
他说那是一种保险形式。
That means it gives the cyclist a form of protection.
那就是说它给了骑自行车的人一种保护的形式。
Let’s hear that clip of Ben again.
让我们再听一遍 Ben的剪辑。
Listen this time for the words ‘footage’ and ‘insurance’.
这次让我们听一下单词“footage” and“insurance”。
I first got the camera because I’d had trouble convincing friends and family of what actually happened on the roads,
我第一次使用相机是因为我难以说服朋友和家人在道路上到底发生了什么,
and I’d thought that having a camera and footage would be a good way of explaining what it’s like to be a cyclist on the road.
我认为有一台照相机和镜头是一个可以解释一个人在路上是怎么骑车子的好办法。
I always saw it as some form of insurance and it did feel like, as a cyclist, I didn’t have as much behind me as, say, a car driver with an insurance company.
我一直认为这是某种形式的保险,而且它确实让人这么觉得,一个骑自行车人,我不像和我身后的,我说的有保险的汽车司机那么有钱。
So, Ben got the camera so that he could show what it’s like to be a cyclist on the road, and also to protect himself from blame if there was an accident.
因此Ben用摄像机一边他能给别人解释在路上骑自行车是什么养的,同事也是保护他自己免受责备如果发生意外的话。
Having a camera can give you peace of mind – it can make you feel safer in terms of the law – but it can’t stop you from being hit by a car.
拥有一台摄像机可以给你内心的和平--它可以让你觉得在法律方面更安心--但是它不能防止你被后面的车撞到。
How do you think cyclists could be safer, Neil?
Neil,你觉得骑自行车的怎样才能更安全呢?
I think that both cyclists and drivers need to pay attention to The Highway Code.
我觉得是骑自行车的人和开车的司机们都要注意 The Highway Code(编者译:英国高速公路规则)。
The Highway Code is a list of rules that drivers and cyclists must obey – or do.
高速公路规则是一系列的司机和骑自行车的人必须遵守的--或者说做的规则。
How do you think cyclists could be safer?
你觉得骑自行车的人怎样才能够更安全?
I think it’s important to be visible – for other road users to know you’re there.
我认为可见很重要--让在其他道路上的人知道你在那里。
Many people wear fluorescent clothing which is very bright and reflective…
很多人穿荧光衣--非常明亮,反光很好...
And don’t forget – a helmet could save your life!
并且不要忘记--一个头盔可以挽救你的生命!
Time now to get the answer to the quiz.
到揭晓谜底的时候了。
I asked how many bicycles were borrowed on one day in London during the 2012 Olympics. Was it:
我刚才问的是在2012年伦敦奥运会期间自行车被接触的数量是多少?
a) 15,000
a) 15,000
b) 31,000
:b) 31,000
c) 47,000
c) 47,000
And I guessed c) 47,000.
我猜是c) 47,000。
And you were right!
你猜对了!
Aha!
啊哈!
On that day alone, bikes were hired 47,105 times.
仅仅在那一天,自行车租借次数是47,105次。
Well, that is a lot of cycling.
啊,那是很多的自行车。
There must have been lots of tired people in London that day.
那天的伦敦肯定有很多疲劳的人们。
I’m sure! Do join us again for another edition of 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. Bye!
肯定的啊!一定要再次加入我们BBC6分钟英语。( ^_^ )/~~拜拜!
Bye!
8~!